overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2594   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

capretta (10) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 12, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2008 vinagary and sour with grape and cherry up front. noticable oak. no real hop characteristics. very dark colour with mild roast flavours. thin body and dry. lovely drop but not something you could drink a case of in one night!! ha

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
lovemyipas (544) - nw burbs, Illinois, USA - SEP 11, 2007
pours dark red with a nice two finger fluffy brown head. aroma is oak with some sour cherry and yeast. has a light to medium body with good lacing and carbonation. flavor is the same as aroma but stronger and there is a sweet taste to balance out the sour. the sour gives you a nice pucker at the end. also has a grape aroma and flavor and is a bit acidic. not to much on the aroma but pretty explosive on the palate and flavor. a pretty solid Flemish Sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footy (345) - scottsdale, Arizona, USA - SEP 8, 2007
12/25/04. 750 ml. Mahogany with large beige head. Sour vinegary sweet/tart aroma. excellent sweet/tart vinegary flavor. excellent

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dra19 (89) - holland, Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2007
Pours dark red with small off-white head. Aroma of sweet malt with a hint of cherry. The flavor is very tart and it somewhat reminded me of a cranberry drink I had as a kid. I have had only a few Flemish Sour Ales, and this is definitly one of the best I had.

Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - SEP 7, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2008 Revisited this one several times since my original rating, and I just keep coming back to it. This is such a great everyday sour. This one definitely falls into the "desert island beer" category. I could drink it every day!

Original rating 9/7/07. Pours a fairly clear, reddish-brown color. Small white rim for a head that leaves virtually no lacing. The aroma is of apple cider, sweet caramel, a little white desert wine, and fresh, sour cherries. Smells fantastic, and the taste does not disappoint. The flavor is heavily based on tart apple cider and fresh cherries. Ample amounts of freshly caramelized sugar balance out the fruity tartness. Medium body that drinks like soda. High carbonation is quite apparent in the fizzy mouthfeel. Short, pleasing, tart oaked cherry finish. Brilliant beer that is so incredibly easy to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lampeno420 (320) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - SEP 7, 2007
First flemish sour tasting. The smell almost put me off, but since this was at a tasting with a lot more good ones, my drinking partners showed me the way. What a great surprise! The end of the taste reminded me of the bottom of a bag of Sour Skittles, with a vinegar-y scent. I need to find more Flemish sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wobbler (46) - IRELAND - SEP 6, 2007
Having read alot about this before tasting it, I was worried that it would be just too sour. Not at all! Strongly sour but not in an offputting way. Strangely warming and really moreish. Difficult to get hold of at home (I had mine in Belgium) this is a great beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burkekamp (4) - USA - SEP 5, 2007 does not count
750 bottle. One of my favorites. Deep red-orange pour, very sparkley. Aroma of tangerine and yesterday’s dishwater, very acidic... like a fine Roquefort, enough to turn away the weak. Flavor of tart cherries and cranberries, very tart and very strong. Oak comes through in the finish. Absolutely refreshing and delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - SEP 4, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2007 Bottle. Pours a deep red with nearly zero head. Aroma is of cherry and vinegar. Flavor comes in with a balsamic like intensity. Highly acidic. Finish is complex, with some sweetness mixed in with the sour. Very interesting stuff and I’ll have to sample more, as well as more of the style. I really like this stuff and hope to try more of the style to see how it stands up. <P> I’ve had two more bottles now. I really like it. Still not sure where it stands style-wise but I keep buying it even though it’s pricy as hell in my area. Bumped up my score.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beershine (5219) - The Sunshine State, Florida, USA - SEP 4, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2007 Unfortunately the Rodenbach Grand Cru has changed over the years, becoming less assertive to please the masses. Still, it remains one of my favorites because I am a fan of Flemish sour ales. The sour cherry flavors are scrumptous. In the old days this beer would smell like dirty laundry if dirty laundry could smell could. The Rodenbach Grand Cru used to send shivers down my spine. Now it still entertains me and satisfies my craving for sour but it’s just not quite what it used to be.