overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 3623   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
The lower gravity cousin to Rochefort 10. Nicknamed "Spéciale" (’The Special’), this beer is the most recent production. The Rochefort 8 has a more tawny colour and a more pronounced aroma, with an even richer fruitiness (a slight undertone of fig?) and a little more spiced dryness, like that of a cake, which gives a balanced finish to the final notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zootfinster (220) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2006
A very tasty beer. Slightly fruity and slightly malty. Full body. Cloudy brown dishwater appearance. This is the only negative I found in the beer. Nice big brown head

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
spector (906) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2006
Get some light fruits almost sour aroma.Pours a muddy brown with a Very light big tan head.Get some almost musty malt in the flavors.Very nice mouthfeel,thick with some warming alcohol in the finish.I actually think I like this one better than the 10.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wobbler (46) - IRELAND - DEC 5, 2006
I found this similiar to what reverse fellatio might be like. I felt my mouth getting that type of pleasure. It’s the nicest beer I’ve ever tasted.

voota (765) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - DEC 4, 2006
Pours cloudy brown with a massive rocky off-white head, wonderful lace and retention. Interesting aroma, very sweet, bubble gum, boiled candy, ripe pears and raisons. Medium body, very smooth... Flavours of bubble gum, nuts, toffee and some light spicy hops. Bitterness comes through a little stronger than the 12. The finish is warming, sweet and very enjoyable. Excellent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - DEC 3, 2006
Pours a cloudy brown with a three finger head, which quickly dissipates. Smells of musty/sweet malts. Tastes better, with a very smooth, creamy, malty feel. Also taste some sweet fruits and hops. Long ending, medium sweet and lightly astringent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cowboy7096 (64) - Arlington, Texas, USA - DEC 1, 2006
smells strong.. I wanna say grapes. tall head when a medium bown tint that lasts a long ass time. 3 phases to this drink: starts out smooth a dark (not bitter) then has a strong fruit like taste with lots of alcohol, and then finishes with a bland kinda planty taste. I know i’ve read before that some people say that you can’t taste the alcohol much but in mine it was very present, maybe I need to let it sit for a while longer. Real nice beer. Still not my type of beer, I need to try this style more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavidYoung (15) - Glasgow, SCOTLAND - DEC 1, 2006
[bottle from peckhams] dark mahogany with medium head. Aroma is of liqurice and peaches with a hint of orange. The liqurice is stronger on tha palate. Medium bodied with a bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ChazMania (665) - Oceanside, California, USA - NOV 29, 2006
Sweet aroma. Initial taste seemed of plum and sherry. Slightly fizzy on the tongue. It is easy to taste the alcohol. Finish is of brown sugar.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
taunusmies (350) - FINLAND - NOV 28, 2006
I love this beer. Taste is a very slightly sweet with some fruit aromas. Strong alcohol-% doesn’t matter. Quite long aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lagomswedish (213) - Umeå, SWEDEN - NOV 28, 2006
Stewed tea appearance with a quickly thinning tan head. Powerful aromas of earth, fruit and mazipan. As with all the Rocheforts, the mouthfeel was excellent, with tight carbonation and a pleasing level of residual bitterness. However I couldn’t esacpe from the fact I got a lot of soap flavour from this bottle. I swear if I’d burped bubbles would have come out of my mouth........ And the alcohol is a little raw, especially when it warms up. Not as well balanced as the 10 in my opinion, but still a classy beer that paired well with a very over-ripe brie.