overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 3130   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
The lower gravity cousin to Rochefort 10. Nicknamed "Spéciale" (’The Special’), this beer is the most recent production. The Rochefort 8 has a more tawny colour and a more pronounced aroma, with an even richer fruitiness (a slight undertone of fig?) and a little more spiced dryness, like that of a cake, which gives a balanced finish to the final notes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - JUL 26, 2004
7/26/04. Poured out of 330 mL bottle, bought at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA 7/25/04. Pours a murky dark red-brown with wonderfully fluffy, dense cream-colored head. Lacing is tight and sticks like a web. Superb. Aroma is lovely as well-- rich cake, figs, syrup, only lightly alcoholic. First taste reveals some of that subdued alcohol, a clovey and sort of cinnamon/nutmeg dry spiced quality, a touch of cocoa powder, and a bit of a foggy, smoky (tobacco?), cakey dark fruit flavor; but there’s also a somewhat cloying sweetness that creeps in around the back. Otherwise it’d be very subtle and very drinkable. I just wish I could nip that cloying edge. Full body with a nicely drying, chewy palate. A bit sticky at the same time. Long finish, and I love that hint of cooca, but I hate the oversweetness that threats to take over. Very nice to feel in the mouth, still. It’s a damn shame. But it’s still damn good. I think I even like it more than the 10 at this young stage, because it’s much more drinkable and still richly complex and delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUL 21, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2005 Aroma was sour like grapes or wine initially, but the smell changes to a sweet more pleasant smell when the head diminishes. Muddy brown with a white head. There is substantial yeast floating and at the bottom of the glass. Tastes like a juicy plum, definately some sort of spice too. Tastes better when warm, I can actually taste the cinamon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 18, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2004 Let me start by saying Abbey style beers are definately my favorite style...perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this is one of the first beers I was not able to finish...let me say I had a huge hamburger 2 hours before, so maybe I just wasn’t really ready for it...deep brown with an active head. Hoppy toffee aroma...very very complex taste...cinnamon definately, then plum...VERY sweet almost like a port. Very full bodied...I have a bottle of 10 that I have not tried yet...we shall see. I will order another of these though and try again later.

mohawksin (187) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 18, 2004
Thick head was trying to escape my bottle after opening. Poured brown. Had a ripe fruit smell, much like a red wine. Spicy tastes, cinnamon at first, then cloves, and then cinnamon again. I believe the tastes changed with each sip which makes it hard to analyze. On my next ’beer run’ I’ll get more and revisit this. No noticeable bitterness, but a little sourness that I enjoyed. Sweet also. I’m sure if I rate this again in the winter it will be higher. I look forward to rerating this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
lAlpedHuez (11) - Brookville Hollow, New Jersey, USA - JUL 15, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2012 The "overall" pretty much gives you my take, eh? I’m in love with the Rochefort Trappistes 10 -- the 8, too, is the real deal. Brewed onsite, BTW, by the the order’s monks (not outsourced to local megabewers like some "Trappists"). Not cheap, but well worth every penny. PS -- DO NOT CHILL (!). Serve at cellar temperature, or you are cheating yourself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
obisbeer (565) - Barcelona, SPAIN - JUL 15, 2004
Deep cloudy head w/fine thick head. Fruity/ Hoppy nose, some chocolate, toffee and sour notes. Dry choclate palate with coffee, hops creamy, pronounced alcohol. Very robust finish. I want to re-rate this in the near future..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Emil (6066) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 14, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2008 Bottle. Hazy red-brown color, Fruity aroma, wine tast, full body, alcohol finish. Something about this beer I don´t like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Quetzalcoatl (153) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 12, 2004
Another great beer from Rochefort. This beer has a spicy, malty aroma, thin lasting head, and a mahogany color. More carbonated than the 10. The taste is rich but not chewy, full and complex; like its big brother, the flavor really comes alive as it warms in the glass. Drink this slow to really enjoy the changes from cool to warm.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JUL 6, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2008 Nice spices complemented the plum and chocolate tastes. Alcohol is ever progressivly potent, starting with small hints and becoming quite potent by the last gulp, but overall they do a good job hiding it with all the spices. i prefer the 10 over 8, but did enjoy this one thoroughly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
millerclmb (44) - Boulder, Missouri, USA - JUN 28, 2004
A veyr fruity aroma...it reminds me of a warm Austrian deret tort that my aunt makes at Christmas time...spicy, sweet, choclaty...but no sugar. The color is an incredibly smooth deep amber. The taste s complex. I prefer it the 8 when compared to the 10. The taste seems to do for more for me because the palate is so full of spice and roasted goodness. I long for the taste when I’m not putting it in my mouth. If you want a really drinkable strong belgian this is it. I’m finding myself holding back from chugging the glass. WOW! This is a great beer.