overall

RATINGS: 99   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.33   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 140   ABV: 4.67%
This beer has an unmistakable roasted chili aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chili is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chili flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

Brewed as Rio Grande Brewing Company, Moriarty, NM.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
Very pale white-yellow. Thin head. Green chili salsa aroma. Thin feel. Flavour of green chili, grainy corn, & tomato, though surprisingly bland.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 10, 2003
Light pale straw colored with fizzy head. Aroma is full of bell peppers, seranos and jalapenos, light malt lingers in the background screaming for help. Flavor bites hard and ends roasted, but not a roasted malt roasted, like smoked chipotle roasted. Dry and odd feeling. This makes my face numb and my stomach burn, I DID NOT enjoy the feeling this beers instills in me, but the flavor was tolerable at best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 31, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2004 Green chile is a divine and addictive fruit in New Mexico and is consumed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is vastly superior to the insipid jalapeno pepper, hence this is NOT Cave Creek Chili Beer. Aroma is dominated by roasted green chile with some hops buried underneath. Smells like New Mexico during the late summer. Beer flavor is overpowered by green chile, however the heat is very mild. The aftertaste is very acidic, rather like stomach acid. Again not Cave Creek, but it still doesn't work. Peppers simply don't belong in beer. Still, gets points for novelty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUN 23, 2003
What were these guys thinking? I love green chili, but not in my beer, man. This is how I imagine Comet tastes.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Nuffield (3658) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 16, 2003
Light color, ugly aroma (dusty, dirty). I had this against the Cave Creek and the Serrano Pepper Ale and this was the worst profile of the three--the aroma and flavor was more offensive to a non-chili-popper like me. I'm glad some people like this--I found it revolting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - JUN 15, 2003
aroma of jalapeno, reminded me of CCCB, but not as offensive. The thing I liked most about it is that the brewmaster decided NOT to put a jalapeno pepper in every beer. SHouldnt this be in the veg/herb/spice category?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
aracauna (3035) - Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2003
Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 29, 2002
Being from Arizona, where ’Everything is available with ’Salza’, ’Chilies’ are a mainstay of many meals, this should be a ’Hoot’. Clear gold in color, minimal white head some lace. Nose, the ’archetypal green chili’ aroma. Front is slightly sweet, the top thin, the finish is dry, lightly acidic, some hops, ’Peppery’, spicy, sure the hell different. Actually drinkable, unlike the the Arizona version Ed’s Chili Beer, can’t remember if I rated it here, but will pick up a bottle and compare.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joet (2128) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - APR 9, 2002
Aroma is a rich green chili. An expert could tell you where and the day it was picked it’s so bright and detailed. Headless clear golden SPN 2.7 or so. Light wheatish flavors, a bit piquant, light sweet malt, honts of honey. Delish.