Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2624   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

Hank1980 (966) - Athens, Georgia, USA - OCT 31, 2007
On tap at Blind Tiger. Great beer. Fruity sour aroma. I thought cranberries best described the aroma and taste. Some earthy characteristics as well. One of my first sours. Very good mouthfeel and appearance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
heavy (2773) - Split, CROATIA - OCT 30, 2007
27/10 As I got interested with my first sour ale (rate#100) I definitely wanted to try the best rated available in Croatia. Got 0.33 l bottle from Hopdevil, which poured brown body with small brownish head. Vinegar aroma, really sour, even comparing to other I’ve tried. Flavor surprisingly quite light, not so sour as I’ve expected to be, specially after strong aroma. Consisting of lemon, some other fruits like grapes, and black cherries it happen to be quite interesting. Finish is good reflecting the flavor mostly. Really great beer, although I’ve expected more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
alexanderj (3542) - Branson, Missouri, USA - OCT 27, 2007
Draft at Blind Tiger with golubj; poured a dark color of red and brown; little head. Aroma and taste was of grapes; substantial tartness; with some chocolate and wood. Not a big fan of this style, but well done for it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - OCT 24, 2007
Draft at the Blind Tiger. Very sour aroma with some earthy malt and it kind of smelled like champagne. The taste was somewhat like vinegar; quite sour but also a little bit fruity. I am not into sour beers, but this one seemed decent for the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
tarjei (1954) - Bryne, NORWAY - OCT 24, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2008 33 cl bottle. Dark brown/reddish color, nicem but disappering beige head. Sour and fruity, vinous, high carbonation. Complexe. I understand people who don´t like this. I´m not used to this style, but when I drink this one I know I will like it better and better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - OCT 24, 2007
Beautifully bold and shiny dark brown color with a fine, bright ruby glow within and around the edges when strongly back lit. Much like if it were an interchangeable stage light. Starchy topping of parchment paper colored foam builds up gracefully after the pour to about a finger high and slowly fades to a light skim and a few light specks and strings of lacing. Aroma is sweet and mostly sour with vineous grapes and cherry vinegar and a whole lot of earthly woodish notes that are very high ended and nose hair pullingly sour. Taste is a towering inferno of souring stuff that is quite complex and uniquely snappy on the palate. Instant tongue cleansing and cheek parching with super sweet, tart cherries, souring vinegar, and vineous quailties that scream dry wine. Lots of superb surroundings to earth, wood, and leaves. Dare I say raisin seems to drift around with some currant skins and a bit of plum too. The texture of sourness is incredibly complex. Acidicly sublime and balanced with just enough sweet to help keep it a bit more in check then it probably could be. The oak aging has done wonders here with all sorts of unique notes that remind me of being in a deeply wooded forest on a hot day as the heat rises from the forest floor and sifts through the thick tree foilage. Wonderful in that regards. Mouthfeel is like a swig of vinegar balanced with souring fruits and sweetened fruity malt. Crisp, tangy, full on oaky tinged heat and character, vineous dryness, and tones of well-handled sour is the beast of each sip. If sour patch candies were oak aged and pulled from the ground this would be the liquid form of that. Now as much as I enjoy these types of beers, I have always had a tremendously hard time drinking them with any ease. The sourness is beyond me and my capacity to handle them like a pro Lambic drinker is not something I can keep up with. So on that note I unfortunately have a hard time attributing a nubmer to the drinkability of such a beer. So since this took me a very, very long time to finish, I guess its my average? Damn good stuff though.

BelgiskOlklub (1052) - Viby J, DENMARK - OCT 21, 2007
A great beer - one of my favourites. It pours red/brown, whit a small rocky, white head. Sour flavour and aroma of cask wood. Refreshing and dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
nramsburg (259) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 20, 2007
Fantastic beer. Sour and refreshing. Not syrup-y or overly sweet. It is the hallmark of its style.

iswain1914 (19) - USA - OCT 15, 2007
No comment necessary.... If you don’t like this beer, then you are simply wrong

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rodenbach99 (4254) - Longueuil, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 15, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2011 bouteille et plusieurs fois !!! j’aime moins l’étiquette maintenant mais la bière j’espère est encore aussi bonne. bu en 2008, le bière n’est plus la même, vraiment surette. Bouteille de 330ml. Bière brune trouble sans mousse. Le nez est de cerises, boisé et complexe. La bouche acide, vineuse, acide et les cerises sont bien présents. Agréable