overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4506   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HogTownHarry (6129) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2006 Bottle (330ml). Thanks to Peter from Esprit, the first of my very own case! Poured with very little head, but I was over-cautious after pouring an over-exuberant Achel Bruin/8 - slightly off-white foam, quick dissipating to a lovely skirl on the top. Very dark, slightly cloudy strong black tea colour, some bubbling and a little fine sediment at the end of the pour - I poured it all out (Iím not wasting this!!) and nothing visible in the bottom of my goblet. Aroma is ... complex. Malt (slightly sweet), chocolate, a bit of raisin, clove and spice, more I canít put my finger on. No alcohol in the bouquet to my nose (astonishing for an %11.3). A touch of yeast initially, quickly gone. Flavour is .. superb. A bit of yeast, but mostly cloves and mixed spices, aged malt, enough bitterness to balance, hint of decent white wine. Finishes perfectly - gradual easing off of all of the above. A beautiful Belgian - the only thing Iíve tasted better (once!!!!) was the Westvleteren ABT 12, and this is pretty close. I want another case!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jefcon (1419) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 23, 2005
Rich brown coloration in the glass -- no lacing to speak of and little head. Aromas are less pronounced than other Belgians, lots of fruit on the nose, though: raisin, nectarine, peach. Palate emphasizes the lasting, complex, and ascending feel of the beer. Toasty and sour notes follow a creamy introduction that belies some of the brewís alcohol. Long finish shows off the depth of the beer. A refined abt with the most interesting alcohol notes Iíve tasted.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JUN 20, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2005 Had this bad boy sitting around, and for fatherís day...Poured a cloudy and thick brown with a foamy head that was speckeled. Strong aroma that made the wife say, "hey, I smell that funk way over here. There was chocloate and other crazy fruits. Really nice carbination carried the strong taste over the tongue. Nuts and rasisins and lots of other things, this was a fantastic brew. Re-Rate. There is a fine port aspect to this, and it was great a 2nd time.

ALLOVATE (2466) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUN 19, 2005
A winter favourite of mine, I seemed to have amassed around twenty bottles over the last 3 years and found I only drink one every few months. But alas it is truly an experience I savour deeply with each time. (Bottle 12/10/08) Poured it into a short tulip straight from the cellar (?14 degrees) on a cold winterís night. Deep brown body, almost black, and opaque with a quickly settling loose pad of yeast. Head forms straight from the pour, sandy-beige and a good ĺ". Sticks around for the entire length and produces a good web of lace. Strong, almost pungent, vinous-chocolate aroma with a hefty waft of alcohol and yeast spices, dried fruit esters and a little earthy malt. The aroma continues expansion as I downed it and leans more towards a mixture of chocolate, nuts and warming alcohol. Big in the mouth, flavours eat right into every crevice and blend beautifully with assistance from the medium íspritzyí carbonation and silky smooth mouth feel. A little nutty and earthy, the pleasantly warming alcohol seems to compliment the chocolate, raisins, sultanas, low bitter hop and malt notes and toasted grains of this wonderful beer. Finishes off with a long, warming, dessert style chocolate and fruit swallow that surely shakes off the winter blues. This is easily one of my favourites and I just cannot fault it (second 5.0). Lovely!!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
weepingsuds (222) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - JUN 19, 2005
You canít argue with drinking this. This is a very good beer experience no matter your beer taste. I bought 4 of these in belgium for about $1.50 a bottle right in Rochefort. Not much of a town, but one hell of a beer. You could conjure up a million descriptions from the color to the nose to the palat. BUt this beer must be tried to really understand ****EXCELLENT****

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
Daneel (1) - AUSTRALIA - JUN 19, 2005 does not count
The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had. The best beer I have ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 18, 2005
Murky chocolate brown in color with a copiously foamy head. Audibly fizzing, with the head rippling like a wave pool at a theme park.; back and forth, right to left Aroma is nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and banana chocolate chip pancakes. Flavor unfolds rich milk chocolate and caramel. Subtle spicing with crackled pepper and clover. Chocolate covered raisons slowly dissolve and slip across the palate. A hint of alcohol, but itís merely an afterthought. Some nutty smoothness. Sweet, flowing, resonating, creamy. As expected, itís perfectly balanced. Finish reminds me of warming cocoa by a campfire.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hammenlind (737) - Sundbyberg, SWEDEN - JUN 18, 2005
Dark brown. Thick white head. Raisin nose with some yeast. Sweet, fruity flavour with hints of caramel, chocolate and fig.Chewy mouthfeel. Hints of orange. Sugary finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tobias (203) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - JUN 16, 2005
33cl bottle: the colour is chocolate brown with hints of red and amber. the aroma is of chocolate, bubble gum, plum/raisin, cocoa, buttery caramel and licorice. the falvor is of intense maltiness. carmel, chcolate and sweet dark fruit. bubule gum, candy/candy sugar, licorice, spice. kinda rootbeer like. quite good, but at 7.50 a bottle, i feel its a little over priced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 16, 2005
UPDATED: APR 1, 2006 This is one of those beers I never got around to rating. So the other night I had Trappist Night and took the time to write notes. I find Rochefort superior to Westvletern. It is wetter and thus more drinkable (to me) and itís flavors meld more smoothly together. The candy sugar and raisin asspects are not quite as intense in the Rochefort which makes it a very pleasant beer to drink The 10 is definitely the star, but all Rochefortís offering share similar qualities in flavor and palate.