overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2178   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Gorbalev (2924) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 3, 2004
Bottle, lcbo ltd. release. Roby red pour, small white head. Huge sour aroma I could smell before the cap was all the way off - grapes, raisins, a strong wine - itís all here. Huge sour taste greats the lips from a fairly active mouthfeel - this calms down and leads to more body than you first thought was present. Strong sour and bitter kick at the back of the throat at the end as well. For the style, I suppose it is pretty good and delivers what you would expect, but for me, I found it quite undrinkable. It was simply too sour, with little else to balance it off. I may not have the most sophisticated of beer drinking experiences, but I have had this style before and really enjoyed it (Verhaeghe Duchesse De Bourgogne is fantastic because of the balance it achieves), but I will be honest here and say I could not finish this bottle. Deeply disappointing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Like some delectable confection this left me wanting more. Oh my! Sour in the most mouthwateringly fantastic way. Little elements floating through to say hello on the way. Tart, acidic, bladdity bladitty - the words really donít matter as this was just one of the nicest things that have passed my lips.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 2, 2004
pours a deep mahogany with a fullfrothy tan head. You can smell it without even being over the glass! The actual bouquet is sour apples, blackberries, raspberries, citric, ginger... lots of character! The taste: robust! Full flavour like a silky bouquet of sours hitting the palate. At first I was almost sure it was going to be a light liefmans, but this one is spectacular! Puts the goudenband in the pale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Burner (78) - Cape Town, SOUTH AFRICA - NOV 29, 2004
Very sour aromatic bouquet, with a clear copper body. Not terribly smooth, again very intense flavours.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Sampled at the DC/MD/VA/WV/PA Ratebeer Gathering 11/20/04. Clear dark amber with a beige head. Sour, fruity aroma. Taste has notes of cherry, caramel, lemon and citric tart sourness with some wood. Full and round and smooth on the palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - NOV 22, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 2, 2007 Reddish brown color with nice head and hardly any lacing. Aroma of bret, cherries and wood. Taste is both cherries and wood soaked in a wood cask. Sour tartness and toasted maltiness balance this out to be less tart than the Alexander. Some vinegar taste as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 22, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2006 Bottle from the shipment that hit the U.S. and Canadian shelves in 2004. Though I enjoyed it, Iím surprised it is as highly regarded as it is. I tried a bottle at the DC/MD/VA/WV gathering and a second bottle purchased from Whole Foods, later that week. The first sample was very appealing, but the second sample didnít do as much for me. I think the heavy filtration and pasteurisation really suck the life out of this stuff and make it drinkable and refreshing, but not a tour de complexite, so to speak. I think that a general disdain for heavy filtration and often times even pasteurisation, is one of the characteristics that make Belgian beers so special and this just seems to work against that. It tends to get rather boring, and even a bit too sweet and syrupy as you drink more of it. Granted I havent tried the pre-palm bottles which are sitting in my basement. So I have nothing to which to compare. But Iíll try one soon.
Joris told me that Rodenbach Grand Cru was unfiltered/unpasteurised (canít remember if it was both or just one) for a time back in the 70ís (if I recall correctly). That must have been some stuff! I would think this might be perhaps one of the greatest beers if I could only try a live, unfiltered sample. (note to self, go to the brewery and beg to be given a sample).

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 20, 2004
Cloudy but somewhat translucent red-brown w/ some sediment. Small, delicate, frothy beige head. Fruity, sour aroma of cherry & grape w/ a charming vinous/oak character & notes of carmel & vanilla. Light, slightly creamy feel. Clean, fruity flavour w/ a sharp, tannic acidity & lovely notes of caramel, toffee, vanilla & oak.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 11, 2004
This showed up at my local liquor store yesterday. YES!!!. Pours a rich mahogany colour with a thick toffee coloured head. The aromas given off by this brew were sublime, basamic notes, cherries, wood, damp basement mustiness, malt. The flavour was fantastic. A strong acidic tart throughout, oak, musty, cherreis, medium malt, blood?, nice carbonation. What an excellent brew. Iím going to need more.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
Emil (6066) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 5, 2004
Red-brown color, heavy sour light fruity aroma and taste, medium body, heavy sour finish.