overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4666   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SRAorion (19) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUL 23, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2006 Sweet Raisin coffee and dark fruits Pours very dark brown almost black completely opaque with a light head and good lacing. Starts off very dark and smooth with raisins and black currant work into a smooth alchohol flavor and burn. Nice smooth finish of nuts and berries. A wonderfull mouth through out. This beer was great. Smooth delicious and delightfully warm very complex full of fruits nuts earthly flavors. quite the DD.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 23, 2006
Poured a very dark brown with a medium off-white head. Fruity aroma, I can smell raisins the most. Can taste the alcohol a little too much, but otherwise nice and sweet. Too complex for my feeble mind to comprehend.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
marvinpontiac (117) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - JUL 22, 2006
Phenomenal. Second only to the Westy 12 in my book. Somewhat fizzy carbonation and a tan head that quickly dissipates. Big warm sweet alcohol taste with currants and raisins on the tongue. Almost no hops but a big full bodied beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mike4aker (27) - USA - JUL 21, 2006
This is perhaps the best beer Iíve tried. Has a very high alcohol taste, but has a very smooth aftertaste. Well worth the price.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LeopoldStoch (201) - Green, Ohio, USA - JUL 20, 2006
For me, this is the quintessential trappist quadrupel. I enjoyed this one more than the Westy 12. I think it was somewhat because the rochefort had more of a kick and more easily pronounced flavors. The aroma and flavors are both of strong alcohol soaked dark fruits, raisins and plums. This beer is very complex and a real treat to drink. Now if I could only hold on to one long enough to see what some age does to those complexities...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
lincoln1965 (5) - Pueblo, Colorado, USA - JUL 18, 2006 does not count
Very creamy off white head. Nice aroma of plums. Nice full mouth feel. Very alcohlic taste at first then mellow at the bcak of the tongue. Plums and cherry extremely SMOOTH aftertaste. This is the best ale I have EVER had. This is to be enjoyed SLOWLY like a fine cognac.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beachbum25 (1085) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - JUL 18, 2006
11.2 oz bottle-This one left me wanting more-but I didnít have any! Poured a dark brown w/a slight hint of mahogany & an off white foamy head. Great aroma, very herbal/botanical/fruity. Itís just a flavor explosion-sweet, malty, plum, somewhat wine like but better. Very complex-many levels/waves. Just sit back & enjoy it. Long, long finish, very smooth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LadySusan (720) - Ste-Therese, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 18, 2006
What to say about this beer that has not been already said. The dark brown color the aroma of caramel and nuts. The flavor of berries. It is the beer that all good beer drinkers should have and that is all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2006
Second Abt style beer I have tried and I am in love. This was just wonderful. I wanted more. Dark brown pour with an off white head with lots of floating sediment. A wonderful sweet fruit flavor. Creamy, nutty flavor. Great Body. i wanted to make love to this beer. Very accessible in my area. A solid choice. Definite repeat buy.

NJDevilz69 (28) - Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, USA - JUL 16, 2006
Let me start by saying, I was taken out to dinner by the regional sales rep for Merchants Du Vin to sample me on some beers they had that I dont carry in my store. When we got to this one I was like...SOLD!! Sampled from a 11.2oz bottle. Pours a dark cloudy brown with a nice off white head.The nose has a very fruity/plum/raisiny scent to it. Also alotta malt in the aroma. The flavor is spectacular, the residual sugar taste masks the alcohol perfectly. In my short life and my experience (I have never been to belgium), this is the best beer I have ever had. #1 in my top ten. I would have to say my life goal now would have to be, to fly to belgium and try Westvleteren 12 then my life just might be complete. PERFECTION.