overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2161   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - MAY 10, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2006 Pours a murky copper/ruby red great almond colored head. Aroma is oak and cherries. First sip is a bubbly sweet and tart bite with the oak flavor and dark cherries coming out. Oak is not overpowering, it goes with the tart fruitiness very well, this is just like champagne. Overal it’s a sour, tart, fruity, slight oaky tasting beer?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - MAY 7, 2005
First thing that goes through my head as soon as I un-cap this one is Red wine cooler....Then I read the label and find out that It’s actually aged in Oak varts for two years... Deep red in colour with a Fizzy white head. Aroma is mostly fruity (field berry comes to mind) with a hind of balsamic vinegar. Mouthfeel is very dry - much like red wine. Field berry favours with a very tart finish. Very different....

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bombshelter (349) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 5, 2005
bottle from belga in DC. more dominant sour character than the classic...this packs quite a punch. cherry, nuts, and a full delightlfully tart finish. great, but not one i could drink too many of in a sitting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Papsoe (25088) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 3, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2006 (Bottle 25 cl) Recalling the old Rodenbach commercial "It’s wine" this BEER actually reminds me a lot of red wine in both nose and flavour. Filtered, dark reddish beer. Strong acidic vinegar-like notes without much bitterness. Even for Belgians this is a unique beer - but one you grow to appreciate. At least I did. Try this with a paperbag of shrimps at the beach in De Panne. Yummy. 160593 & 240695

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pailhead (4765) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - MAY 2, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2005 Bottle: Nice tart and moderately sweet cherry with some vinegar in the aroma. Pours a very dark brown in the glass, but kind of an orangish-red when held to the light. Small off-white head diminishes somewhat quickly. Flavors are tart sour cherry and light vinegar. The flavor from aging in oak casks is definitely present in the finish. Leaves a very tart aftertaste, more than the actual flavor would lead you to expect. Not as good as the Alexander, but still very good.

Had this again at the aofoxxy’s Labor Day gathering courtesy of MAP and knew I needed to re-rate this and lucky for me I obtained another bottle via trade with Shadey. The bottle I had was a couple years old. I don’t know the exact vintage (it was the older style bottle), but I’d say 3-4 years old. The new bottles I’ve tasted have been much better. Flavors are the same as mentioned above but tartness is much stronger which I prefer. This stuff is absolutely excellent and better than the Alexander.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hefevice (72) - Brisbane beer desert, AUSTRALIA - MAY 2, 2005
Bottle. Err...wow! Poured deep garnet with a reasonable head. Aroma just blew me away. Huge, sour acetic, lactic, medicinal (acetone almost) and funky. Taste was as per the aroma, reminded me of linctus phocodeine (cough medicine) that I used to take when I was a kid but with a little more funk and sophistication. What an amazing beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MullMan (1099) - New Jersey, USA - APR 29, 2005
I happened to stop by JimMack04’s and he was kind enough to share a bottle of this with me. it brings back great memories, since I haven’t had this since 1989 at the Khyber Pass Pub in Phila PA. back then I was always seeking out whatever style I could find in Michael Jackson’s Beer companion. I’d try a rodenbach then go off to slam dance & stage dive at a freaked out concert by bands like "Caroliner Open Wound Chorale". so this brew had all the same great things I remembered - beautiful strawberry-copper color, dark dan dense foamy head. very sexy beer. the scent is sour/tart cherry and vintage balsalmic. the flavor is quite similar. a little oak for balance, nice clean finish. so glad this is back in the US, thanks JimMack04!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - APR 24, 2005
Pours a dark amber color, small white head. Aroma is sour apples and a belgian twang to it. Flavor is very mild for other styles i’ve had. Baked apples, and sweet and sour sauce, with some acidity.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
shadey (1887) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - APR 24, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2007 Deep red color with a thin white ring around the glass. Sour fruity aroma. Very fruity sweet flavor. The sour hits all up front and the finish is sweet raspberry sweetness. Really nice stuff.

RERATE: Best before date (6/30/06). At least a year old. Pour is a dark brown with some reddish tints. No real head as it is poured into the flute. Aroma tickles the nose. Very acidic. Flavor is cheek-twisting sour and acidic. The fruitiness seems to muted compared to a fresher version. Definitely dry, with a well carbonated body. Still a pleasure to drink but I think I like the fruitiness of a fresher bottle. 5/3/7/4/15

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - APR 20, 2005
Pours reddish-brown with a small white head. Cherries and wood in the aroma. Some of the same in the flavor as well as some old sweatsock. Nice tart finish.