Rivertowne Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel Stout

Rivertowne Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel Stout
     click to upload

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
A colossal Imperial Stout aged in an authentic Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrel generously supplied by our top shelf whiskey supplier, Phil. Thanks, Phil!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 07/24/2007
Mode: Draft
Source: Brewpub

black, wispy tan head, light sweet roasted aroma with a hint of bourbon, great combination of sweet chocolate and bourbon balanced by the roasted

Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 13/20
Rating: 3.2/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: **+/4

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
cheap (3802) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 11, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 1, 2008 Please, don’t mind my numbers on this one. I rate by how much I enjoy it and this was probably one of the most offensive beers I have tasted! This beer will match up with any impy stout in the top 25. I am serious, bitter complex concoction like you have ever tasted. I’m getting growlers of this and sending it to anybody who likes oak aged Yeti or Expedition. Sweetish candy aroma, big and black appearance, like 100,000 mile used engine oil. Head like chocolate mousse. Barely any carbonation and I swear I saw an oily coffee bean slick on top. This stuff coats your mouth like a good bourbon whiskey, WOW! Killer brew, way to much for my girlie taste buds but I saw this chick across from me say how good it tasted and purred right afterwards. I can’t stop puckering. If you like that big black stuff in the top 25, better seek this out, IMHO it is a killer. It’s a wonder that stuff like this is still classified as a beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4547) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 2, 2007
Barrel aging a beer is often a hit or miss thing with me. Generally speaking it tends to overpower the beer. This is not one of those types of beers. The barrel aging compliments and enhances with this beer. Sampled on draft at the brewery this beer poured a dark black color with a small brown head. The aroma was strong sweet bourbon, roasty malts and sweet chocolate. The flavor was rich sweet bourbon, sweet coffee and sweet chocolate syrup. The barrel took away all the bitterness of the regular imperial stout. When sampled side by side this made their regular imperial stout taste hoppy and harsh. The finish was sweet and silky smooth and hid the alcohol well in my opinion. Ambrosia.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nate (3553) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 17, 2007
Draught sample from brewery. Dark black clear with no head. Thick oily body with smooth carbonation. Oak nose, with chocolate, coffee, vanilla, alcohol vapors and roasted dry bitterness. Starts with great oaken vanilla notes, plum and raisins. A bit of subdued smokiness, with coffee and a light fruity hoppiness. Smooth dry finish. This was done very nicely. Should get even better with aging and I hope I can try this one again. Smooth and rich with great balance.