overall
Ridgeway
Brewed at Hepworth

Style: Barley Wine
South Stoke, England

RATINGS: 390   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
Bottle conditioned, Special;
Imperial Red Ale
"My goodness", muttered Claus, recalling his visit to the Institute, "the restrictive outerwear, the padded room-even padded Christmas tree ornaments. Horrifying! Yet the little chap seems happier than he’s ever been" Claus took a thoughtful sip of a most warming red ale. "Perhaps sanity is over-rated...Ho,Ho,Ho!"

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
swanmann (723) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - AUG 26, 2015
2014 vintage: Dark amber orange, fairly vigorous pour resulted in a thin layer of tan suds that linger for about a minute. Smells a bit like bourbon, alcoholic, toffee, apricot and syrupy fruit. The taste is about the same, muted alcoholic burn, caramel with a subtle toasty bread crust flavor, finishing with some sweet fruit. Medium bodied, slightly syrupy.

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
gururyan (715) - Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA - APR 11, 2014
UPDATED: APR 12, 2014 Heavy alcohol taste, quite medicinal...not very good at all. Forcing it down. UPDATE: So just before I tried to finish the last inch of this crap in my glass, I began to feel feverish. My ears began to pound. Then my fingertips started to itch, beneath the skin. Before I knew it, I was writhing in discomfort and the palms of my hands were extremely itchy and tingly—under the skin. I had to run to the bathroom which is when I noticed I was breaking out with a bumpy rash all over my body. I was having an allergic reaction (and digestive reaction) to this aptly named beer. I know it was the beer because I hadn’t ingested anything other than water for 6 hours prior and felt great up until I got halfway through this "beer." I have sense learned I am allergic to really bad beer that tries to hide behind lame attempts at marketing. When will I learn to avoid gimmicky beer?…lesson learned. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rynoplasty (700) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - NOV 17, 2009
2007 bottle. Pours clear amber with a small off white head. Aroma is caramel, dark fruit, almost sherry like. Flavor is big caramel and alcohol flavor, with hints of toffee and dark fruit, very low carbonation as well. Not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
20107589 (690) - randers, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2013
honey and licorice aromas, appear amber with a small head. great sweet and bitter taste, and a fine palate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Thechasm442 (685) - Manhattan, Illinois, USA - DEC 24, 2015
Bottle to tulip. Hazy red with a thin off white head. Aroma is molasses and lots of dark fruit. Flavor is brown sugar, apples, and more dark fruit. Average mouthfeel and sticky. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
guzgorog (673) - FRANCE - JAN 21, 2015
Blonde/rousse/rouge, pas de mousse au versage, mais elle apparaît petit à petit alimentée par un tas de petites bulles qui s’extraient doucement du liquide, très étrange. Puis quand on goûte, on comprend mieux, le corps est très dense, même pas liquoreux mais carrement siropeux, les bulles ont du mal à s’échapper de cette mélasse. Pour le reste, c’est moins interssant : nez de bonbon harlequin, banane, caramel, bois. Bouche très sucrée, bonbon, bois, banane. Surprenant mais pas fabuleux...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
twindadplus2 (662) - Wisconsin, USA - FEB 5, 2011
Clear light reddish amber with a thin film of a head. Aroma of toffee, dry wine and a hint of apple skins. Flavor is thick, creamy toffee malt and an alcoholic bite. Full bodied with dry, fruity finish. A bit intense for a barley wine but it’s good and mellowing for a cold winter night.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ChazMania (662) - Oceanside, California, USA - DEC 8, 2007
Bottled. No head at all, very fizzy pour. Sweet aroma. Flavor is sweet. My bottle calls this an Imperial Red, but the label here on Ratebeer calls it a Barley wine, what gives?

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
TonyDiUlio (661) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 20, 2008
not as good as i was hoping. The aroma was too pungent, and the flavor was a bit too full of hops for a barely wine creating a bitter flavor. The color was nice with a dark red pour with moderate head. Not too bad for the alc. content.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
chandler0201 (650) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 12, 2013
Copper pour with little to no carbonation or head. Aroma of dried fruits and cinnamon. Flavor was malty, semi sweet and caramel, with hint of dark fruits. ABV very well masked. Better classification would be strong ale or barleywine though, as there was nothing red ale about this.