overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 581   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Ringwoodís beer brewed under licence in USA by Shipyard.

hopheadfed (6) - crown point, Indiana, USA - MAR 10, 2010 does not count
Do any beer geeks out there know what a gift we have in Alan Pugsley? Extra Special Indeed! If you ever want great English Ale in the states drink some Shipyard people. Mmm, mmm, good!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericmoss3799 (73) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - MAY 14, 2002
Wow itís been a while since I had this, but this brewery has inspired me to brew my own beer. Maybe one of the best brewers in North America.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 29, 2002
I was fortunate enough to order this casked, so Iím going to rate it based on that. A perfect bitter, period. Creamy white head, copper color, fruity and hoppy, with a touch of malt for the kill. I must have put a dent in the cask with how many of these I ordered. I know I sure as hell put a dent in my wallet. My only complaint is that you lose so much in the bottled version. Probably my favorite from Shipyard. The hog on the label looks so tough!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
littlebibs (11) - Kingston, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 25, 2004
This ones a nice find, interesting flavors just a touch of slight smoke back there and it has a dry(not to bitter end). Great mix of flavors well balance beer that I will go back to now and then. I give this a high rating as each time I drink one I find more to like about it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wulfstan (509) - California, USA - SEP 22, 2008
This is a tasty English-style ale. I have not had the one actually brewed in England, but Shipyard’s license-made version is one of the best US-made versions of a real English-style ESB I have had. It’s copper with a medium, dense, off-white head slowly shrinking. The aroma is nutty, fruity with hints of caramel and pine, bread crust, leaves, earth, and overall very English. The taste is very English, earthy and leafy with fruit, a faint hint of a yeasty tang, nutty with bread crust, hint of caramel and licorice, pepper. It is bready and nicely lightly sweet with a lightly dominant earthy bitterness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Davhgbrew (945) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 31, 2002
Wow, very impressed with this brew. Perfectly balanced, just enough hoppiness to go along with the brown sugar sweetness. My favorite Shipyard brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sigma23 (380) - , Maine, USA - APR 4, 2009
easy drinker with a lot of sweet malty flavor. thin on the pour but packed with fresh crisp flavor. great session drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
demdeac40 (299) - Etowah, North Carolina, USA - SEP 21, 2005
As you can tell I love ESB. Pours a beautiful brown color but with little or no head. Aromas of caramel and just a hint of citrus. Stays with the palate with a sweet finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
darkguardian (725) - Florida, USA - JAN 25, 2008
Hand Drawn Draft at the Blue Anchor. Cask Conditioned Iím a bit suprised at the low rating on this one, but perhaps its because of the hand drawn and the fact that this was cask conditioned. Either way pours a nice head with prominent lacing thats mostly pure white. Incredible copper color in the glass. Flavor is quite remarkable. Not bitter in the least but incredible dense with flavors of malt, hop, caramel, and citrus. Slight hop bite at the end but no lingering bitterness at all. Iíll definitely be getting this again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ronaldtheriot (1338) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - FEB 5, 2013
Shipyard Old Thumper Extra Special Ale has a medium-to-thick, off-white head, a hazy, orange-golden appearance, which hazes even more, once the bottom of the bottle is swished and poured in. After that, one can see a descending grey cloud and little brown specks floating about. There is some lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, sugary, and toffee-like barley malt, and the flavor is of the same with a nice hop bitterness, some caramel, sugar, and alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium and soft, and Shiyard Old Thumper Extra Special Ale finishes wet, mild, and delicious. Overall, this is wonderful, and I strongly recommend it. RJT