overall
Ridgeway
Brewed at Hepworth

Style: Barley Wine
Reading, England

RATINGS: 350   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
Bottle conditioned, Special;
Imperial Red Ale
"My goodness", muttered Claus, recalling his visit to the Institute, "the restrictive outerwear, the padded room-even padded Christmas tree ornaments. Horrifying! Yet the little chap seems happier than he’s ever been" Claus took a thoughtful sip of a most warming red ale. "Perhaps sanity is over-rated...Ho,Ho,Ho!"

gururyan's rating

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
gururyan (634) - Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA - APR 11, 2014
UPDATED: APR 12, 2014 Heavy alcohol taste, quite medicinal...not very good at all. Forcing it down. UPDATE: So just before I tried to finish the last inch of this crap in my glass, I began to feel feverish. My ears began to pound. Then my fingertips started to itch, beneath the skin. Before I knew it, I was writhing in discomfort and the palms of my hands were extremely itchy and tingly—under the skin. I had to run to the bathroom which is when I noticed I was breaking out with a bumpy rash all over my body. I was having an allergic reaction (and digestive reaction) to this aptly named beer. I know it was the beer because I hadn’t ingested anything other than water for 6 hours prior and felt great up until I got halfway through this "beer." I have sense learned I am allergic to really bad beer that tries to hide behind lame attempts at marketing. When will I learn to avoid gimmicky beer?…lesson learned. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Bulk_Carrier (2264) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - DEC 20, 2014
Several samples at Cafe Amsterdam. The appearance was a light colored caramel with a slight transparency about it. Light carbonation was seen rising at a moderate pace. A little white head was there and that dissipated fairly quickly. The smell had a weird grainy and somewhat sweet cereal - esque quality with a sugary toffee to it. The taste copied the smell and that had a light candy aftertaste to it. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a slight sessionability about it. 11.5%? Uhh...it didn’t seem that way to me. Overall, I say this was a weird barleywine as I want to say that the smell seemed a bit weird to me along with the taste. I don’t think I would try this again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
crossovert (7885) - Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2014
33cl bottle. 2013 vintage. Seems like basically a barleywine ale. Deep amber pour, sweet caramel notes, hint of hop spice, hot and boozy even with age. VEry sweet and sugary. Its okay.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sledutah (5100) - Utah, USA - DEC 19, 2014
2014 330ml bottle picked up at Wilburs
Pours clear golden with a small off-white head, some lacing. Aroma of apples, caramel, bready and ripe fruit. Taste is malty, caramel, hot alcohols and pine resin. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky
Couldn’t drink much of this. Sweet, malty and thick

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Stoned99 (118) - Quebec, CANADA - DEC 16, 2014
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2014 Vintage 2013 bottle, thanks Peter. Aroma: Apple’s in caramel, cherries, alcohol. App: clear copper with small white head. Taste and palate: medium body, oily medium to high sweetness. Soft carbonation. Sweet alcohol finish. Overall: we definitely can feel the alcohol on it’s way down, not sure if desired or not by the brewer. A tad too swee, not well balancedt..an ok barley wine.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
zoucrew102 (612) - - DEC 14, 2014
Bottle, 2014 vintage. Boozy, cough medicine like aroma with notes of cherry and plum. Pours reddish-amber with a thin white head with good retention and lacing. Starts with some sweet caramel and cherry and plum flavors. Finishes smooth with boozy cherry and plum flavors with a bit of astringency at the very end. Pretty good but very light in body and boozy for a barleywine.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Fatehunter (1384) - Corbett, Oregon, USA - DEC 13, 2014
Pours a half finger of head on a clear straw body. The aroma is malty, a little boozy, and some lemon. The taste is super sweet across the board. There’s some plum and other ripe fruits. The texture is soft. My wife likes it but I’m not too fond of the sweetness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
yngwie (14146) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle. Almost clear in the glass, golden in color and with a dense, finger-thick beige head. The aroma is one the malty side, with alcohol and a touch of acetone. Some piney hints. The flavor is pretty sweet, with caramel maltyness, bready hints, alcohol and acetone. Full body with alcohol warmth. Lasting finish. Too much alcohol in this one. Not particularly good actually. 141213

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Geokkjer (6016) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle. Pours golden with an off-white head. Aroma of malt, some caramel, alcohol and glue. Flavor is sweet and malty with some alcohol, caramel, red apples and fruitiness. Full body, soft carbonation.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Meilby (8266) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle 330ml @ Geokkjer
Pours clear deep golden with a off-white head. Aroma has notes of malt, caramel, alcohol, grain and floral. Taste is medium to heavy sweet and light bitter. with a long warm and caramel finish. Body is full, texture is oily, carbonation is soft.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Luvystypotables (789) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - DEC 4, 2014
Pungent aroma of a sour, pours a clear amber color. Taste of sweet malt with a creamy feel and a sweet malt finish.