overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 5064   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AgentSteve (1647) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - AUG 20, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2008 Very complex beer with earthy, dried fruit overtones. Those were dominent to me, but it is so complex that many other influences were present. Very viscous, very deep color with a nice tan head.

enenalan (21) - Linden, New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2007
After being less than impressed by the No. 8, I was expecting another good, but not necessarily amazing beer. Definitely not the case. Rochefort 10 is worlds apart from it lesser brother. Deep, dark brown with similar, foamy head and surprisingly carbonated on the pour. Aroma is thick with raisins and other dried fruits. Tastes overwhelmingly of fruit but well tempered with a bitter, almost porter like finish. The 11.3% ABV gives it a nice bite too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NickVega (154) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - AUG 19, 2007
After laying out the funds for the Rochefort, it’s inevitable for me to remember how perfect Westvleteren is. Rochefort is awesome - but slightly disappointing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
cdeaton (66) - Madison, Indiana, USA - AUG 17, 2007
After having the 8 knock me on my ass, I was expecting the 10 to throw me out of the living room. But having begun watching my boy James Blake struggle mid-match against some American unknown tonight in the Cincinnati tennis tournament, I needed the knocking on my ass. Didn’t get what I was expecting. The alcohol is so well-hidden, it’s borderline criminal. The head is gigantic and the beer pours like Vermont maple syrup with a long-lasting brown head. Fruity aroma and flavor, with some toffee, coffee -- very robust and complex. It’s a very unique beer. That said, it’s unique in a good way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pwn3d (1962) - Manhattan, New York, USA - AUG 15, 2007
UPDATED: APR 16, 2008 11.2 oz bottle. Dark brown, poured a massive dark brown head plenty of debris about. Taste is spicy and some citrus the aroma was of malt and raisen. 11.3% alc. is unnoticeable for double digits, but warming. Part of a blind tasting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goodgrief (1994) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - AUG 15, 2007
Original June 2005, Updated Jan. 2007 - Poured dark brown with reddish highlights, decent head and a bit of lacing. Rich aroma of dark figgies and other dark fruits. The flavor was really strong dark fruits, as well as candied sugar and spices. Really sweet and an almost prunelike flavor which made this much less enjoyable for me than the 8. A good beer, but not as great as others make it.

DeadGuyFrank (347) - http://westchesterbeer.com, USA - AUG 14, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2008 There are a lot of beers that have had enormous praise given to them. Some of these opinions are warranted, but there are few that can justify folks calling it, "the best beer in the world." Now, I don’t believe that any beer can be fall under that title, because beer depends on mood, company, and food, just to name some obvious factors. That being said…this is pretty close. Rochefort 10 provides a rich “clean” taste for such a full bodied Trappist ale; gorgeous dark brown, amber with a subtle, sneaky tasting malty flavor...it seems to just open up in your throat. Unbelievable head on this, very slowly diminishing to a perfect foam layer; plenty of raisin/plum aroma, very striking; one of the smoothest beers I ever tasted. In a nutshell, this is so far removed from beer as traditionally understood that it needs a different classification altogether. If I ever won the lottery, this would be the beer I toast with.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - AUG 13, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2011 Aroma of sweet ripe plums. Tastes much stronger than I expected....then I saw the 11.3% on the bottle. Heavy on the palate and very deep, but really one-sided. I’m only seeing ratings of 4+, perhaps I should buy another bottle and sit on it for a while. 111311 This bottle is nearly 4 years old, bottled on October 24, 2007, nearly as old as my first post. Seems appropriate to revisit. Refined brandy soaked plums, very deep and rich. Ticked up. Very dark molasses brown. Thick creamy tan head, it held up my bottle cap. I still find this to be boozy and messy. Hot with toasty sugar sweetness, sharp maple wood. This is the same brash experience I remember from before. I guess I will never get this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RolandTower (26) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2007
This beer is vary dark; passing light through the glass reveals that it is almost prune-purple in color. A creamy parchment-tan head forms and dissipates slowly. Small clumps of yeast circulate through the brew, carried by streams of carbonation. Smells of dark fruit and red wine. There’s a lot of flavor in here; a dark malt base underscores currant and plum flavors, with yeasty, spicy notes and a finish of bittering hop and warming alcohol. Definitely would like to try again sometime in the future; I feel like there’s further complexity in there that I couldn’t put my finger on.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jrhammonds (29) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - AUG 11, 2007
This beer pours a dark plum, brown with a fruity nose that will set you somewhere between candyland and Willy Wonka. Intense plums, figs, and raisins erupt onto the palate all the while accompanied by a stong carbonation. A pleasant bittering finish neutralizes and blances this complex "still-not-sure-what-hit-you" ale!