overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4506   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Shag (2637) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAY 9, 2003
UPDATED: APR 30, 2004 I tried this against Westy 12 this evening. It wasnt as good as the almighty Westy but it sure did hold its own. Aroma is of a freshly cut tree, caramel, and raisins. Appearance is a dark brown with even better lacing on my glass than Westy. Flavor is amazing. DO NOT drink this cold. It was nothing special at all before it warmed, but baby when it warms, BAM! The flavor explodes on you. I swear its two different beers served cold and at the correct temp. Heavy on the chocolate note, apricots, caramel, spiced fruit, and raisins. It has a noticeable alcohol flavor but for a 11.3% ABV beer it is hidden quite well. Palate is rich and chocolatey with an almost smokey earthy feel to it. Its tied with Abbaye De Rocs Grand Cru as my 2nd favorite Belgian. It should have the same reputation that Westy 12 does because its certainly as good. Get this beer and enjoy a night of blistful sipping!

brewboy (152) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 5, 2003
I think the name Rochefort is pronounced "Rocket" because this is what this brew is. Pure indulgence by the master brewer in making a ABV brew more atuned with a red wine than beer. Heavy, dark and spicy. It hangs together well, with a less than smooth finish, but is not short on flavour nor on aroma. I'd been waiting a long time to sample this one, and was not disappointed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 4, 2003
Intense fruit and wood aromas. Dark brown, slim tan head. Superb fruit, plums, prunes apricots and nuts, fine bitterness. Complex, incredibly smooth and so well balanced. Magnificent! Thank You for sharing joey _capps!

Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - MAY 3, 2003
Creamy head, dark brown, a bit cloudy. Of course you could notice some alcohol but beyond that you find raisins and medium roasted sweet malt. I like its softness, which made interesting compound with its richness. Dig deeper and you will find some of the roasted malt, dark coffee and at the bottom some organic plums.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
judge (8) - New Cumberland, USA - MAY 2, 2003 does not count
Tasting the yeast separately highly recommended. Great palate with a sweet, moderate finish. Ranks well against westie 8

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgb9348 (4842) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAY 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2003 Finally able to taste this beer! I hope to make this rating as informative as possible, but this is obviously one of the top beers people are willing to try. I bought and tried the Westy 12 because it was ranked so highly...and I recommend it to everyone I see, it is still the best beer i've ever had. So, with that said, here is the review for the Rochefort Trappistes 10. First things first, the temperature of the beer is 63 degrees Farenheit. Dark black colour with a slight tan head and zillions of small bubbles rising up on the side of the glass...very neat looking. The beer is almost completely opaque and even as you stretch it at the sides, no light shows through. Smells of ripe dark fruits, such as raisins and black currants dominate the aroma. Malt and chocolate also show through in the nose, but very minutely. A very complex smelling beer, which definately leaves your mouth ready to taste the beer. And the taste? Complex at first...but almost exactly the same as the smell. Hints of chocolate and malt undermine the taste, while ripe fruits dominate the flavour of the beer. Plums, Raisins and even cherries are in the taste. A very malty beer with that being a definate character of the overall taste and palate. The aftertaste leaves you wanting to taste it again, to see what other flavours and characters you can find in the beer, and this one always keeps you guessing. A very complex beer, both in the smell and in the taste, but done very well. Some hop character, but definately malt overwhelmed. The alcohol is somewhat noticable, but not in a bad way at all. A great texture in the mouth...very carbonated, yet coats the inside of the mouth and the tongue very well. I poured this very slowly down the sides of the goblet until a major amount of sediment came out, then I stopped the pour with probably only 5 to 10 millilitres of liquid left in the bottle. After a few sips, the sweet characters shine through in the aftertaste: chocolate (the major player), roasted flavours, ripe fruits all team up very well to make it a pleasant aftertaste. Due only to personal preference, I believe that the Westy 12 is more of a 'perfect' beer, but that could be only because I like hoppy, lighter, less-malty beers more, but this is still one of the best beers i've ever had. On a quick side note, the inital flavour I had in my mouth after tasting the first sip reminded me very much of the 'meatyness' of the Sam Adams Triple Bock (which I HATED), but those memories quickly faded with the good characters of this beer. If someone asked me what the best beer i've ever had was, I would still say: Westy 12, but this one ranks very close to that. I bought this bottle at Beers of the World in Rochester, New York and the price was $10 I believe. Definately worth a try, especially if you want to sample some of the best beers in the entire world!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Panzuriel (1358) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2003
Nice dark brown liquid with a light foam. Sweet roasty aroma with some malt hints. Nice alcohol evident in nose and taste. Warms. Good texture. Good subdued sweetness. A wonderous beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Suttree (5255) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 28, 2003
Pours a soupy brown, like a rancid Pepsi, with floaties. Head is dissapointly thin and disappears quickly. Peppers on the nose. At this point I was preppared to be let down, but wasn't. Overwhelmed by flavors. Black Pepper, alcohol, raisins, applesauce, cinnamon, caramel, even some rosemary, perhaps, and an incredible spicy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Davidw987 (23) - Livermore, California, USA - APR 26, 2003
I was very exited to find this in my local liquor store. While pleasant, I didn't find the beer as dramatic as the reputation. Yes, the raisin, plum and choclate flavors are there. The mouth feel is VERY smooth. And, considering teh strenght, the alcohol was relatively subdued. But I don't know if I would spend $8 on it again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - APR 20, 2003
Much like the Rochefort 8, this was a good beer, but a bit too much alcohol in the taste for me. I liked the 8 much better.