overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4731   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

emotv (353) - Izmir, TURKEY - JUL 21, 2004
The best beer I ever tasted since this day.Very nice scent.Heaven mouthfeel.Candy taste.I will change my religion after i drink this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
5000 (6300) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - JUL 19, 2004
Bottle pours a dark brown, hints of burgundy, nice frothy tannish head, small yeastie bits, with fairly decent lacing. † Aroma is wonderful, sweet, somewhat vinous, earthy, with some dark pitted fruit thrown in. † Flavor comes across as quite earthy, notes of candy sugar and plums. † Medium body and mouthfeel. † Finishes just as it starts, earthy with candy sugar and maybe some hints of dark pitted fruit. † Not bad, but was thinking this one was going to be a bit more complex. † Still worth a try tho!   I still prefer St. Bernardus Abt 12.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drunkmonk (13) - hillborough, North Carolina, USA - JUL 16, 2004
33cl bottle, trappist goblet. Deep dark mahagony. beautiful 1/2 inch head to start, which dissapates somewhat. nice even lacing. so dark, carbonation only evident near head. creamy foam head. Nose is full of figs,raisons,dates,some alcohol, but not overwhelming. very creamy texture in mouth. carbination is moderate, yeast moderate with subtle sweetness..wow wonderful. alcohol a little more evident in the finish, warms like a fine liquor. hints of all the above still in finish, with some pear and slight metallic flavor. This beer is simply wonderful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2005 Rerate at the MdV Rochefort party. Just like the 8, this one just hit me so much harder this time around. Truly remarkable, this one just edges out the 8 for me. Bumping up from a 4.3

33 cL bottle, goblet. Cookie, molasses, caramel, chocolate malt (H); doughy yeast (L); light alcohol, banana, clove, raisin, plum, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla aromas. Large, creamy, off-white head is diminishing and sits on a dark brown-ruby body. Heavily sweet, moderately acidic, lightly bitter flavor becomes a moderately sweet, moderately acidic, moderately bitter finish. Medium-full body, creamy texture, average carbonation, lightly alcoholic. The bottom line is: the malts play a bigger role in this rochefort (i like) and the yeast profile is not as sour (also like).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 14, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2008 Dark brown color, sweet aroma with a light hint of alcohol in the taste and finish. full body, the best of the rochefort I think.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3488) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 12, 2004
Brown color, thin and creamy head. Warm, sweet and inviting aroma of liquorice and alcohol, maybe spices too. Great flavor of liquorice and spices with alcohol vapors. Thick, round body with a warm mouthfeel. Very deep and complex, thatís one of my favorite beers in the world.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
pineypower (2719) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - JUL 12, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2006 Monkís Philly.......Poured out a dark brown with a nice foamy head. It had a wonderful, complex aroma with hints of alcohol. The taste was nothing short of amazing. It had a fruity taste at first that settled into some maltiness. This beer is like nothing else, simply amazing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mickblueeyes (106) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 11, 2004
This beer is dark brown with a light head that leaves nice lacing. An amazing and complex nose of rich malt, and almost bourbon-like fruit. Caramel, butter, a touch of oak and stunning malt develop as it opens. The palate is creamy with malt, butter and caramel unlike any I have tasted. The finish is long and malty with hints of fruit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 10, 2004
BBD 04 03 08 A beer I look forward to with great anticipation every time. Almost goosebumps. As I drink this deep brown ale, I play Calexico "Stray" & "Bloodflow" over and over, each time bumping the volume up just a bit. As the beer warms, it seems like it gets a notch louder as well. In the fridge for 3 weeks, sat on the counter unopened for 35-40min, allowed to breathe in the glass for 5 min, and I spend another 5min cupping the glass in my hands and smelling it before I drink. Bloodflow. As I sip my mind becomes hazy, dreamlike. A moment 2 years ago in Porte Noire flashes through my head, but I canít catch the memory, I donít recognize it & I wonder "does it taste ike last time?" This gives way to another lost thought. I turn back to the beer. It warms me. It doesnít hide its secrets like Houdini, it just gathers me in its long, black cape of luscious smoke filled bricked rooms of malt, waves of dried plums in the street, you can feel this beer. Almost as good as the moonshine I drank for a length of time on 4 July w/ my friendsí fathers, mothers, sisters, brother Ted. I admit it. Iím partial to this beer. Drink it in a dark room or on a day it rains and rains. Or go in de wild man. Outta time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cstuartj (1018) - Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2004
Of the 3 Belgianís Iíve had (trappist, westy 12, and st. Bernadus) I think I liked this the best. Altough it was very close between all three and somehow all three are very different when tried side by side (something I highly recommend).