overall
Ridgeway
Brewed at Hepworth

Style: Barley Wine
Reading, England

RATINGS: 333   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
Bottle conditioned, Special;
Imperial Red Ale
"My goodness", muttered Claus, recalling his visit to the Institute, "the restrictive outerwear, the padded room-even padded Christmas tree ornaments. Horrifying! Yet the little chap seems happier than he’s ever been" Claus took a thoughtful sip of a most warming red ale. "Perhaps sanity is over-rated...Ho,Ho,Ho!"

k0mpsa's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
k0mpsa (1078) - Järvenpää, - NOV 16, 2012
Bottle at salhojankadun pub. Clear red-brown color. White head disappears quickly. Aroma of sweetness, little alcohol, oak. Sweet taste, oak, some hops, low co2. Little bit too sweet, but like the flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
NeoHippie2 (931) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JUN 30, 2014
Red/brown pour with an off white head. Big sweet aromas of dark fruit and malts. Flavor is very sweet candied plums and figs with a touch of brown sugar. Very sweet. But the abv us well hidden. Respectable offering.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sigmund (4949) - Tau, NORWAY - MAY 17, 2014
330 ml bottle, vintage 2011, from Voldby Købmandsgaard. ABV is 11.2%. Reddish amber colour, moderate off-white head. Strong aroma of malt sugar, molasses, alcohol, oak and fortified wine. The flavour is sweet, malty and very alcoholic, notes of caramel, some hops in the finish. Warming mouthfeel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
daknole (8914) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAY 6, 2014
Brownish pour, light tan head. Malty sweet, caramel, dark buckwheat pancakes, sticky. Not my thing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
VastActiv (2636) - Oulu, FINLAND - APR 18, 2014
Bottle at Gallow’s Bird, Espoo. Originally rated 26112011. Colour is dark orange with small white head. Aromas and flavours: Alcohol, sweetness, caramel and malts.

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
gururyan (585) - Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA - APR 11, 2014
UPDATED: APR 12, 2014 Heavy alcohol taste, quite medicinal...not very good at all. Forcing it down. UPDATE: So just before I tried to finish the last inch of this crap in my glass, I began to feel feverish. My ears began to pound. Then my fingertips started to itch, beneath the skin. Before I knew it, I was writhing in discomfort and the palms of my hands were extremely itchy and tingly—under the skin. I had to run to the bathroom which is when I noticed I was breaking out with a bumpy rash all over my body. I was having an allergic reaction (and digestive reaction) to this aptly named beer. I know it was the beer because I hadn’t ingested anything other than water for 6 hours prior and felt great up until I got halfway through this "beer." I have sense learned I am allergic to really bad beer that tries to hide behind lame attempts at marketing. When will I learn to avoid gimmicky beer?…lesson learned. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
maekchu (1973) - Hirakata, JAPAN - MAR 13, 2014
Bottle from Five Points Bottle Shop (Atl Hwy). Big caramel roast aroma, along with considerable alc. fumes. Light reddish copper color. Stewed peaches, toffee, some pepper, and a light bitter more-or-less dry finish. Medium body, a bit thick. Pleasant aroma. A bit too much, noticeable alcohol; otherwise fine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
evergreen0199 (1941) - Northwood, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 22, 2014
Bottle from Terre de Boissons, Coquelles, France. A dark amber coloured pour with a thin white head on top. Sweet, fruity, honey aroma. Tastes similar, quite sweet, fruity, honey, caramel, syrupy. Hints of De Dolle Stille Nacht in this one. I rather like it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
daje (2043) - NORWAY - FEB 17, 2014
Bottle. Cloudy orange body, small beige head. Sweet strawberry jam aroma with caramel and alcohol. Taste is light spicy, with red berries, alcohhol, toffee. Sweetness is pretty short, and the beer ends on a drier hoppy side, with an alcohol and fruit aftertaste. A bit too noticable alcohol in this, otherwise enjoyable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Patrickctenchi (3446) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JAN 6, 2014
Bottle: Clear dark amber, with a short, off-white head. Scent is caramel, cherry, alcohol. Taste is tart, boozy, fruit and toffee. Honey, candy sugar. Very sweet, but finishes with a strong alcohol bitter/cough syrup note. Rather harsh, overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
harrymel (1479) - Spokane, Washington, USA - DEC 25, 2013
Reviewed from notes: 12/20/10 12oz bottle for $4 at Huck’s in Spokane, WA Vintage 2007 Poured from bottle to Sam Adams signature glass. A: Orange, red ale with excellent clarity. No head - as expected. No yeast in glass or bottle - must have been micro-filtered and forced carbonated. S: Cherries, malt, orange, orange pekoe tea dominate the nose on this one. Not bad. Reminiscent of Imperial Red style. Sweeter malt background. T: The sweetness of the malt is painted with herbal hop notes, earthy. Unfortunate copper, iron, chemical flavors seem to dominate this beer. Little to no hop flavor. M: Medium body, low carbonation. Standard aged ale feel here. D: I’m glad I only picked up one of these. Doesn’t meet my expectations for a well aged beer. Quite the let down. Serving type: bottle 12-22-2010