Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 593   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Ringwood’s beer brewed under licence in USA by Shipyard.

“A Beast of a Beer”

Old Thumper Extra Special Ale was created by veteran British brewer, Peter Austin, founder of Ringwood Brewery in Hampshire, England and mentor to Shipyard’s master brewer is a non-traditional English bitter, brewed in the US solely by Shipyard.

First Brewed: June 1992
IBUs: 35
OG: 1.060

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
uvajed (183) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - MAY 9, 2007
WTF? I obviously am missing something here, or my batch is bad. This ale tastes initially of scorched plastic. Then a little malt and nuttiness sets in. Not bad really, but I was a little surprised; if someone had put this in my mouth without telling me it was some sort of beer, I would have spit it out. A bit o’ hops, and maybe a caramel apple, but shouldn’t an ESB have some bitterness somewhere? This looks nice, and certainly appeals to some people, but it is not what I want in an ESB. I’ll give it a fair rating since it is okay, just not my thing, I guess. Maybe my batch took a turn for the worse since it was labeled as best before this month and sold at roughly half price? I doubt it, but I’m trying to give it a break.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - JAN 27, 2007
redish brown hue with sweetly hoped aroma. good malt hop flavor balance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Shadrach (176) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUN 6, 2004
On tap at The Gate. Poured a light orange with some carbonation. Aroma had hops some sweetness in it.Smooth mouthful with some hops burn on the tongue and a taste of apples? in the aftertaste with some spice. Near the middle of the glass, more spice and more hops with a definite taste of apples in the aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ElPresidente1984 (173) - Maine, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Had this down by the pier at OOB. pours a light copper color with small white head. aroma of floral hops, nutty malts and some yeast, maybe to caramel to. flavor is a nutty malt with some toffee and dry grapes. finnishes with a nice hoppy bitterness. not a bad overall beer, easy to find, in Maine at least

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - MAY 26, 2006
Pours golden copper with a thin white head. Aromas are a little boring: Perhaps me having my head stuck in a gallon of paint for the last 4 hrs is affecting my senses, but I can’t smell anything other then malt...Nutty and grass flavours, light to medium body, some citrus in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
firemedic713 (169) - Palm Bay, Florida, USA - JUN 4, 2004
I liked this one pretty well. Creamy white head, copper color, fruity and hoppy, with a bit of malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kenk99 (168) - Leonia, New Jersey, USA - NOV 14, 2000

stephen louis (165) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 26, 2004
Pours a wonderful amber orange with a strong tan head. The nose is amazing,smells like old wet forests,wine and fruit. Great blend of malt and fruitiness that drys out into a candy and hops finish. Very good body and lots of carbonation making for a excellent drinking experience.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
posikyle (165) - Alabama, USA - JUN 11, 2008
A below average bitter. Aroma was of malts, flavor/mouthfeel was very watered down malts, with a little alcohol bitterness. Wouldn’t buy again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20