overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4360   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 4, 2005
I really liked this beer, but I, at least, didnít enjoy it as much as an imperial stout. Itís not that it doesnít have as much depth or complexity; I just prefer the flavors in stouts. This one did, however, have one of the best aromas Iíve ever come across; very complex fruity, malty, alcoholic scents. Feel in mouth was thick, with fairly sharp carbination. Taste was fruity and balanced, with aftertaste of grape/wine and significant alcohol warming. I definitely enjoyed it and will probably buy it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Thaichile (599) - 10aFly, New Jersey, USA - DEC 2, 2005
Bottle. I really wanted to like this beer. I typically like beers that are not this dark. Apricot and plum on the nose. Thick, heavy and malty palate. I would not go out of my way, at that expense, to have this again. I totally appreciate the opportunity my Secret Santa gave me in sending me this highly rated beer. Thank you.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - DEC 2, 2005
My God, this beer almost forced me out of the room. A super charged version of the 8. This beer is packed with star anise, wintergreen, caramel, raisins, flums, black mission figs and a strong spicey currant base. The almost overwhelming alcohol level lets every element of this brew dance on the palate, in this case almost a fight. I like to enjoy this beer after about a year or so in the bottle.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
lovibond (115) - New York, USA - NOV 30, 2005
Full of malt, raisin, plum, caramel, and some banana, with less pepper than some of the other Trappist beers. A bit of licorice detracts. Still, one of my favorites. I like to buy it fresh, lay it down, and enjoy it several years later.

bourne (161) - Suwon, SOUTH KOREA - NOV 29, 2005
dark brown with a little red color. light brown head that is full and lasting. complex fruit and nut aroma. can definitly taste the black currant over the rasin and plum as those are more common beer flavors. very light and fluffy palate, swishes around in your mouth instead of being syrpy. no hint of the 11.3 % booze. excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Nejhleader (1222) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2005
wow. Itís hard to describe the excellence of this beer. You get what you pay for from this grandma. Raison aroma. The colour is a nice dark ruby. Canít even notice the high alcohol content. would love to have more of these, but my wallet disagrees.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigrond (1460) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 26, 2005
the alcohol content is great. The ber was good. much nicer flavor the #6 with a better finish but still the sediment is a lttle unnerving.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bailz316 (223) - Mendham, New Jersey, USA - NOV 25, 2005
Pours a cloudy brown with small tan head. Nice arom of plums and apple. Malty, syrupy, beer that hides the 11% ABV very well. Bitter, dry, roasty, smoky finish. Very complex. The upper echelon of beers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
tennisjoel (1161) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - NOV 25, 2005
Great aroma. Berries, citrus, lemon, vanilla, chocolate, just wonderful. Appearance: Tannish brown with large particalia floating throughout. Some brown spots noticed within the off white tan head. The aroma is just enticing me to taste. But, Iím also trying to let it warm to the recommended 54-58 degrees. This is good, so complex. Nice brown sugar flavor with many of the aromas noted above as well. The 11.3% ABV is well hidden. The only negative to this beer is the price which I paid (close to $9). I guess you pay for what you get, which in this case is a top of the line beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DewBrewer (295) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 25, 2005
33cL bottle from Belgium trip in 2000. Beautiful tan head and lacing. Malty aroma with fruit and leather. Alcohol aroma (but not as much as the 8). Vanilla & wood flavors with delicious malt flavor plus the alcohol. Perfect body to fit the full flavor. Excellent beer especially with the age. Yum.