overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4222   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kook (2033) - Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA - JAN 30, 2003
UPDATED: APR 27, 2003 Poured with a thin beige-brown head, dark red-brown coloured liquid. Aroma smelt strongly of alcohol and caramel. Flavours of plum, chocolate, and some wheat(banana). Suprisingly strong alcohol taste, overpowered a lot of subtle flavours. I suspect the serving temperature was too cold. Very smooth full bodied ale. Re-rate 26/4: Served at a proper temp this time. Still a hint of alcohol present in aroma, but much more complex aroma present. Dark fruits come through, along with some spice. ABV was masked much more when the beer was at a proper temp. Lovely drop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
The Etruscan (490) - Tuscany, ITALY - JAN 26, 2003
Thin beige head. dark brown color. Aroma is sweet, caramelly, with alchool and banana notes. Flavor is very complex, sweet too with candy sugar, chocolate and raisins tones, ending in a pleasant ricolice finish. Full bodied.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
redlem (1296) - Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2003
I am always at a crossroads with these high alcohol beers about how much like wine they are. Can you justify spending $8 for a 12 oz. bottle of wine? Color in glass is like coffee that has been sitting in a pot all day. Nice head that returns when swirled to give a new sensation of aromas as it warms. You must let this beer sit in the glass and warm before drinking otherwise the alcohol taste will be overwhelming. Complex, but glad I got it on sale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JAN 24, 2003
Had this two seperate times, and it seemed better the first time, but I didn't think to rate it then. The nose is very sweet and rich with alcohol predominating until the brew is allowed to breathe. Secondary aromas consist of figs, dates, maple syrup, resin, and pepper. This brew pours a dark walnut with honey highlights or as my tasting buddy put it murky dogshit brown (he doesn't get out much). The light brown fizzy head diminishes rapidly with no lacing. The exceptionally well balanced and deep flavor has a high level of acidity. The finish is sweet warm and spicy. The light to medium fizzy dry body finishes dry. As my buddy put it "This stuff is like Honey Brown to the 100th power". I don't know about all that but this is definitely an interesting brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrDick (336) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 23, 2003
Poured out dark and mean, with a small stream of bubbles that kept the head to a perfect minimum. Malt and bubblegum smells called to hungry wolf. I licked my lips cuz I was ready to win. I brought the glass to my lips for the first angry taste. Chocolate, bubblegum, butterscotch amid a smooth ricochet of champagne bubbles. On the hunt tonight for love at first sting. Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
WISEGUY572 (1372) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2007 This is one great beer and a wonderful way to start my second hundred. Rich brown, cloudy, like chocolate soda with a splash of milk. Dark sweet malt taste and bitter hops, floral hops, thirst quenching acid, bitter chocolate and bitter espresso. Finishes with hoppy bitterness, sweetness, and sourness all at once. Probably a great deal of alcohol, but completely masked by the malt and other flavors. Mouth filling, tannin coating, with a bubbling freshness. What a great beer. I had been hoarding the couple I had been able to find, but today I was able to get a case at Beer Yard in Wayne. // Splitting hairs here, but I think I put this a bit too close to perfect when I first rated it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 20, 2003
UPDATED: APR 27, 2005 Rich brown color,transluminate. Mix of fruit flavor and alcohol, flavor of plums sticks out more than others. Complex brew. Can I have another!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - JAN 17, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2003 Almost as perfect as it gets. Like Kasteel, but a little more complex, less sweet, and more bitter at the end. There should be a price catagory in these ratings also because this was rediculously expensive (something like $7 for 330mL). I can get Kasteel for about $6.49 for a 750mL. Is it better than Kasteel? Maybe. Is it worth paying more than twice as much? No! Rerate: I must rerate this because I had Wesvleteren, and the Wesvleteren was much better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JMerritt (1744) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - JAN 16, 2003
Dark, dark red in color with a large khaki head. Lacing and retention is nice. Simply beautiful. Aroma is malty, sweet, musty, and toffee-ish. Flavor is mildly sweet, turns doughy and slightly alcoholic. Finish is long and malty. Super silky mouthfeel, like liquid satin. This was my first beer in the top 5 (was rated 3rd with a score of 4.44 when I rated it), and I was thoroughly impressed and satisfied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
diabel (1590) - Aarschot, BELGIUM - JAN 16, 2003
Beautiful dark colour. Pleasing aroma. Unfortunately I burned my tongue this morning, but I still enjoy the very complex flavour.