overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4337   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Zeswaft (1361) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 11, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2007 This pours murky, muddy water brown with white head. Bubbles are pretty large. Aroma is very nutty. Flavor is not that great. It seems like itís made very well. no alcohol presence and subtle malty notes but not that different from any other of these beers that iíve had. They all taste the same to me. I hoped this one would let me see the light but it didnít itís pretty good but not great. Not my favorite style. Rerate again. I still donít get this beer. itís not good, let alone top 10. it tastes like alcohol and dirty water.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
puzzl (3249) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 8, 2005
My 100th rating (finally!). Man, what a monster of a beer. Pours a very deep brown with a good head and all sorts of shit at the bottom of the glass. Looks like yeast but one can never be too sure! Smell is very malty, with deep fruit undertones and a bit of alcohol. Some chocolatiness is present as well. Flavor hits you like a bulldozer with intense malt, rich spiciness. Definite sweetness about midway through but dissipates into an almost non-existant finish. No hoppage to be found (although hops are indeed an ingredient, if "hops" in german means "hops" in english). Palate is thick and and incredibly creamy in the finish. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nagash (207) - Paris, FRANCE - AUG 8, 2005
Chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, spices, strong taste and aroma. Absolutely excellent, even the strong alcohol % is not noticed in taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Tatterdash (10) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 7, 2005
Poured an impressive brown with a hint of plum and a lingering tan head. Smell was very impressive as well, floral with plum and prune esters, probably the best smelling beer I have smelled. Taste, this is worth noting, it started very stealthy, dark fruits, and some malts, but going down it is smooth, almost unbelivably so. The world slowed to a crawl around me and for what seemed like an eternity there was nothing be me and the beer. I heard a buzzing in my ears and noticed my friend what talking to me, I told him to give me a minute. It is a very complex beer with a velvety-smooth mouthfeel and I really must try it again to take it all in. Outstanding, if I could afford to drink this all day I probably would.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2005
11.2 oz bottle: Lasting mocha brown & cream colored head on a muddy brown body. Biscuity, bready, and yeasty w/ hints of alcohol. Caramel & toffee w/ a floral & dried raisiny fruit; Some toasted malt as well w/ a spicy & herbal hop aroma. Malty @ first but finishes bitter & herbal hop flavored. More well balanced as it warms w/ raisiny, alcohol, and toasted malt flavors. Lingering bitter aftertaste w/ some yeasty and bready malt notes.. Alcohol is very present. Smooth at first, but becomes dry and borderline astringent between the hops & alcohol. Higher level of carbonation and mediumb body. A bit hot in the mouth for total enjoyment, but still an impressive beer with some very nice subtleties.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Storm (2684) - Amager, DENMARK - AUG 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2008 This is my rating nummer 100, what to rate? Of course one of my favorites "Rochefort 10". 33 cl Bottle. Yeast in bottom. A beutiful rocky foam overtop of this amazing dark brown coloured beer. ( Remember not to put all the beer in the glass, the yeast in the bottom will kill the foam.) Very good complex aroma of tobacco, dried fruit, alcohol, sweetness malty tones and hints of hops. Very tasty mouthfull with notes of complexity, roastet malt, a good long aftertaste, that ends with a nice varm feeling. A very impressing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - AUG 3, 2005
Now thatís what a beer should look like. And taste like. Poured dark brown, and so opaque that I couldnít see any light through it at all. The head was very generous, and showed no signs of receding (in fact there were still traces remaining when I polished it off about 30 minutes later - bloody phone!!). A glorious roasted malt taste, with molasses and spicy fruits. The flavour is slightly bitter, but only so much as too say "drink more". Quite a creamy feel in the mouth, although all this conceals a deadly alcoholic kick. The end of this glass was seemingly more pleasant than the beginning, but Iím not sure whether itís due to the content tending to the ambient temperature (a warm winters night) or the alcohol coursing through my veins. A brilliant, but expensive drink.

Pimgref (86) - Gorinchem, NETHERLANDS - AUG 1, 2005
Strong stuff! Dark roasted taste with cherry. High on alcohol but you donít taste it. Donít drink too fast.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - AUG 1, 2005
Poured dark brown from a bottle at the International Brew Fest in Oregon. Very complex sweets in it. Dark fruits throughout the taste, butterscotch, slight floral notes in there somewhere. Not so much bitterness and the alchohol burn didnít hit me at all. A damn skilled brew and would recommend it to anyone in a second.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Stew41 (1722) - Woodend, AUSTRALIA - JUL 31, 2005
Once again I am left in little doubt as to why these beers and their ilk are regarded so highly all over the world. Slightly cloudy chocolate brown with a well retained creamy head. Powerful nose with heaps of malty, sweet chocolate lift. Very strong palate, more choclate, dark malts, with a slightly aggressive alcohol kick at the back. Just a bit to hot for my liking at the finish, buring a little. No matter, a very good beer with layered flavours. I think I may agree with the taster before me...the í8í may be a better drop. A side note....my wife has an extremely seasoned palate when it comes to wine (sheís a wine retailer by trade) but drinks buggar all beer. That said, one sip of this baby was enough for her to exclaim "Shit, great beer!".