overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2144   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Damion (11) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 16, 2005
Smells like vinegar and apple cider. But I like it. Sour taste like vinegar, tastes even better with hard salami in the mouth!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
hawkshadow (107) - Rural Retreat, Virginia, USA - MAY 11, 2005
Aroma is of apple cider, barnyard yeast. Pours hazy dull reddish-brown, virtually no head, continuous carbonation from the bottom. A far cry from the photo to the left on this page. Initial flavor hits with a sour blast then settles back to a bittersweet lasting flavor. Warms slightly on the finish. I think this just rides the sour thing too much. Not as balanced as their other offering that I tried.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Pours a deep cherry with a 1/4 inch tan head. Smells of sour cherry, vanilla, oak, hints of port. Taste is quite sour and cherry tart. The fruity tartness overpowers most of the other flavors. Lots of cherry flavors in here. Hints of oak and vanilla way back there. My only complaint is that with the sour aftertaste there is also a strong coppery aftertaste which I donít find appeaing. Donít know if that is indicative of the style or this bottle is past its prime. Full bodied and flavorful beer. This was the flavor explosion I was expecting from the Rodenbach Red. Not nearly as balanced but still amazing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - MAY 10, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2006 Pours a murky copper/ruby red great almond colored head. Aroma is oak and cherries. First sip is a bubbly sweet and tart bite with the oak flavor and dark cherries coming out. Oak is not overpowering, it goes with the tart fruitiness very well, this is just like champagne. Overal itís a sour, tart, fruity, slight oaky tasting beer?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - MAY 7, 2005
First thing that goes through my head as soon as I un-cap this one is Red wine cooler....Then I read the label and find out that Itís actually aged in Oak varts for two years... Deep red in colour with a Fizzy white head. Aroma is mostly fruity (field berry comes to mind) with a hind of balsamic vinegar. Mouthfeel is very dry - much like red wine. Field berry favours with a very tart finish. Very different....

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bombshelter (349) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 5, 2005
bottle from belga in DC. more dominant sour character than the classic...this packs quite a punch. cherry, nuts, and a full delightlfully tart finish. great, but not one i could drink too many of in a sitting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Papsoe (25089) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 3, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2006 (Bottle 25 cl) Recalling the old Rodenbach commercial "Itís wine" this BEER actually reminds me a lot of red wine in both nose and flavour. Filtered, dark reddish beer. Strong acidic vinegar-like notes without much bitterness. Even for Belgians this is a unique beer - but one you grow to appreciate. At least I did. Try this with a paperbag of shrimps at the beach in De Panne. Yummy. 160593 & 240695

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pailhead (4622) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - MAY 2, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2005 Bottle: Nice tart and moderately sweet cherry with some vinegar in the aroma. Pours a very dark brown in the glass, but kind of an orangish-red when held to the light. Small off-white head diminishes somewhat quickly. Flavors are tart sour cherry and light vinegar. The flavor from aging in oak casks is definitely present in the finish. Leaves a very tart aftertaste, more than the actual flavor would lead you to expect. Not as good as the Alexander, but still very good.

Had this again at the aofoxxyís Labor Day gathering courtesy of MAP and knew I needed to re-rate this and lucky for me I obtained another bottle via trade with Shadey. The bottle I had was a couple years old. I donít know the exact vintage (it was the older style bottle), but Iíd say 3-4 years old. The new bottles Iíve tasted have been much better. Flavors are the same as mentioned above but tartness is much stronger which I prefer. This stuff is absolutely excellent and better than the Alexander.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hefevice (72) - Brisbane beer desert, AUSTRALIA - MAY 2, 2005
Bottle. Err...wow! Poured deep garnet with a reasonable head. Aroma just blew me away. Huge, sour acetic, lactic, medicinal (acetone almost) and funky. Taste was as per the aroma, reminded me of linctus phocodeine (cough medicine) that I used to take when I was a kid but with a little more funk and sophistication. What an amazing beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MullMan (1099) - New Jersey, USA - APR 29, 2005
I happened to stop by JimMack04ís and he was kind enough to share a bottle of this with me. it brings back great memories, since I havenít had this since 1989 at the Khyber Pass Pub in Phila PA. back then I was always seeking out whatever style I could find in Michael Jacksonís Beer companion. Iíd try a rodenbach then go off to slam dance & stage dive at a freaked out concert by bands like "Caroliner Open Wound Chorale". so this brew had all the same great things I remembered - beautiful strawberry-copper color, dark dan dense foamy head. very sexy beer. the scent is sour/tart cherry and vintage balsalmic. the flavor is quite similar. a little oak for balance, nice clean finish. so glad this is back in the US, thanks JimMack04!