overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4572   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
tswhitehead (6) - USA - MAY 3, 2005 does not count
Angelic choir upon high, touch lightly with airey wings, thy slender shoulders and thighs I will see... pure delectability in God and his saintly company. Yeah, I liked this brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hefevice (72) - Brisbane beer desert, AUSTRALIA - APR 30, 2005
Bottle, best before sometime in 2009 (hinting that I shouldn’t be drinking it just yet). I shouldn’t be rating this, as I am recovering from a cold, however I decided to go ahead anyway because I think the beer has aided in my recovery. Only disappointment in the appearence was the small head. What was there laced pretty well. Deep effervescent chocolate amber colour made up for the disappointing head. Aroma, um, well, big! Spices, toffee, raisins, flowers, alcohol... Taste - um, well, huge! And it needs to be to get in before the alcohol which is considerable and smacks you in the face at the finish. Despite the big, warm, dry, (kinda like Australia) alcoholic finish, the balance remains very good, which is a big achievement. I think this is assisted by the fine carbonation which leads to a lush yet subtle feel. Would love to taste the same batch in 2009 to see what has changed. Think I might head back to the beer shop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tmoney99 (11230) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 26, 2005
Bottle. Poured a dark brown with medium off-white head. Aroma and flavor was very complex with with a fruit flavor and a long finish. Full body with a small alcohol bite at the end.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mfbeer (6) - USA - APR 22, 2005 does not count
The high alcohol is well covered by a rush of all kinds of flavors. Not too sweet as is often the case with double and triple fermented (or in this case quadruple) belgians. Love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Schioth (41) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 19, 2005
25 cl. bottle. Great aroma full of fruit, herbs and hops. Beatiful blackish body with brownish head. Super flavor that no other beer matches. Fantastic mouthfeel that just slides right down and has a super long and tasty finish. This beer is perfection in a bottle and definitely one of my top 3 favorite beers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
andershn (90) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 14, 2005
Fresh aroma of prunes with some acidity. Very fine, stable, tough head (light tan colour) showing much carbonation in the beer which is hazy and brown. Very fresh, with a good balance of dry acidity and bitterness; liquorice. Very smooth. Excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brkc (11) - USA - APR 11, 2005
Ordered from Vintage Cellar. Wow! I don’t know much about rating beer but I know that it made my mouth happy. Full, rich, spicy, and very tasty. My favorite beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
auerbrau (3180) - Peace Dale, Rhode Island, USA - APR 10, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2006 I’m worried about this bottle. The others that were with it were questionable, spending potential months in a blazing florescent cooler. My fears are being assuaged by the growing pearly off-white head that is mounting up the glass. What a ridiculous color for a beer. A yeast-spotted wine color, with fringes of golden wheat color and deep pits of dark, syrupy port. The aroma is average, with a sweet malt dominating, backed up by very light warm rum. On the tongue, it starts off slow then crescendos into this symphony of warm flavors. The mellow malt and sugar start the run off, with a light orange and raisins. It grows and glows into a pitching yeasty fervor, with good fresh bread tones and a general fruit ensemble. The alcohol is not hidden, but does not detract from the beer in anyway; instead it adds another level of complexity and warmth. It awakens the nose and makes the palate pay attention. The flavors finish up with some cardamom and clove over that well spoken of black currant. I’m highly impressed with this beer’s general suave sophistication and the level to which the alcohol improves the flavor, adding a velvety smoothness to the whole profile. A little of that licorice Jagermesiter floats in on the palate, leaving a sweet, sugary film on the back of the tongue that beckons for more and more. Yet, this sweetness is strangely balanced out by light oaky dryness, so you don’t feel overwhelmed with sugar. The carbonation which maintains in this beer does a fantastic job of distributing the flavor throughout the mouth. As it warms, new tones and flavors arrive and depart from this train station of complexity. New dancing fruits, ripe plum, mellow apricot, and sweet pears. All backed with a light reserved savory complexion. Could a beer get any better than this? At least this bottle survived.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jonsiii (165) - Fredericia, DENMARK - APR 6, 2005
Aroma: Flowers. Looong lasting head. This is the best trappiste I have tried. It even beats Westv abt 12 (in my oppinion).

shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2005
My Favorite Trappiste, I have been able to track down, altough I really do enjoy the Westmalle Tripple, I still think this is my favorite