overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4364   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sassy (217) - Mullet Capital of the World, Georgia, USA - JUL 21, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2004 Thanks to Shaggyme for this one shipped directly from Belgium along with Westy 12. Very dark with sediment and an excellent head and lacing. Alcohol hidden suprisingly well beneath the complex fruity flavors. I liked this one only slightly better than the Westy, but for the cost of shipping and taste, Trois Pistoles is highly comparable in my opinion.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 21, 2003
The size of the head on this beer is amazing. It takes up 90% of the glass easily. Very dark red in color with lots of sediment. Best aroma of any Belgian I've had. Smell of spring flowers, vanilla, toffee, peaches, berries, alcohol and more. The dominant taste is alcohol, with some sweetness initially. Still, the flavor is a big disappointment. Tastes more like barley wine than any other Belgian I've had. I'd take a St. Bernardus, an Orval or a Chimay Bleu over this any day. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but at $10.99 a pop, I don't think I'll be trying this again any time soon.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DukeofYork (44) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 20, 2003
Cloudy, semi-opaque, rich brown, with lacy, lasting, thick head. Toffee, plum, peaches in the nose. Taste - plum pudding, brandy notes, treacle, a touch (?) of smoke ... with alcohol leveling the rear finish. I found this less complex than Le Terrible, though. Lovely, but far beyond my skills ...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
EKGoldings (526) - Radford, Virginia, USA - JUL 19, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 2, 2007 Wow, what a beer. Amazzzzzing complex flavors in harmonious balance with bitterness. I don’t like high gravity ales much but I was astounded when I looked at the alcohol on the bottle. Amazing delicious beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUL 19, 2003
This beer is great. Aroma of raisin, chocolate and sweetness. Taste buds going crazy - too much to absorb. Wow. This beer is truly classic.

MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JUL 15, 2003
Read the other 294 ratings if you still have to know why it is in the 99.9 percentile, jackass.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 14, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2004 I purchased a single dusty bottle on sale and it looked like it had sat on the shelf for a long time. Turns out that was to my benefit. An intense Quad with a complex range of flavors including bananas, raisins, and plums. More rich and murky than other Belgian Strongs. This is a superb beer that lives up to expectations.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rastacouere (6122) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 12, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2005 update March 1st, 2004 Massive beer. Nocturn color with a surprising pale brown head, although it doesn’t last too long. Bouquet is a chocolate melody, the most cocoa from our 6 ABT lineup, dark chocolate with woody, earthy notes and a sharp pencil shavings aspect. Nice complexity for sure, a deep malty sweetness I described as "Vanilla straight from the wood", roasted chocolate cakes notes, controled alcohol (one of the least tasting from our lineup surprisingly), sweet earthy (autumn leaves?) nectar, everything is balanced with a fitting solid body bearing an above average carbonation. A Classic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - JUL 10, 2003
I love it!! Definitely one of my favorites (thus far) and one to revisit once aged. I think my sample was a bit alcoholic than most rated. More than a hint of bourbon, very dark/roasted malts. Sticky, overripe plums and some candied orange. I'm going to try an aged one and rerate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 9, 2003
A very intricate beer with lots of fruit involved, raisins with a definite floral aroma. This is truly a world class beer, amust try for the true trappist connosoir.