overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4388   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
sfeermakers99 (5) - Haaksbergen, NETHERLANDS - APR 6, 2002 does not count
if this isn’t the best beer in the world then there isn’t a best beer in this world

MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - APR 6, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2004 After multiple trials of this pinacle species I have decide that it is perfect. I have, therefore increased my rating to perfect. Long live the Rochefort Trappist Monks! The best beer I have had to date. Reminds me of a perfected version of Trois Pistoles. Rich and complex, yet extremely clean tasting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fraternie (815) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 5, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2003 I was expecting a battle between this and Abt 12 but this fell way short, not to take away from it...strong chocolate malt flavor but I didn't get the fruit flavor cited by other raters here. Very strong alcohol in the aftertaste, which seperates this from Abt 12 in my opinion. On the plus side, the complexity and flavor is there in a big way. The balance, however, is not.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - APR 4, 2002
A cloudy deep brown. Delectable aroma of malt, dark fruit and spices. Extremley lush mouthfeel, palate full of raisons, spices and alcohol. Very complex in taste and feel. Has vinous notes as well. It seems people like to compare this to Westy 12. Ok, they both costed me $10 for 12oz bottle. I would gladly pay that and more for the Westy. This I would not. Its somewhat out of balance, the alcohol over steps its bounds I think...absorbing the melody of flavors it wants you to experience but sadly, its difficult. Its not over powering but this tastes like its 11.3% if you catch my drift. Still a top notch brew. Must drink at proper temperature 54-58F.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 4, 2002
Dark brown, thin head. Alcohol hits the nose big time. This one felt like a port to me. Alcohol, plums, very complex. The one I had was about 4 years old. Damn it’s good!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
neilrichards (191) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - APR 4, 2002
Very dark, with a thick, brown head. I enjoyed this Belgian greatly, due to its smooth palate, and its very rich and fruity taste. You could tell it was strong, but this was never the overwhelming feature of this beer. I’m definately going to drink more of this one int he future.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - APR 3, 2002
Gets whupped by Victory’s Golden Monkey, Westy 12 and even Ommegang in a head-to-head tasteoff! Overrated, IMHO. Yes, it’s complex, but I like other Belgians more and am not ashamed to say so.

Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - APR 2, 2002
It’s about time I had a beer of this notoriety. Enjoyed one with the bro this evening. Very dark and pretty in the goblet with a thin head. Definitely slaps you in the face upon first whiff. Alcohol stood out the most. The taste was very complex from beginning to end. Very acidic and even sour in the beginning. About halfway into the glass, sweet fruitiness jumped out...plums especially. This is like one of those complicated movies which needs to be seen twice to get the whole picture. To be continued...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - APR 2, 2002
My bro bought me a bottle of this stuff as a late Christmas gift, along with some Westy-12 that will be consumed soon. Looking forward to drinking the #2 beer, it poured with a slight lacy head that was a bit smaller than expected. The aroma was a bit too strong almost, a bit overpowering, with sweet floral and perfume notes. Dark and nice looking, good color. At first it seemed a bit too sour and we were almost wondering if we had a bad bottle. But as the glass was drained on a perfect evening outside, the taste got better and better. Stunningly complex, hints of chocolate, plum, grapes, maybe a little pear? Quite nice, it definitely won’t be my last!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 1, 2002
’ZAP, ZING, PFLOT, ZOWIE’ Batman, where this great beer been hiding, ’GUSLER’ you ’FRIGGING CHUMP’, yes ’CHIMAY’ is great, but this beer ’Whips It’s ARSE’. Deep, dark, and quite handsome is this beer!, head is beige, lace is decent, the nose is that of ’5 Star’ brandy, fruity, sweet. Start is heavenly sweet, the middle is relatively light, the finish is nicely hopped, strong alcohol, dry, high carbonation, acidic and ’Just one spectacular Brew’ My retirement check from ’Uncle Sam’s Army’ just hit the bank, ’A CASE OR TWO OF ROCHFORT’ is in my future, ’So says ’ MISS CLEO</>’.