overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2159   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
vyvvy (3951) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - MAY 10, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2008 Dark reddish brown pour with a light tan head. Aroma is very tart with some oak, vinegar, sour apples and essence of dark cherries. Medium bodied with light spritzy carbonation. Taste is very tart and oaky with sharp cherries and vinegar ~ the vinegar taste actually works for this though. The sourness starts to be almost like tannins. Later the beer starts have more oak to the taste and less fruit. This is quite a complex beer in the taste, but the taste does not change that much down the bottle. A wonderful beer, but best if shared with someone - a 750 ml of this was very overwhelming to the palate. (9/4/8/4/16 - 4.1) <P> <b> Rerate notes - </b> Glad I came back to see my notes and score on this. After having MANY of these my palate has changed drastically. After becoming adapt to the style this has become my favorite of the style and I find new excitement with each bottle. I must change from my previous review that this does in fact evolve as it warms bringing new depths with the oak and sourness. Also I no longer find a 750 overwhelming, now it is welcoming. As close to a perfect beer as I’ve found.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
macbar (30) - ITALY - MAY 10, 2006
Ruby body, off-white head, sour, fruity nose. Extremely tart start, astringent yet fruity middle, acetic and citric finish, lingering. Complex.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
drinkbeer (281) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - MAY 8, 2006
Tart, sour, lip-smacking. Not really my thing, but a beer that earns my respect.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
NewCastle1 (59) - Indiana, USA - MAY 6, 2006
The pour from the bottle was just about the only good thing about this beer. Nice golden brown color was very nice. But that is where th good ends for me. Way, way to much vineager aroma to this. Taste was just about the same. Vineager and a spoiled, sour apple taste to it. Not good at all. Actually made me sick to my stomach and could not drink anymore the rest of the night. Not a good experiance for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - MAY 6, 2006
Brown with a huge head. Horsy, sour aroma. Tart and funky, not too acidic and balanced with sweetness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
bp (787) - Queens, New York, USA - MAY 5, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2007 Bottle purchased at Le Bier Temple in Brugge: Redish brown, sour, tart and acidic. The sour apple taste mentioned in the post below is a pretty accurate description. I had the regular Rodenbach and found it quite bland. This is a definite upgrade from that beer. Not something I could drink regularly but definitely enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
EithCubes (4818) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 3, 2006
As I suspect is the case with many of us, this was my first Flemish Sour. Bottled. Opaque brown burgundy under a smooth tan head. Cherry and wine aroma with a healthy dose of vinegar. Taste immediately attacks the tongue. Sour! but enjoyably so. Smooth yet acidic with an extremely tart finish. Sour cherry, sour apple, etc. Complex, tangy, has a ballsy personality. Quite a memorable experience for my throat.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Rune (7963) - Tromsø, NORWAY - MAY 1, 2006
330ml bottle (bb.01.03.2006). Deep brown red-tinged in colour. Off-white head, mostly disappearing. Medium aroma of sour dark fruit. Intense sourish flavour combined with a yeasty ending. I used nearly two hours to finish the bottle. This is not really my kind of beer, yet - will give it another try in a few years time (30.04.2006).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2006
If you like the taste of sour fruit and vinegar this beer is for you. I thought it was something else when i got the big bottle from a resturant( i could’nt send it back) Waaay too sour for me!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
oldrtybastrd (3223) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 24, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2009 Pours a reddish brown color. Aromas of dark fruit, yeast, and a touch of wood. Flavor is sour cherries, yeast, wood, and a couple of sweet tarts.