RATINGS: 104   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.33/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 140   ABV: 4.67%
This beer has an unmistakable roasted chili aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chili is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chili flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

Brewed as Rio Grande Brewing Company, Moriarty, NM.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 25, 2004
Pale piss yellow with no head. Aroma was of nothing but a chili pepper. Watery with nearly no taste, just the slightest hint of heat from the chili. You are gross for liking this derek, but i would choose it over a macro.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - MAR 23, 2004
This was my first chili beer. It was an interesting experience. The aroma was very inviting. It had the aroma of a nacho cheese, or a salsa. It made me quite hungry. As for flavor, it was tasty. The chili pepper flavor could have been more pronounced, and I would have preferred more heat. Although I enjoyed it, I am going to say that it was a bit watered down. Overall not bad. I think this is a style that I would like to get into more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - MAR 22, 2004
Horrid light yellow, no head. Aroma was fairly nice, smelled like movie theater nachos with jalapenos. Flavor was practically nonexistent. If it tasted like it smelled it might not have been all bad, but it didn't.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Oakes (13961) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2011 Pale straw, bright. No head. Oops - chiles have oils, guys. You’ve made this beer long enough to know that. The aroma is roasted green chile mixed with crappy golden ale. Roasted hatch character, but gets greener and less tasty late. The chile does not really mix with the beer well.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
jercraigs (9046) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
Sickly pale yellow body with a waifish head. Aroma and flavour are dominated by chili. Very thin bodied. Why...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
Very pale white-yellow. Thin head. Green chili salsa aroma. Thin feel. Flavour of green chili, grainy corn, & tomato, though surprisingly bland.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 10, 2003
Light pale straw colored with fizzy head. Aroma is full of bell peppers, seranos and jalapenos, light malt lingers in the background screaming for help. Flavor bites hard and ends roasted, but not a roasted malt roasted, like smoked chipotle roasted. Dry and odd feeling. This makes my face numb and my stomach burn, I DID NOT enjoy the feeling this beers instills in me, but the flavor was tolerable at best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 31, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2004 Green chile is a divine and addictive fruit in New Mexico and is consumed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is vastly superior to the insipid jalapeno pepper, hence this is NOT Cave Creek Chili Beer. Aroma is dominated by roasted green chile with some hops buried underneath. Smells like New Mexico during the late summer. Beer flavor is overpowered by green chile, however the heat is very mild. The aftertaste is very acidic, rather like stomach acid. Again not Cave Creek, but it still doesn't work. Peppers simply don't belong in beer. Still, gets points for novelty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUN 23, 2003
What were these guys thinking? I love green chili, but not in my beer, man. This is how I imagine Comet tastes.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Nuffield (3912) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 16, 2003
Light color, ugly aroma (dusty, dirty). I had this against the Cave Creek and the Serrano Pepper Ale and this was the worst profile of the three--the aroma and flavor was more offensive to a non-chili-popper like me. I'm glad some people like this--I found it revolting.