overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4415   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
EBates (5) - Maumee, Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2005 does not count
11.2 oz bottle. Poured a dark brown color. Tan head was smaller than other reviewers reported but small amount of "fuzz" did remain for the entire experience. Aromas of fig, raisin, port, and dried flowers. Great black licorice and malt flavors with a pleasant warm alcohol feel. Great cold weather beer. I had high expectations from this one and can now say its one of the best Iíve tasted to date. I look forward to the 6 and 8.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 5, 2005
33cl bottle. Murky brown red, large light tan head. Alcohol, raisins, spicy and fruity yeast esters in the aroma. Raisin, biscuit, plum and vinous characters in the flavor. Nutty, anise finish. Mouthfeel is medium heavy, somewhat hot.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - DEC 4, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2007 Dark, murky brown and a big tan head. Alcohol, molasses, anise, earthy aroma. Complex flavor profile of dark fruits, port wine, licorice and a surprisingly subtle alcohol presence. Light, fine carbonation balances a medium/full body. The finish dries out, leaving a lasting wonderfull bitterness. Re-rated 5/27/07. My first rating of this beer still is pretty much unchanged. However, I did not fully appreciate the richness of the mouthfeel. The fruity flavors and aromas are just immense in this beer. I let the bottle warm for nearly an hour before opening, as it had been in my beer fridge for a few days. The finish is only lightly bitter, with a pleasing, but not overpowering dryness.

rochefort4ever (1) - cazzone, MAURITIUS - DEC 4, 2005 does not count
This is my favorite beer. I donít know how that monks can create this fantastic beer!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - DEC 4, 2005
BE CAREFUL when you pour this one!!! A tight, foamy, PROFUSE, tan head will overcome you if you mishandle it. It is long-lasting too, so it may be a while before you can really get to your brew. I noticed plum in the aroma, as well as an earthy, cellar-like smell. The flavor was very complex...not sure I really "got" it but I thought it was a little nutty...go figure. Slight alcohol warming midpalate and finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 4, 2005
I really liked this beer, but I, at least, didnít enjoy it as much as an imperial stout. Itís not that it doesnít have as much depth or complexity; I just prefer the flavors in stouts. This one did, however, have one of the best aromas Iíve ever come across; very complex fruity, malty, alcoholic scents. Feel in mouth was thick, with fairly sharp carbination. Taste was fruity and balanced, with aftertaste of grape/wine and significant alcohol warming. I definitely enjoyed it and will probably buy it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Thaichile (599) - 10aFly, New Jersey, USA - DEC 2, 2005
Bottle. I really wanted to like this beer. I typically like beers that are not this dark. Apricot and plum on the nose. Thick, heavy and malty palate. I would not go out of my way, at that expense, to have this again. I totally appreciate the opportunity my Secret Santa gave me in sending me this highly rated beer. Thank you.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - DEC 2, 2005
My God, this beer almost forced me out of the room. A super charged version of the 8. This beer is packed with star anise, wintergreen, caramel, raisins, flums, black mission figs and a strong spicey currant base. The almost overwhelming alcohol level lets every element of this brew dance on the palate, in this case almost a fight. I like to enjoy this beer after about a year or so in the bottle.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
lovibond (115) - New York, USA - NOV 30, 2005
Full of malt, raisin, plum, caramel, and some banana, with less pepper than some of the other Trappist beers. A bit of licorice detracts. Still, one of my favorites. I like to buy it fresh, lay it down, and enjoy it several years later.

bourne (161) - Suwon, SOUTH KOREA - NOV 29, 2005
dark brown with a little red color. light brown head that is full and lasting. complex fruit and nut aroma. can definitly taste the black currant over the rasin and plum as those are more common beer flavors. very light and fluffy palate, swishes around in your mouth instead of being syrpy. no hint of the 11.3 % booze. excellent.