overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4407   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MartinT (7811) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 6, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2012 Velvety port wine allusions approach chocolate cake flavors…Sensuous licorice develops rich raisins which languorously move into inebriating alcohol warmth...A world-class sipper which rarely disappoints...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JUN 29, 2002
WOW! I usually get a little let down when I finally try the high ranking beers. This one delivered on all the hype. Aroma is so complex that you get something different every time you inhale. Pricey but worth it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrRomero (1975) - Nolanville, USA - JUN 27, 2002
Excellent. A somewhat nutty aroma. Nice dark brown color. I taste the 11.3% in this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nuffield (3671) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 24, 2002
Probably the most complex beer I’ve had to date. Great appearance! Lots of carbonation on the tongue (too much?). Striking aroma, notes of licorice and...oddly...a light red Italian sauce, perhaps suggestive of oregano and basil. That is muted in the tasting, where I get much more chocolate/toffee and a nice balanced level of sweetness. At the same time, slight bitterness, all in harmony with one another. And this is 11.3% alcohol? I can hardly sense it--except when I stand up.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
karsten (240) - odense, DENMARK - JUN 21, 2002
Fruity, sweet, full-bodied and complex aroma and taste. Hides the high level of alcohol very well. A fantastic Trappist.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RAUCHFEST (122) - PROSPECT PARK, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2002
yes truly one of the greats. it must be drank to appreciate one of my favorites when in belgium

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 19, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2003 I had to rerate this; my previous rating sucked. Deep brown, with a beige head that leaves a surprisingly small amount of lace. Dried fruit, caramel, oak. Alcohol is apparent enough to prevent me from drinking this wonderful stuff too quickly, and abundant enough to force me to go back and edit all my typos.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 17, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2003 Deep brown color, with a huge tan head of tiny bubbles, sweet and fruity aroma, sweet and malty, flavors of dark fruit and caremel, full thick robust mouthfeel and some what chewy, just about perfectly balanced. I will have another one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aubrey (3432) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 7, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2006 Soft & creamy light-tan head. Mysterious dark ruby. Mouthfeel and flavor gets your attention right from the start. First sip bit me like an alligator. A little excessive on the carbonation, which seems to create an unappealing bitterness. Sharp, biting, ’hot’ and burning sensation made me wonder if the beer I got was tainted in some way. Alcohol was definitely evident, maybe even some uninvited fusel alcohol too. Other than that, I noticed a rough-edged smokiness that poked through. While I do like many Belgians, and I didn’t think this one was too bad, I have to question it... I’ll have to get another bottle of this sometime and rerate. Or maybe I just built up my expectations too high. RERATE (2/03): Frothy (interesting, big- and little-bubbled) head. Murky dark brown with a reddish tinge. Malty nose. Smooth and thick on the tongue; occasionally watery almost. Some "hot" alcohol notes pop up here and there. Not overly complex in my opinion. Not a bad beer by far, but I don’t like it as much as many others.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pilsnerrogge (2497) - Finspång, SWEDEN - JUN 2, 2002
A trappist, what can I say? Bitter chocolate-flavour mixed with dark rhum. Great stuff!