overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4692   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - MAR 2, 2004
This is one of the most complex brews I've ever had. The only thing I can really add to the other descriptions is that the finish reminded me somewhat of scotch, as I found it to be reminiscent of peaty malt. Drink this one at cellar temp. or warmer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Malt aroma with tones of plum, cherry, alcohol and yeast. Dark cloudy brown color with a huge head and tons of lacing. Starts malty and lightly sweet with tones of toffee-chocolate ,currant and cherries. The middle hits you with moderate carbonation and a lighter appley flavor. Finishes dry and lightly bitter. Absoltly amazing, the definition of a complex beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Malakin (469) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2004 Wonderful complex malty toffee licorice come to mind when experiencing this outstanding brew or should I say nectar of the gods...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 27, 2004
Thick and cloudy chocolate brown,huge well retained noisy beige head. Smell of toffee, malt, chocolate, yeast and sweet alcohol. very nice moutfeel with tons of flavouring including bitter chocolate, yeast, black pepper, pears, cookie-ish malt flavours. A great one!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
alexroth34 (8) - Oakland, California, USA - FEB 25, 2004 does not count
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2004 Oh sweet mother, what a beer! I tried this at a cafe just outside of Brugge at a beer festival in Dilksmuide, and the flavor (and perhaps the alcohol content) just knocked my socks off. Its been a little over a year since I tried it, but how could I forget the wonderful, earthy brown color in that goblet of a Trappist glass, or that wonderful, ineffable aroma. I don't know how widely available this is in the states, but if you can find it, do yourself a favor and do so.

mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - FEB 20, 2004
I love this beer but at $8 bucks a bottle am not able to drink it as much as I want. I definatly think this has one of the best colors (almost ruby), and best complex scents I have ever smelt. The taste is great with a real quick but none of the wine-vodka flavor of some other trappists. I defintly taste all of the fruits they mention. If anyone from the brewery reads this please drop your price. It is fantastic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
jde123 (766) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2006 Bottle slightly chilled. First off the bottle opened with authority, and was followed buy a wonderful cascade of aroma. Appearance: pours with a beautiful frothy/creamy head with finely spaced bubbles each one unique in its own right. Color of mahogany, with a pinch of red. Aroma: has been tempting me ever since I opend the bottle. moderate maltiness, wonderful use of hops, smells like fruity perfume, wonderful! Palate: slightly sweet initially, coats tongue with a creaminess, goes down with a soft carbonation that tickles the throat. Taste: hard to put my finger on, although it is fantastic. sweet and sour at the same time. slight alcohol flavor at the finish, but compliments well. wonderfully thematic. Overall, i am very likely to purchase again, great price for a world class beer. I just had one that I had been saving for three years, amazing, best best beer in the world. I don’t have words to descrive the ethereal experience of imbibing this ambrosial concoction. Great stuff!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JoeMcPhee (8837) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 18, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2005 Dark chocolate brown under a thick off-white head with good lacing. Smell is the best I’ve ever encountered. Nose of plum, raisin, banana, coffee, chocolate, caramel, and some alcohol that sneaks in plus a whole bunch of stuff that I can’t identify. Taste is a bit more subdued than the smell but is still wonderfully toasty, very rich and creamy in the mouth. Long finish with dark chocolate and coffee just before the alcohol hits you one more time. Wow!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brown (3) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 16, 2004 does not count
Beautiful dark muddy brown/red appearance with an intoxicating malty aroma; hints of molasses. Starts off sweet and subtle, finishing off with a alcholic punch.

Jine (896) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - FEB 15, 2004
Had this at Bethlehem Brewworks in Bethlehem, PA a while ago...ten dollars a bottle but it was worth it. Don't really know what to say about it, except it was godly. The best I have ever had in my life.