Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4812   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
damienv10 (108) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2006
Dark brown/mocha in body with a light tan head and nice lacing. Nose is initially perfumy and rootbeer. As it warms up, itís pungent with dark stewed fruit (plum, currant, raisin, apricot), spices (clove, cadamom...), dank basement, and something perfumy I canít put my finger on. So far, the best smelling beer Iíve ever had. Sharp carbonation and heavy roundness on the palate. Dark malts are the first taste, mocha, stewed raisin pear & plum, and a bit of rootbeer. It finishes with chocolatey hoppy bitterness at the same time the 11.3% alcohol flushes my throat and face with warmth. Damn this is good.

BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - APR 30, 2006
Bottle. Poured a dark brown with a tall, frothy, tan head that mostly lasts and left light lacing. The aroma was dark fruits (raisins, cherries, and prunes), and sweet malts. As it warmed a slight alcohol aroma was also noted. The flavor found dark fruits, light spices, and a hint of alcohol. Medium to full body and a definite warming felling. Iím glad I have another to cellar for a while.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
alabamajohn (67) - Alabama, USA - APR 29, 2006
Perhaps Iím inexperienced in the great beers of the world. Maybe Iím too enthusiastic. The aroma is incredible! If you smell it right after it is poured and the thick head is still active, it unleashes an olfactory extravaganza. The complex dark fruit and rye bread flavors are fantastic. You do notice the alcohol a little, but it is 11.3 abv. So far this tops my list.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mkgrenwel (602) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - APR 29, 2006
This isnít a beer I would really crave and go out of my way to get. However, it is extremely well made and enjoyable. Complex as all hell. Flavors of cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, grapes, currants, candied pecans and more. Very sweet, but also tart and sour. Nicely vinious. Way more carbonation than I expect from a beer like this, but it is an extremely soft and forgiving carbonation. Not one of those beers that blows me away, but really hard to find a fault with this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - APR 28, 2006
UPDATED: APR 29, 2006 I didnít know how this would compare to Trappistes 8, but I like it better. It pours murky with lots of stuff (yeast, sediment) floating around! The tan-colored head is like a rootbeer float, and lasts about as long! I kept waiting for it to go down so I could actually taste the brew! The aroma is sweet, syrupy, with mostly yeast and ripe bananas. The taste is similar though a bit darker, raisiny, maybe a bit like a strong cough syrup alcohol-wise. The brew is fizzy throughout, and it finishes sweet, a bit like port wine with only a hint of bitterness and a warming alcohol bite. The mouthfeel is medium, nice and only slightly sticky. Itís good, one of my favorites, and I will definitely look for it again next time Iím buying beer! In fact, I wish I had another...but alas I only have a big bottle of St Bernardus Abt 12...poor me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rdawson321 (145) - USA - APR 28, 2006
For a $7 12-ounce bottle, I was unimpressed. Somewhat flat palate, subtle raisin and caramel flavors. Certainly of very high quality, but I was bored by it. Lots of large sediment in the bottle that never settled out. If were cheaper, Iíd most likely drink it regularly; but it doesnít live up to its price.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
undsioux7 (862) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - APR 27, 2006
chocolate, cough drop, medium sweetness, fizzy, lively, medium body, thin feel,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jetzler (622) - oklahoma city, Oklahoma, USA - APR 27, 2006
Bottle 46F Tulip Glass. Bread, rasins, licorice are prevelent but subtle. Small light brown head, that reduces quickly. Dark deep mahogany color. Wow a lot of flavor that slowly changes in your mouth and lingers for a long time. A dark banana flavor, rich dark fruit flavors are very prevelent I tasted rich dark cherry, blackberries, woody richness. Very similar to drinking the bottom of a 20 year old port. Rich and chewy palate. Overall a very, very good beer wish I had more than just one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dyetube (1345) - McKinney, Texas, USA - APR 26, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 8, 2007 This beer pours an amber black color with a large tan head. There is a bread like smell but the aroma is very faint. Wow! the flavors are very complex! lots of bread ,raisins and anise.very sweet beginning that last! At first you donít notice the alcohol, but then it hits you! This is one fine beer! Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - APR 25, 2006
Pours about a half inch of head: creamy, light-brown, excellent lacing. Dark brown color. Aroma is right on style: bread, moderate yeast, dough, raisin, cherry. Flavor was, again, right on style, but nothing tasted WOW. Like this is a cut above the rest. Palate was medium bodied, watery, and with a soft carbonation. Could definitely taste the alcohol. I prefer the St. Bernardus ABT 12 to the Rochefort.