Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4855   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
pineypower (2833) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - JUL 12, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2006 Monkís Philly.......Poured out a dark brown with a nice foamy head. It had a wonderful, complex aroma with hints of alcohol. The taste was nothing short of amazing. It had a fruity taste at first that settled into some maltiness. This beer is like nothing else, simply amazing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mickblueeyes (106) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 11, 2004
This beer is dark brown with a light head that leaves nice lacing. An amazing and complex nose of rich malt, and almost bourbon-like fruit. Caramel, butter, a touch of oak and stunning malt develop as it opens. The palate is creamy with malt, butter and caramel unlike any I have tasted. The finish is long and malty with hints of fruit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 10, 2004
BBD 04 03 08 A beer I look forward to with great anticipation every time. Almost goosebumps. As I drink this deep brown ale, I play Calexico "Stray" & "Bloodflow" over and over, each time bumping the volume up just a bit. As the beer warms, it seems like it gets a notch louder as well. In the fridge for 3 weeks, sat on the counter unopened for 35-40min, allowed to breathe in the glass for 5 min, and I spend another 5min cupping the glass in my hands and smelling it before I drink. Bloodflow. As I sip my mind becomes hazy, dreamlike. A moment 2 years ago in Porte Noire flashes through my head, but I canít catch the memory, I donít recognize it & I wonder "does it taste ike last time?" This gives way to another lost thought. I turn back to the beer. It warms me. It doesnít hide its secrets like Houdini, it just gathers me in its long, black cape of luscious smoke filled bricked rooms of malt, waves of dried plums in the street, you can feel this beer. Almost as good as the moonshine I drank for a length of time on 4 July w/ my friendsí fathers, mothers, sisters, brother Ted. I admit it. Iím partial to this beer. Drink it in a dark room or on a day it rains and rains. Or go in de wild man. Outta time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cstuartj (1020) - Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2004
Of the 3 Belgianís Iíve had (trappist, westy 12, and st. Bernadus) I think I liked this the best. Altough it was very close between all three and somehow all three are very different when tried side by side (something I highly recommend).

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dorwart (2465) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JUL 1, 2004
How better to celebrate a milestone (#400) than with a top quality brew like Rochefort Trappist 10. Thanks to AMX1970390 for this one. Wow, pungent aroma. Deep and luxurious with layers of flavors. Port, raisins, grapes and some toffee all present. Thin head of very fine bubbles that continuously regenerates. Great to watch. I actually expected a little bit more head from the pour but can deal with it. Color is a muddy, dark, mahagony/brown. Nice alcohol kick and burn. Rich flavor. Lots of raisins again with thick, sweet malts, a bit of fruit and a hint of cinnamon. Finish is warm and cozy with alcohol presence that makes the tongue tingle. A bit dry and sour. A one of a kind brew that deserves its place amongst the top.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
millerclmb (44) - Boulder, Missouri, USA - JUN 28, 2004
Aoma is a bit alcoholic..also smells of roasty malts. Pours an incredible dark cloudy brown. A beautiful appearance. Flavor is a nice a cinnamon like fruity cobbler. I have to say I expected more from this one. The complexities reveal themselves as you slowly sip it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JUN 25, 2004
Good smell and very pleasent taste, dark fruit and sugar. having this one just after st bernardus may have been a mistake. i really enjoyed st bís brew, not that this one was bad. i have 2 in my cellar which i look forward to after some time. overall i did enjoy this drink a good amount, just drank it after a great beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DomiNate (123) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 19, 2004
Thanks you BŁch Dich for bringing this back from Portland. I was waiting for a special occasion to drink this beer, but what could be better than a ratebeerianís birthday. Happy Birthday Sham! Back to the beer at hand! Very delicious smell came from the deep brown pour. Thick foamy head with a beautiful lacing. Smells of plum, correander, raisin, spices and they just go on and on. Very complex beer. Taste is very impressive. Tastes of spices and fruit. Little bitter, and a little sour. So smooth on the palate. Just a wonderful beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUN 17, 2004
I’m not going to waste your time by reemphasizing everyone else who’s rated this awesome brew. I’ve enjoyed this ever since my first taste while stationed in The Netherlands. Boy, those monks sure got this one right. Actually, they’ve got all their brews right on. I’ve got a few left in the fridge, intending to let them sit for a while. Sure, like that’s going to happen. Try one, or two.....you’ll be so glad you did.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Quetzalcoatl (153) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 17, 2004
33cl Bottle. Nice tan slightly dissipating head, and beautiful dark ruby color. The aroma is malty and sweet, smells delicious. The taste lives up to the smell, with lots of malty goodness, rich dark fruits and a warm pleasant alcohol presence. Hangs around on the tongue wonderfully leaving behind admiration and satisfaction; this beer is well deserving of its rating.