overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4755   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bgburdman9 (859) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - APR 9, 2006
Poured a dark cloudy brown with a very small head that rimmed the glass. At first it was too cold and the flavor was masked but as it warmed I realized this was one of the best beers in the world. The alcohol was very strong but it was a good strong. This was very malty and did not have much hop flavor at all. There was flavor of dark fruits and a wine like taste. I could drink this everyday if it wasnt so expensive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
19Ei8hty (1166) - Washington, USA - APR 9, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2007 Re-rate; 11/25/2007 - Heavy; about sums it up. Alcohol is too pronounced, too much, too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kiapepito (110) - Port Angeles, Washington, USA - APR 9, 2006
very dark brown color, with a very lasting white head. a coffee and fruity smell, and taste. very good overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
thebirdshow (27) - Burlington, North Carolina, USA - APR 8, 2006
Nice dark brown color with a thick lasting head. This beer glazed the entire glass. Smooth rich taste of malt and fruits. Excellent finish one of the best beers Iíve had. Classic trappist I loved this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - APR 7, 2006
What can be said about this beer that hasnít been said a thousand times before? Well, not much. This is a fantastic beer and if one can wrap their brain (and tongue) around the complexities of this beer then you are surely that much further on your way to a better place. The aroma was multitudes of dark fruit and chocolate and toffee and brown sugar. The appearance was beautiful to look at as it was incredibly dark (stout like?) with little light passing thru but what did was a deep purlple, almost eggplant like purple to it. The taste is almost liquer like, with a sweetness to match the dark fruity-spicyness that is velvety soft on the tongue. Another beer that Iím happy to be able to purchase at any time, pretty much anywhere around I live.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
lgklotet (432) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 7, 2006
Dark color with a long lasting head. Aromas of dried fruit and berries. Rich and full taste, alcohol quite present. Sweet, but not overly so. No hops whatsoever

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElPresidente1984 (173) - Maine, USA - APR 6, 2006
Got this treasure at BierKoning in Amersterdam during spring break. very dark brown, creamy lookin with a big olí head. aroma is complex, coffe, chocolate, raisins banana and spice. taste is similar. super nice and creamy body. alcohol is an afterthought

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 4, 2006
UPDATED: APR 5, 2006 Molten Godiva chocolate assuming the shapely form of a Trappist glass lounges languidly before me, beckoning ...and everyone who knows me knows I have no willpower to resist a seductress of this (or any) cleverness. I lean in hopefully, knowing full well that itís too early for a kiss... so instead I admire her effervescent spirit, bubbling over with promising enthusiasm. What is that heady perfume she wears? Something sweet, like ripening dates in the Morrocan night breezes. She sighs...and I read that as acquiesence. I seize the moment, bring her to my lips, and taste...What sweet fire! I taste dark fruits and chocolate from some far-flung conquered Spanish empire. I roll her around my tongue...and her potent liquor makes my blood warm...and rise...like a strange Nubian wine...and I have no power, nor reason, to resist...

Hey Joe... just what the hell is a "hefen"? I must have been drinking, yeah?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
almankin (10) - Crowley, Texas, USA - APR 3, 2006
The apperance was very dark with a big head. There was a deffinate coffee smell. There were too many flavors for my liking. I agree with another reviewer that the alchol is very well hidden as far as taste goes. I found the palate somewhat bland. Other than that an ok beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrBunn (2572) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 2, 2006
Aroma is wonderful. Dark fruit, maybe some banana/clove scents and with nutiness. Color is very dark, head is big at first, but diminishes quickly... Flavor is full and parallels aroma nicely. Banana, cloves, nuts, prune, and maybe some toffee. Excellent.