overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4222   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - AUG 21, 2004
Pours brown with thin dense head. Low carbonation. Aroma is of sweet roasted malt, raspberries, and alcohol. Flavor is quite complex- carmel, toffee, brandy to name a few. Body is medium and fluffy. Mmmm hmmm.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - AUG 16, 2004
Did my best to keep this from foaming out the glass,Holy Carbonation !!This brew is deep dark mahogany with a rich creamy head.And of course I poured the floaties in, this beer is nice just to look at in the light.Has the aroma and flavor of some Middle Eastern fruit compote.Dates,raisins,figs and what have you.I know itís Belgian but my tongue is telling me some exotic Pot Pouri.Wow ,how do they stuff all that into a bottle????????BMC can kiss my butt.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - AUG 16, 2004
This brew was really amasing, and worth its weight in grain. Pours a dark dull brown with a tall foamy beige head that leaves a soapy lacing on the glass. The aroma was really hard to grasp for me, lots of roasty aromas, caramel, and some fruitiness going on. Taste had a bit of alcohol warmth, expected for 11.3 percent, but still remained very smooth and the malty layers of this beast were shown well by a nice complimenting carbonation.

jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - AUG 14, 2004
Delicious. Pours a dark brown/black with a light brown head. Aroma is godly; malty and various dark fruits. This is the first Quad that Iím rating and it seems to have many characteristics of some Imperial stouts Iíve tried. Taste is of dark fruits such as raisins, plums, with sublte hints of coffee and chocolate. Pretty sweet and malty. Mouthfeel is full and round. Light carbonation. Hides the 11.3% alcohol very well. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bluevegie (3042) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 7, 2004
Beige coloured head that was mainly lasting and left nice wisps of lacing. Tawny/reddy body, fruity malty alcohol aroma. Taste was everything the aroma promised and more, touch of cinnamon, chocolate, lovely mouthfeel and a nice sweetness without being offending.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
imblane (2) - Temecula, California, USA - AUG 5, 2004 does not count
This bottle had a best by date of 14Jan08. Poured a deep, hazy brown, in my trappist glass, with a small head, which quickly dissipated, leaving a thin, creamy layer, along with moderate carbonation. I left the last 1/2 inch in the bottle, as it contained the majority of the sediment. Smell was warm, doughy bread, with raisins, prunes, alcohol, and a hint of coriander. Marvelous. Medium palate, with a lively carbonation. Flavor was dark fruits, similar to the smell, with a warm, moderately strong, alcohol bite and a mild acidic finish. Great stuff!! I have not tried the the 6 or 8, but I am sure they pale in comparison to this, after reading those reviews. I can get more of this; however, at $6.99 for a 33cl bottle, I will limit my intake!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
walleye (1061) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - AUG 4, 2004
poured a dark brown with a med size tan head. aroma plums choc. covered raisins, caramel, dark fruits, alcohol. flavors wow cherries, caramels choc. toffee, dark fruitsand honey came out as it warmed. this was the end of a journey that started with #6 and #8 the 10 is by far far the best of the three, will have to go on the hunt to find this again the store I bought it at doesnít have it any more

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - AUG 3, 2004
Dark reddish brown with a small tan head. Enticing aroma of dark fruit (plums, raisins) and caramel malt. wonderful mouthfeel and very complex with dark fruits, mild spices, and caramel malt sweetness. outstanding.

jcc83 (137) - Athens, Georgia, USA - AUG 2, 2004
I really donít know what to say. Never have I tasted anything like this. In the glass it was a delicious dark brown with a generous creamy white head and lots of suspended yeasty solids. The aroma and flavor were indescribable, but Iíll do my best. The nose was a rich complex aroma of cinnamon, raisin, apple, and dark fruit, blended with a overriding sweet floral perfume. The ensuing flavor mirrored much of the aroma, with complex frutiness and a lightly-roasted maltiness openning into a fragrant rose-garden nectar sensation, then finally finishing in a twinge of sharp alcohol. The liquid was thick and full in my mouth, truly like nectar. I am totally amazed. Being a relatively new and inexperienced beer afficianado, I didnít realize that beer like this exists. It is quite an epiphany, shaking the foundation of my knowledge of beer. I feel now that this pushes all my other ratings out of proportion; they should all be lower to make room for this beer and some of its trappist cousins that I have yet to try. Monks, I salute you. And also, BIG thanks to mjgdawg, who finally found this beer and grabbed a bottle for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
givmebeer (8) - plano, Texas, USA - AUG 1, 2004 does not count
This was worth the wait , pours dark brown with big frothy head , aroma has fruity-chocolate smell, very smooth taste for such a high abv , I only got 1 bottle but it wonít be the last, my first official rating. I love this beer.