Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 78   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Flight 1: Roasted Malt and Creamy. Marzen Style.

Brewing moved from City Brewery to High Falls (Genesee) in 2008. The ABV went from 5.7% to 4.5%.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
fidemaster (295) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - AUG 11, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2013 You know this is an interesting beer. Ok beer might not be the right word. It has a very sweet, hoppy, caramel, toffee taste. I really like toffee and caramel so I found this appealing. However its hard to think of this as beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hogan873 (449) - Joliet, Illinois, USA - AUG 5, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2007 Not too bad. Pours a clear amber with an off-white head. Aroma is sweet malt with a touch of caramel. Thin palate. Taste is decent. Lots of malt. Some sweetness in there, maybe the caramel. Slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jake65 (2959) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 25, 2007
Bottle: Clear amber pour with a medium white head. Nose is malty and sweet, just a hint of hops. Taste is mild with malts and citrus hops, just not very defined in either. Thin and a bit watery.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 12, 2007
Lightly roasted caramel and toffee malting top to bottom...with some light to light-moderate herbal hopping bite. Below average and uninspiring amber.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Papsoe (25072) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JUN 4, 2007
(Bottle 35,5 cl) Courtesy of Degarth. Clear, amber golden with a small, off-white head. Lightly sweet, caramelish nose. Medium body with dry and lightly burned caramel and some bittering hops in the finish. I can see how this is labelled as a märzen, it’s just SO different from a German example of the style. 280507

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ungstrup (30970) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - MAY 29, 2007
Bottled. A copper colored beer with a thin beige head. The aroma is sweet malty with primary notes of caramel, but also a light spicy touch. The flavor is sweet malty with notes of caramel and a spicy note of coriander.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
lipscomb216 (80) - USA - JAN 23, 2007
Nasty, crap, garbage, disgusting, I can think of many terms for this beer. I HATE Budweiser, and it tastes better than this. The appearance and aroma are the only things that give this beer any points, in my book. Metallic sweet cough syrupy taste, I will only drink this crap if I am high and have cotton mouth. Bleck!!!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Treephiend (58) - New York, New York, USA - JAN 5, 2007
uuugh... I don’t know where to start. Typical amber color (at least they got that right) off white head. Tastes of metal with a strong dish soap finish. I bout a 12 pack thinking it we be more than drinkable and ended up giving it away to friends that would come over. Some of them claimed to like it I guess. I thought this was worst beer I have ever tasted.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
DYCSoccer17 (3510) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 23, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2006 12 ounce bottle courtest of Grant. This is part of his Christmas gift to me. Metallic, fruity, buttery, diacetyl aroma. Some light floral hops are also detected in the nose as well. Kind of a weird aroma. Transparent dark golden body with a small, off-whitish head. If this is "amber", then the king of nomenclature must be blind and tongue-less. Horrifically sweet, underattenuated, cidery mess. Wow, this is vile. Grant, you’re a fucking asshole for giving me a bottle of this shit. The prior ratings of this give me no faith in the raters on this site or they tell me this was a bad batch.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 13, 2006
Crystal clear dark straw with poor head formation/retention. Light nutty and shortbread aroma, fairly prominent yeast. Little hop presence. Flavor is initially sharply sweet, with strong metallic notes. Some malt nuances throughout (no hop flavor), but all obscured by a sharp, taut, somewhat sickening sweetness that the finishing bitterness comes nowhere near heading off. Finish is sticky with a lingering molasses-like aftertaste. Overcarbonated. Way, way too sweet for my tastes.