overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4692   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LeopoldStoch (201) - Green, Ohio, USA - JUL 20, 2006
For me, this is the quintessential trappist quadrupel. I enjoyed this one more than the Westy 12. I think it was somewhat because the rochefort had more of a kick and more easily pronounced flavors. The aroma and flavors are both of strong alcohol soaked dark fruits, raisins and plums. This beer is very complex and a real treat to drink. Now if I could only hold on to one long enough to see what some age does to those complexities...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
lincoln1965 (5) - Pueblo, Colorado, USA - JUL 18, 2006 does not count
Very creamy off white head. Nice aroma of plums. Nice full mouth feel. Very alcohlic taste at first then mellow at the bcak of the tongue. Plums and cherry extremely SMOOTH aftertaste. This is the best ale I have EVER had. This is to be enjoyed SLOWLY like a fine cognac.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beachbum25 (1085) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - JUL 18, 2006
11.2 oz bottle-This one left me wanting more-but I didnít have any! Poured a dark brown w/a slight hint of mahogany & an off white foamy head. Great aroma, very herbal/botanical/fruity. Itís just a flavor explosion-sweet, malty, plum, somewhat wine like but better. Very complex-many levels/waves. Just sit back & enjoy it. Long, long finish, very smooth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LadySusan (721) - Ste-Therese, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 18, 2006
What to say about this beer that has not been already said. The dark brown color the aroma of caramel and nuts. The flavor of berries. It is the beer that all good beer drinkers should have and that is all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2006
Second Abt style beer I have tried and I am in love. This was just wonderful. I wanted more. Dark brown pour with an off white head with lots of floating sediment. A wonderful sweet fruit flavor. Creamy, nutty flavor. Great Body. i wanted to make love to this beer. Very accessible in my area. A solid choice. Definite repeat buy.

NJDevilz69 (28) - Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, USA - JUL 16, 2006
Let me start by saying, I was taken out to dinner by the regional sales rep for Merchants Du Vin to sample me on some beers they had that I dont carry in my store. When we got to this one I was like...SOLD!! Sampled from a 11.2oz bottle. Pours a dark cloudy brown with a nice off white head.The nose has a very fruity/plum/raisiny scent to it. Also alotta malt in the aroma. The flavor is spectacular, the residual sugar taste masks the alcohol perfectly. In my short life and my experience (I have never been to belgium), this is the best beer I have ever had. #1 in my top ten. I would have to say my life goal now would have to be, to fly to belgium and try Westvleteren 12 then my life just might be complete. PERFECTION.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - JUL 16, 2006
From a 11.2 slender brown bottle with a coded bottled/freshness date stamped on the front label. Poured a cloudy reddish orange hued brown with a foamy off-white head that settled into a thin lacing, small amount of sticking. Aromas of plums and black currants, herbal spices and a vinousness alcohol. Good carbonation and a creamy smooth medium bodied mouthfeel. Delicious tasting, plum, ripe raisins and currants, caramelized sugar, herbal spiciness, the alcohol provides a nice warmth in the palate and is red wine-like, has a dangerously quaffable drinkability, a sipper you want to gulp down. An excellent example of a Quadrupel, tasty. balanced and very drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
steveneng (11) - Mississippi, USA - JUL 16, 2006
i love this stuff. i have only had it one time and i only had two of them. i got it when i was in new york and i hate that i cannot find it anywhere in mississippi

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TPaliga (212) - Munster, Indiana, USA - JUL 15, 2006
One of my all time favorites. Nice brown color with creamy offwhite head. Aroma is caramel and toffee with nuts. Spice like hops notes. Slightly doughy. Full bodied but not overly sticky. Excellent tasting brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUL 13, 2006
This was my first quad. and I was intrigued by the experience. The 10 poured a very dark color--a slight shade of purple when held up to light. It poured with a tan head, not too large. The smell was evident as soon as it was opened. The smell was definitely alcoholic and fruity--almost like a white wine. On to the taste. Iím having a hard time describing what I tasted. It starts out with some fruity notes, and has a great mouthfeel--very smooth. I expected a little more hoppiness, but the finish was smooth as well. The taste is complex. I could definitely taste the alcohol, but not in a way that overpowered the flavor.