Rock Bottom Pittsburgh Vanilla Carob Stout

Rock Bottom Pittsburgh Vanilla Carob Stout
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A paradoxically light bodied stout brewed with carob and Madagascar vanilla beans, this is proof that stout can indeed be a summertime beverage.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cheap (3941) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 30, 2013
At first I thought I would be dissapointed when I saw it was vanill, had so many poorly done vanilla beers. However, right from the start it was a good overall beer experience, pleasantly surprized. First, there was a beer on tap at the robinson giant eagle that I never had before. Secondly, from draft, it was pretty good smeeling, quite fresh with little charred or indication of stout. The taste was pretty yummy. Head was alabaster and the beer was dark. Quite mild an behaved. I thought vanilla would be over the top but this is civilized and easy to enjoy. Nice cutting co2. Good overall beer tasting experience. I was going to pass this by but I’m glad I nixed that idea. Finish does have some mild burned damp wood campfire bitterness, just enough to let you know its a stou. a friendly stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4785) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 5, 2012
Sampled on draft at the brewpub this beer poured a very dark brown - almost black color with a medium sized foamy tan head that faded quickly and left good lacing. The aroma was toasty and roasty vanilla, chocolate syrup and coffee. The flavor was dry cocoa, vanilla, toasty malts, coffee and a hint of wood. Very long dry, cocoa, vanilla and coffee finish. Moderately full bodied. Just a touch too dry for me but still excellently done.