Liberty Renallís Towards Muriwai

(RETIRED)

Formerly brewed at Liberty Brewing Co
Style: Imperial Stout
Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.75/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a beer with a story, entered in the Brew NZ Awards under festive brew and was awarded bronze. This beer was brewed to celebrate the 12 years that Christina and I have been together for. 1% of abv to represent each year...problem is, I didnít do my sums right, and we only ended up with 11% ABV. Itís a "Black Forest Stout" meaning I have used an imperial chocolaty nature of a stout for the chocolate end of the Black forest... and then there is the 15 grams per liter of Sour Morello cherries to add their character. I also used coconut nectar as a fermentable and to add some slickness to the palate. The beer symbolizes Mine and Christinaís relationship. We both spent a lot of our youth at Muriwai, which is depicted in the label. The artwork came of an art teacher we both had at College. We met each other at this college 12 years ago, and ended up getting married. Now we own a brewery together making special beers with fuckloads of booze and interesting flavours in them! On a side note, this is the Ladies Beer I was talking about all those months ago. My entire point was that it not whatís in the bottle that makes it a ladies beer. Itís the sentiment. The imagery... that marketing etc. Who would have thought that an 11% ABV imperial stout would count as a ladies beer?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
omega (697) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 25, 2012
Impressive looking beer. Deep dark rich brown black with a nice rich nice. Sweeter and thinner on the palate than expected (though I was expecting a lot). Cherry undertones come through. For an 11% beverage the alcohol is nicely masked.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fletchfighters (1077) - AUSTRALIA - AUG 24, 2012
Solid little RIS. Thanks to Rohan for opening this up. More murky brown than black. Nice light brown head with great retention. more of a floral smell with cherries mixed in and notes of coconut. Some char and ash for good measure. Mostly chocolate cherry taste. Not bold and assertive but more smooth and velvety really. More interesting as a cherry RIS and better done than most NZ ERIS have been done so far.