Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 5080   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
STEPHENDR (478) - California, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Dull gold murky appearance – nice head however, the head does not last long– nose is prunes, cinnamon, raisins, grassy, caramel very sharp – medium body – initial taste is sweet then turns acidic, and malt, dried prunes (barleywineish quality) - aftertaste is medium with a creamy, acidic and bitter chocolate

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AndrewM (126) - Waco (Buckle of the Bible Belt), Texas, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Bottle L30 11 10. Deep cola brown with a fluffy tan head. Bubbles range from tiny to large. Aroma is sweet candy plum, sour cherries, and a touch of alcohol. Quite appetizing. Palate is very smooth. Flavor is a touch sour when cold. Letting it sit and warm up highlights the sugars (and the alcohol twist). I’ve got another bottle I’m going to let age for a while. I’m going to let it warm up before drinking... this one has improved significantly as the temperature approached room.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - JUN 14, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2010 FINALLY A BELGIAN ALE THAT I REALLY LIKE! Chimay is ok, but this stuff has it beat hands down... Dark brown in color with nice lacing. Aroma was malty and slightly sour. Flavor was mostly sweet and a little tart with a hint of chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mette (224) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JUN 14, 2006
Nu ligner det noget Rene. Ville passe godt til skimmelosten af samme nave. (staves det også sådan?) Dejlig mørk brun i farven. Duften er ikke for meget rosin og svesker og alkohol. Men man kan formenne vi der oppe af. I smagen kom jeg til at tænke på julegløgg. Uhmmm.....god inden for denne øltype.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Theis (15152) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JUN 13, 2006
Brown small white head. Smell of malts, raisins and alchohol. Taste Malts, raisins, prunes, alcholol, hop. A lot of the same as Westvleteren 12, but more sharp, not so pleasant and round.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cbrixius (136) - Newberrytown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 12, 2006
Super. 12 oz bottle, poured cloudy chocolate, large frothy head. Fruits (plum, cherry) and malts on the nose. Very complex palate, sharp carbonation and an overall warm feeling when. A lot of love went into brewing this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mookieguy (17) - USA - JUN 10, 2006
Bottle. One of my favs. very smooth going down. dark brown in color. must try again to get a better review.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
yngwie (16536) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - JUN 8, 2006
Bottled. (BB 21/9 2010) Looks really, really good, dark brown, with some carbonation and floaties. The head is beige, huge, creamy and lasting, and theres some floaties on top of the head too! Sediments in the bottle. Nice lacings. Lots of sugar and dried fruits in the aroma. Really pleasant. Some notes of cellar and yeast too. The flavor has sweetness first, then dried fruits, cellar-notes, berries, some meat-stock notes, alcohol, bitterness, candi-sugar. Sweet, full body, with a long finish of sugar, some bitterness and alcohol. The alcohol really suits the beer. A truly wonderful classic. Pity it’s so expensive in Norway, 70 NOK!. (060527)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JJClark (551) - Roscoe, Illinois, USA - JUN 5, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2006 Bottle. This beer pours a very dark brown, murky color with fanatasic dark tan head. The aroma is sweet, malty, and full of fruit. The alcohol is barely noticeable. It is full bodied and exceptionally smooth. This is a complex, delightful, well crafted beer. By far one of my favorites. Outstanding!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cowboy7096 (64) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JUN 5, 2006
Pours a dark brown with a slight tint of red. Has a real nice fruity/floral smell. The head was medium and lasted for about a minute. Lots and lots of bubbles after pouring (tracers?). It also appeared to have yeast left in it for probably a 2nd fermentation? (oh god at least I hope it’s yeast). If I had to choose one word for this beer it would be ouch. The brew starts out relatively smooth with a nice bitter taste, but then starts to take on the characteristics of rubbing alcohol. I have to be honest I read some of the reviews before actually making my review, and I noticed how some where saying that the alcohol wasn’t noticeable. Let me make this clear, the alcohol was very noticeable. It tasted and felt like I had dropped a shot into the beer before drinking. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed it, but damn caught me way off guard. In my personal opinion I’m not sure if this beer really deserves as high of ratings, but what do I know? Maybe it was just a little too strong for me.. but then again I’m the one who picked it out. To sum it up: good but not my style.