overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4341   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgb9348 (4635) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAY 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2003 Finally able to taste this beer! I hope to make this rating as informative as possible, but this is obviously one of the top beers people are willing to try. I bought and tried the Westy 12 because it was ranked so highly...and I recommend it to everyone I see, it is still the best beer i've ever had. So, with that said, here is the review for the Rochefort Trappistes 10. First things first, the temperature of the beer is 63 degrees Farenheit. Dark black colour with a slight tan head and zillions of small bubbles rising up on the side of the glass...very neat looking. The beer is almost completely opaque and even as you stretch it at the sides, no light shows through. Smells of ripe dark fruits, such as raisins and black currants dominate the aroma. Malt and chocolate also show through in the nose, but very minutely. A very complex smelling beer, which definately leaves your mouth ready to taste the beer. And the taste? Complex at first...but almost exactly the same as the smell. Hints of chocolate and malt undermine the taste, while ripe fruits dominate the flavour of the beer. Plums, Raisins and even cherries are in the taste. A very malty beer with that being a definate character of the overall taste and palate. The aftertaste leaves you wanting to taste it again, to see what other flavours and characters you can find in the beer, and this one always keeps you guessing. A very complex beer, both in the smell and in the taste, but done very well. Some hop character, but definately malt overwhelmed. The alcohol is somewhat noticable, but not in a bad way at all. A great texture in the mouth...very carbonated, yet coats the inside of the mouth and the tongue very well. I poured this very slowly down the sides of the goblet until a major amount of sediment came out, then I stopped the pour with probably only 5 to 10 millilitres of liquid left in the bottle. After a few sips, the sweet characters shine through in the aftertaste: chocolate (the major player), roasted flavours, ripe fruits all team up very well to make it a pleasant aftertaste. Due only to personal preference, I believe that the Westy 12 is more of a 'perfect' beer, but that could be only because I like hoppy, lighter, less-malty beers more, but this is still one of the best beers i've ever had. On a quick side note, the inital flavour I had in my mouth after tasting the first sip reminded me very much of the 'meatyness' of the Sam Adams Triple Bock (which I HATED), but those memories quickly faded with the good characters of this beer. If someone asked me what the best beer i've ever had was, I would still say: Westy 12, but this one ranks very close to that. I bought this bottle at Beers of the World in Rochester, New York and the price was $10 I believe. Definately worth a try, especially if you want to sample some of the best beers in the entire world!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Panzuriel (1282) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2003
Nice dark brown liquid with a light foam. Sweet roasty aroma with some malt hints. Nice alcohol evident in nose and taste. Warms. Good texture. Good subdued sweetness. A wonderous beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Suttree (5013) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 28, 2003
Pours a soupy brown, like a rancid Pepsi, with floaties. Head is dissapointly thin and disappears quickly. Peppers on the nose. At this point I was preppared to be let down, but wasn't. Overwhelmed by flavors. Black Pepper, alcohol, raisins, applesauce, cinnamon, caramel, even some rosemary, perhaps, and an incredible spicy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Davidw987 (23) - Livermore, California, USA - APR 26, 2003
I was very exited to find this in my local liquor store. While pleasant, I didn't find the beer as dramatic as the reputation. Yes, the raisin, plum and choclate flavors are there. The mouth feel is VERY smooth. And, considering teh strenght, the alcohol was relatively subdued. But I don't know if I would spend $8 on it again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - APR 20, 2003
Much like the Rochefort 8, this was a good beer, but a bit too much alcohol in the taste for me. I liked the 8 much better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
radiomgb (2182) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - APR 20, 2003
Dark burgundy in colour. Aroma is malty, sweet, of chocolate. The flavour is of chocolate, caramel, cherries, quite full. Finishes slightly sweet and bitter with a long aftertaste. Thanks to Adam for this birthday gift.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Eirikur (369) - hafnarfjordur, ICELAND - APR 17, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2004 This beer is a proof. There is a god watching over us, What more do I have to say.If you have the change to taste this beer, please do so, Amen. I drink alot of it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
haukur (1259) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - APR 13, 2003
UPDATED: APR 28, 2004 Wow! what a beer! I am very tempted to give this a perfect score. It poured a very dark color and a quite thick head. The smell of the beer was close to perfection, so many things going on in my nose when I smelled that, next was to have nice mouthful of this, and that was something to remember. I dont know quite to describe it. There was a party of taste in my mouth and everybody was invited!! a bit chocolate taste, hints of fruits and raisins, this is something to have again and again. You cant feel the alcahol,very well masked, but this something that should only be enjoyd as a night cap or a dessert. Thanks to Eirikur to introduce me to this fest of a beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - APR 11, 2003
Wow. Those Belgians don't mess around. Thank God for Ohio changing its beer laws.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
LoveABeer (141) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - APR 6, 2003
On a Sunny Sunday arvo at a Belgian Beer Cafe in Melbourne, I stumbled upon one of the holy grails of Beer, this one! But I was well let down by the hype of this beer. Its pours a lovely dark brown color and beautiful looking head, sweet smelling aroma, tastes of plum and raisin and the ABV is excellently masked in this brew. The flavors came through better once it warmed. The price for this drop was ridiculous. I would love to try it again, maybe while watching my AFL team the "Swans" kicking some other teams butt, while not being in such a critical mood.