overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2162   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rlgk (10311) - Göteborg/Jönköping, SWEDEN - AUG 12, 2005
Amber, great offwhite head. Aroma from juniperberries, a bit tart and sourish, fruity from grapes and vinous. Flavor from grapes and juniperberry, fruity and with sour notes. Vinous feeling that gets more obvious in the finish. I like these kinds of beers more and more

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OlivierMTL (711) - Quebec, CANADA - AUG 3, 2005
Couleur cuivrée aux reflets rouillés surmontée d’une énorme mousse beige pale, diminuante et laissant une fine couche sur le dessus du liquide après quelques minutes. Arômes tranchante de bois humide, de cerises aigres et de caroube, semblant ainsi tartrique tout en ayant préservée une part de sucre. Vineuse et fruitée en bouche, passablement tartrique, les caractéristiques de vieux barils de bois sont plutôt envoûtantes et rappellent le chêne avec conviction. Corps d’épaisseur semi mince, finale très sèche, asséchant la bouche, et quelque peu métallique. Aucune trace d’alcool n’est perceptible. Bouteille, Bièrepholie, Mai 2005.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Stew41 (1736) - Woodend, AUSTRALIA - AUG 1, 2005
I’ve had a couple of these now and am ashamed to report that I just don’t "get" the style. Nice colour on pouring; deep red to brown, but didn’t the head others report on. True to type nose, tart, fruity cherry notes, a dash of rhubarb? Again very tart on the palate, a bit of fizz and what seems like a ton of acid. Good fruit depth but I struggle to appreciate. I wonder what an aged example would taste like?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JUL 22, 2005
Thanks to Steve (beerhugger) for hookin’ a brotha up with this tart little treat! Pours a dark red body, toppe with a thin veil of head...but the head lasted for 4 hours!!!!!!!ser I opened this first at a tasting session, realized it was a Flemish sour, and put it back in the fridge. Blasted me right away with a sour, vinous, vinegar like nose that made my mouth water, my glands under my jaw quiver, and my stomach turn....I think I’m gonna like this!! After letting the beer warm, much more complex notes emerge, including a great fruity presense. The flavors are so much flatter than the aroma. Initially sour, but not overpowering, like say, cantillion’s gueuze. It’s a touch grapey with a ton of acid. Attacks the sides of the tounge, and not much else. Major let down after such a huge aroma. Couldn’t drink much more than a few onces due to all the acid tearing my stomach up.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PandoraGreen (27) - Windsor, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 22, 2005
Dark red amber colour with little head retention. Nice lacing. Scour scent. Sour apples taste. Puckery. So very good!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bb (6851) - Alamo, California, USA - JUL 20, 2005
Bottle. Brown beer with a thin beige head. Sweet malt aroma under lots of sour/tartness. Complex flavor - sweet (sugar/brown sugar), some oak, fruity (cherry, raisin, lemon), and very sour. But there’s enough sweetness to make this very refreshing. Dry finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
gilvanblight (772) - Windsor, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 20, 2005
Near purple in colour with a thin head. Scent is oddly reminiscent of wine. Very unique taste. Not ’beer’ like at all. Extremely bitter but not in an unpleasant way. I had/have difficulty rating this as it is different from anything I have had before. I really enjoyed this but can’t see having more then a couple.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 19, 2005
Nice dark ruby red colour which shines beneath a great pink frothy, lengthy head. The aroma is to die for with hints of cherry, tartness and a sweet malt that begs to be tasted. The body is smooth (if at room temp) with a delicious cherry tartness that stays long and beautiful on the tongue. Refreshing and one of my faves, almost a session ale, could drink a ton of these.

JFURYCAT (1079) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 17, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2008 I had this at Belguim Comes to Cooperstown 2005. The sourness was there but it was balanced out by the cherry and oakish flavors. Perfect balance with just the right amount of carbonation. Rerate 5-3-08: I pretty much stand by what I sipped 3 years ago. The vinegar sourness still stands out but I don’t see as much balance as I saw with the cherry flavors except in the finish. The wood is still here. I preferred the tap version but am sad to see the distributor to the US dropped this beer. The bottled version seems less flavorful. Bottle from Lindo of NEPA split club.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kepano (246) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUL 15, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2005 Poured a pleasant brown with red highlights and a large fizzy off-white head. The aroma was of grapes, apples and berries, a nice fruity bouquet. The flavor and mouthfeel were not unlike Champagne, a bit sour but sweet and fruity with a nice level of carbonation. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, it was very different from any of my previous experiences with beer.