overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4634   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HungChad (13) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - DEC 28, 2005
This beer is as good as it gets. Heavy, yeasty, malty nose. Chocolate/amber in color with a big rocky head and great lacing. I don’t know what exactly to say about the flavor - simultaneously incredibly complex and beautifully balanced. Pepper, dough, cherry - it’s all in there. The finish is also long and wonderful. Unfortunately, it’s too damn strong to get in my car and go get another. Oh well, it will be worth the wait for the next one!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
UnsofistaCat (238) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - DEC 28, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2006 I find the palate on this to be almost perfect. Dark red in color. Creamy head that slowly recedes. I get whiffs of maybe plums…..I taste fig, dates, oak…little vanilla…little cherry? Except for some strong alcohol taste and the price…this thing is almost perfect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
CiroFerrara (85) - USA - DEC 28, 2005
This is a perfect beer. The only disadvantage it contains is that it does leave you with a sharp after taste of strong alcohol, don’t drink these beers usually. Best once a month.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Handle (10) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 27, 2005
The flavor was complicated but it definelty tasted of rasins. Excellent carbination and fine head. The nose was very floral and sweet. Probably one of the best beers I have ever had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jgentgesdo (679) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 25, 2005
Pours murky brown, like pond water, with stuff floating in the bottom. Very finely structured off-white to light tan head that laces very well. Nose is complicated: Candied citrus peel, chocolate, an almost musty morel mushroom note, and something that smells almost meaty to me. The flavor is the most complex of any beer I have ever had. Malt predominates at the beginning, along with candy sugar and dark fruit. The fruit takes over soon, dried plums, raisin, and later grape, like an old merlot. This is all mixed in with an underlying immistakable yeastiness to the beer. Hops character comes in later, as does the rather strong alcoholic presence, that manages to make itself known without being overbearing. Very heavy on the palate. Finish lasts forever. An absolute masterpiece.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CMUBEERMAN (421) - - DEC 23, 2005
This beer simply kicks ass. It’s a bit expensive, but at least you can find it. Smooth as hell going down!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
MoreHead (355) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 21, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2006 for my 100th beer, i went out and picked this up since it was the highest rated beer that was readily available. cost was $7.99. i told myself i would use my knowledge of the previous 99 and give an unbiassed opinion. One hit of the aroma and taste, i knew there would be no problem with paying my respect. aroma: chocolate, malt, fruit, alcohol. appearance: very dark brown, cloudy, particles seen on the bottom. flavor: wow, very complex. starts sweet, then the alcohol is felt, then kind of a hoppy bitter takes over a tthe end. loving it! this has raised the bar of my beer tasting and i would love to find something that can beat this one! nickname: rockstar!

blackburn99 (7) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 21, 2005 does not count
This is the greatest beer that ever entetained my taste buds. It looks like a stout, but is not bitter or heavy like one. I wish I could drink this one every day, but an 11.2 oz. bottle costs about $8. I HAVE NEVER HAD A BETTER BEER !!!!!!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
pinkzambia (1561) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 20, 2005
Bottle: Last time I had this before I was a rating fool, it seemed way better. But as usual, it pours a cloudy brown with a large light brown head. The aromas are those of ripe fruit and tangy notes as well. The tastes in this one were sweet medicine. I could also feel the higher alcohol % going down the esophagus. This doesn’t mean that it wasn’t smooth going down. It is as well as smooth onto the tastebuds. The carbonation is high. Like I said, it wasn’t as good as I remember.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - DEC 19, 2005
330ml - Happy birthday to me! - Aroma is pungent. Dark fruit, milk chocolate, Belgian yeast, black cherry, and a touch of licorice. Pours a deep muddy brown with a small thick lasting head and great lacing. Flavor is also strong. Alcohol is present and overpowers some of the subtleties in the nose. Some dark fruits and chocolate. Malty and yeasty. Palate is smooth and creamy. A very complex brew, but too much alcohol coveing up the flavors.