Rodenbach Alexander

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 394   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Extra-fermented beer with a fruity bouquet and a sharp, sweet and sour flavor. Matured for two years in oak casks.

hagar (4) - Den Helder, NETHERLANDS - JAN 6, 2006 does not count
This one is really special to me because I bought the last ones at the brewary itself... in 1999 !!!! I still have 4 bottles left and the temperaturelimit for it is 35 degrees Celcius. otherwise there gone in one day. PERFECT. Hope to see that brewary is producing it again.

mkgrenwel (564) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 23, 2006
Shortly after my first taste of Rodenbach Grand Cru, I learned about the [former] existence of this beer, believing that I would never get the chance to taste it. I couldnít be happier to be wrong, thanks to Eyedrinkale. I did my best to supply him with reasonable compensation for this bottle, but Iím afraid I fell far short. Starting with appearance, this is dark red/brown and cloudy. A thick layer of yeast stuck at the bottom of the bottle, refusing to budge. The aroma is fantastically sweet and sour; cherries, oak and perhaps vinegar. The flavor is oak, cherries, strawberries and smooth vanilla. It is fantastically tart and sour. The woody/tannic/vinous quality is the best I have ever experienced. Usually, this has a bad connotation, but here it is entirely enjoyable. It is not sweet, but not entirely dry. Light carbonation gives way to a lush, velvety smooth texture. Perfection. Iím not sure when it will fully sink in that I will probably never get to experience this beer again. Hopefully, Iím proven wrong a second time.

mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 14, 2007
í92 vintage from De Heeren van Liedekercke. This has held up exceptionally well. I expected much more acetic flavor. After 15 years, itís still quite sweet. Wonderful interplay between sweet and sour. Very smooth, much more so than the í98. Something in the aroma that I canít quite place, similar to vanilla. Very good carbonation. Crystal clear. 7,50Ä! Cheap!!

dwyerpg (4436) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 20, 2007
A light, subtly cherry aroma. This is amazing. Just amazing. Sweet cherries, slightly coating, flavor is just top notch. Not too frutiy, just wonderful.

hagar70 (2) - Den Helder, NETHERLANDS - OCT 5, 2007 does not count
The best beer ever, if you can get hold of one. They stopped brewing it.\ Itís a shame.... I only drink one if the tempature is above 30 degrees Celcius in Den Helder (The Netherlands)... I still have three of them left.

DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 9, 2009
Bottle at de heren(or however you speel it) BBF 1995. Aroma is sweet very attractive tartness, fruity, the age is subtle and delicate, the sherry is infinitly awsome, its just like a beer you could nose for ever. The taste is like sweet and sour sex, its possibly the most drinkable thing to have ever massed my lips, the fruity sweetness with the age and the balanced sourness make it quite simply ione of the best things iv ever drank. A masterpiece.

ianhuntley73 (21) - - JAN 21, 2013
(Bottle 1986 first year) Have had this on a number of occasions. Each time it seems to get even better. Top 10 all time beer for me. Most recently served in a Rodenbach Alexander Glass.Pours a nice garnet color with an off white head. Nose is really, really nice with cherry, sherry, balsamic vinegar, and a bit of oaky earth. Taste is definite sour cherry, acetic acid, balsamic, oak, and some light fruitiness. Mouthfeel is quite creamy with good acidity. I am fortunate to have 24 cases of this beer in my cellar.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - SEP 9, 2001
Oh my god, this beer is unbelievable.. Tart and tangy, with the flavor of very sour cherries.. The uninitiated might think this is some kind of cherry wine.. As the label says, the ultimate dessert beer. Aroma is strong but only hints at the overpowering tartness of the taste. Please, Rodenbach.. donít take this beer away from us!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - JAN 13, 2006
#1000. Bottles provided by JCW and EDA. Disclaimer: I canít do this beer justice in a review, should have employed one of the great writers on the site. Dirty reddish/brown with a few bubbles here and there. Very oily, coats the glass. Initial aroma has a huge vinegar kick, but in a good way. As it warms, fades into a nice sour cherry, with woodsy tannic notes. Mouth puckering to say the least. Initial flavor sour cherries with lots of wood, light vinegar. Finishes sweet and sour, mouth puckering, leaves you salivating for more. One of the few beers I could drink anytime, anywhere, well if it was available anyway.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
LeopoldStoch (201) - Green, Ohio, USA - OCT 24, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 23, 2007 Thanks to goldtwins for a bottle of this. I live ina college town with no good beer bars, and as most of you would guess I do not enjoy "chugging swill" that they serve at the bars. So what was my solution? I smuggled a 1990 something (not sure of the vintage) bottle of this wonderful elixir into one of the crappiest little bars that only serve BMC. Man was this beer awesome! The aroma mostly a vinegar/balsmic vinegar with some cherries and a little oak...but it was kinda hard to tell since it was so smoking in the bar. The flavor is what really did me in with this beer. It was outstanding! Most flemish sours I have had are a little too puckering sour, but this one was just perfect with a little touch of sour, some oak, lots of cherries and even a little grape juice flavor...maybe reminiscent of a good wine? It was the perfect meld of sweet and sour without either one dominating the other. This stuff was great. My mouth was watering for another sip every time I finished taking a taste of it. I WANT CASES OF THIS STUFF!