overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 581   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Ringwood’s beer brewed under licence in USA by Shipyard.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3daddict (139) - Portland, Maine, USA - JUL 22, 2005
Something about a wild pig on the label has always put me off from trying this beer. Well let’s see: Poured a clear amber color with a one-finger head. Yeasty spice hops in aroma. Surprising more mild in taste than expected. Creamy yeasty hop flavor, very smooth, just a touch bitter and finished clean and dry. Sour yeast aftertaste. Not so scary after all! This is really good beer and my rating went up the more I drank. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
blatz (138) - Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Florida, USA - MAR 2, 2002
Nice dry hopped flavor, but no body to speak of -- this went down so quick the taste was an afterthought -- really didn’t savor well. Much better bitters out there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerman991979 (137) - Old Town, Maine, USA - AUG 7, 2000
Nice hoppy flavor, nice color in my glass. Good beer in general. I recommend you try it if you like bitters(but not in the strict sense of traditional bitters)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
bmanLS (134) - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 11, 2004
Amber to dark amber in color, decent aroma of yeast and hops. Flavor is sharp to bitter. The alchol is not hidden well and a bit overpowering for 5.9% content. Just did’t care for this Extra Special Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BATLMULLET (127) - Highland, Indiana, USA - JUN 28, 2003
Much heavier in body than what I was looking for in hot weather in Portland. Much maltier than expected, with a very full body. Some hoppiness toward the middle. Nice white head that diminished very quickly. I'll bet that this is favorite around Portland in the autumn.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
bruno1378 (126) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 14, 2006
Pours a nice amber with a thick head. Very weak aroma, and very weak tasting as well. Bit of a piney aftertaste. Not bad, just seems a bit weak overall.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bronzan (126) - Windsor, California, USA - AUG 31, 2012
Not a real strong aroma... almost has a ’macro-brew’ scent to it plus a bit of malt and caramel. In the current light, it has almost a burnt orange hue to it. Has a real malty taste. Not much flavor...no hop character to speak to. Pretty forgettable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jspruit (122) - Dublin, IRELAND - NOV 25, 2007
I got this beer down in Florida at Case & Keg because of its Maine ties. I am not a big fan of this style, but I thought that I would give it a shot based on my brother’s advice. Pours with a nice amber color and a 2 finger head that settles down pretty quick. There is a bit of a yeasty smell initially along with some gentle spices. The taste is a bit dry for me with some sweetness and some tannon hints-earthy maybe? I didnt detect too much hops, but there was some light maple taste. The mouthfeel is nice, not too full, but plenty of taste-it just happens not to be my favorite. I think that this could be a nice example of an ESB, but I dont know really too much since it isnt my style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
tommy8768 (120) - Litlle Compton, Rhode Island, USA - MAR 14, 2006
light color orange, not much head. Surprising taste-almost like butterscotch or toffee. Not much hop presence. Probably a good summer beer. Pretty decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
turtlehead (111) - Nottingham, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 14, 2002
Nice beer year round. Cheers!