overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4334   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

SED43 (23) - Manhattan, New York, USA - NOV 5, 2004
Malted caramel butter, plums and raisins, with spicey notes on the nose. Dark reddish brown tan cloudy in colour under strong houshold lighting. Nice midsized tan head when poured in a trappist glass. That ends in a never diminshing thin tan head. Plums that reminded me of drinking a sweet succulent champaign. Lovely fruited bouquet. Very pleasant to the buds. Easy drinkable as it breathed in the trappist. I do believe that it even got better tasting. From start to fin.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - NOV 4, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2005 Tan colored head. Malt and cherries mixed with spices. I didnít see what beer was poured before tasting this. Once I saw the bottle I realized this IS a fantastic beer, even without itís reputation. My notes read "beautiful". Extremely smooth and balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - NOV 4, 2004
What to say about this beer. I feel its reputation far exceeds its quality. The best part about this beer is its aroma. To me, plum dominated but there is a pleathora of other flavours that touched my nose. I was a bit dissapointed with the rate the head dissapeared. I did like the nice amber/brown colour and the dense particles that floated about. Boy was I let down when I tasted it. Much less body than I expected, and the alcohol flavour really dominated. There was some complexity and a nice malty and vanilla-plum flavour. The finish was much shorter than I hoped. I know this gets good ratings, and by no means is it a bad beer, but I really donít think it lives up to its rating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GonZoBeeR (2906) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 3, 2004
Cette biere est une explosion de saveur.Tout les aromes et saveurs y passe caramel,reglise,epice,fruite,alcool ect... Un vrais bijoux ma preferer dans le style jusqua present.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - OCT 25, 2004
This is some good medicine! Malty, thick and rich. Tons of fruitiness (apple, plum, raisin, citrus) balanced with some burnt brown sugar and nutmeg. A hint of tobacco on the palate. The strong presence of alcohol is warming but not intimidating. Excellent, full finish that lasts a good 30 seconds!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 25, 2004
Lasting thick creamy tan head. Dark brown and yeasty body. Full aroma greets me, consisting of whiskey, kalua, oak, mixed fruit, sweet caramel. Taste has tobacco, mint, dark fruit, coffee, chocolate. Soft palate, not too carbonated and not too watery. Quite warming with the alcohol. After drinking the Westvleteren 12 and seeing some people prefer this over the Westy, I have to disagree. This is a great beer, but nothing compared to Westy 12.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cphbeerking (154) - KÝbenhavn K, DENMARK - OCT 23, 2004
Considering the rave reviews this beer is getting, I was expecting to be blown away. That didnít happen. Wonderfully fragrant, but in my opinion something of let down in terms of fulness and taste. Rather alcoholish it is, with a head that disappears surprisingly fast, like a soda pop. It sort of reminds me of the strong brews from Eggenberg and EKU 28, except I prefer those products to this one. To make sure I wasnít having a one-off faulty example, I drank two Rochefort 10, but my verdict stands: An overrated Trappist product with a reputation that far outstrips its actual qualities. If youíre looking a full-bodied Belgian to keep you warm, Iíd recommend a Gulden Draak over this one any day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Aldrighetti (163) - Coltura, ITALY - OCT 17, 2004
Tutored tasting with Italian beer expert Lorenzo "Kuaska" Dabove. Dark reddish brown, thick cream-brownish head. Beautiful complex aroma: candied fruits, chocolate, coffee, caramel, wine spirit, pear, dried prune. Taste gives an initial note of chestnut honey, then candied fruits, a touch of malt sweetness and a round roasted bitterness in finish. Very rich mouthfeel, restrained full body and alcohol-feel, great beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pintocb (643) - Darsville, Georgia, USA - OCT 16, 2004
Really great beer. Worth the money. Tastes like a mix of different fruits. Alcohol is noticible, but doesnít detract at all.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
chris081283 (7) - London, ENGLAND - OCT 16, 2004 does not count
looks really dark and has god head retention, very intense flavours. Canít tell it is as strong as it is, probably a little dangerous