River City Oktoberfest

Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 2.85/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Autumn   ABV: -

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - OCT 27, 2008
Tap at Midwest Brewfest, Wichita, KS.
Pours a deep amber with a sweet, sugary biscuit and sweet red wine aroma. Flavor is leafy pond malt. Average mouthfeel. Good marzen.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2515) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 11, 2004 2004 version: I really don't know what's going on here. Originally it was virtually the same as their red ale, but this version was very different. I noted their grain bill was interesting and complex with 9 or 10 different malts, which explains why there was very little melanoidin character here, and instead a bit of a smoky and bitter roast note, with few hops. Strange vegetal flavors, maybe some DMS, hint at poor lagering, although I was informed that this did indeed spend 3 months in cold storage. Whatever, this brewery needs to refine its lager brewing techniques.

MWBF 2002: Extraordinarily hoppy: spicy resiny hops in aroma and flavor. Light caramel flavor. Wtf? So over-hopped for style and so similar to their Rock Island red, I had to go back and double check that I got the right beer...and I did. The only thing I can imagine otherwise is that they put Rock Island Red in the keg and mislabelled it as their OFest. Next step will be to try this at the brewpub. Otherwise I won't rate this as highly as the Rock Island red.