Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2437   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burkekamp (4) - USA - SEP 5, 2007 does not count
750 bottle. One of my favorites. Deep red-orange pour, very sparkley. Aroma of tangerine and yesterdayís dishwater, very acidic... like a fine Roquefort, enough to turn away the weak. Flavor of tart cherries and cranberries, very tart and very strong. Oak comes through in the finish. Absolutely refreshing and delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - SEP 4, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2007 Bottle. Pours a deep red with nearly zero head. Aroma is of cherry and vinegar. Flavor comes in with a balsamic like intensity. Highly acidic. Finish is complex, with some sweetness mixed in with the sour. Very interesting stuff and Iíll have to sample more, as well as more of the style. I really like this stuff and hope to try more of the style to see how it stands up. <P> Iíve had two more bottles now. I really like it. Still not sure where it stands style-wise but I keep buying it even though itís pricy as hell in my area. Bumped up my score.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beershine (5218) - The Sunshine State, Florida, USA - SEP 4, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2007 Unfortunately the Rodenbach Grand Cru has changed over the years, becoming less assertive to please the masses. Still, it remains one of my favorites because I am a fan of Flemish sour ales. The sour cherry flavors are scrumptous. In the old days this beer would smell like dirty laundry if dirty laundry could smell could. The Rodenbach Grand Cru used to send shivers down my spine. Now it still entertains me and satisfies my craving for sour but itís just not quite what it used to be.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dankman (254) - Somewhere in, Ohio, USA - SEP 2, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2007 I was kind of surprised to find that I didnít like this beer more than I did. It had a sour tarty nose, a pleasant brown appearance and, drank nicely; the flavor had something to be desired though, it sems a little too bitter on the finish. Maybe Iíll like it more next time. Next time: On tap and I had to give it a higher rating because of the ability to session this beer until the end of time. I drank this all night at my regular pace and didnít get too wasted, it helps that I enjoyed the flavor too.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
mtoast (336) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 1, 2007
33cl bottle, BB 4/35/08. Crystal clear pour with the shortest lived foam ever, big frothy bubbles at first and then nothing, not even a ring around the glass. Aroma is just an explosion of oak and ripened fruit, I could just smell it for hours. Everything else about it just falls short, Itís got all the tools to be just knock down drag out fantastic, just in very small amounts. I give Rodenbach in general mad props for blowing my mind in general for what beer can taste like when you start fooling around with oak aging and strange yeasts, but I think that so many smaller breweries have embraced the wild while Rodenbach continues to almost run away from it screaming. That my friends is a damn shame.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kp (10884) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 11/09/1997
Mode: Draft
Source: map room, Chicago

dark amber, whispy head, sweet-n-sour malt aroma, dark amber, puckering sour malt flavor, semi sweet, very complex
-------- /> Date: 04/06/2006
Words: aged

clear dark brown, big tart cherry aroma, lots of tart flavor, very dry,

Aroma: 5/10; Appearance: 8/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 16/20
Rating: 3.5/5.0
Score: **4
-------- /> The score was calculated based upon the notes and an old scoring system.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
andrewboss (137) - New York, USA - AUG 29, 2007
Bottle... itís a very complex beer that I just didnít really get on first tasting. Itís not that I didnít enjoy it - it just didnít wow me. Iíll give it another go eventually.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - AUG 29, 2007
Dark chestnut color with a medium off white head. White grapes, oak, vinegar and brown sugar all come through in the aroma. Wonderful balance of sweet and sour flavors. Grapes, pear, dry oakiness and sour cherries following up in the finish accompanied by some mineral notes. Excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
johnadam2002 (529) - Hainesport, New Jersey, USA - AUG 29, 2007
Poured dark brown with white head. Nice lacing. Aroma of sour fruit. Strong sour flavor with a rather crisp finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SamuraiArtist (292) - portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 29, 2007
Bottle thanks to angeloregon: Pours deep red with very minimal head. Aroma of malt and wine and vinegar, some sharp grape/apple aroma. Flavor is malty but light on the palate, slight alcohol warmth and quite sour and strong. Fruity and acidic. As it warms it starts to taste very red wine vinegary which is definite big downside to me. Dont know if it is always like that or if it starting to go bad. Perhaps oxidized.