overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2478   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
macbar (30) - ITALY - MAY 10, 2006
Ruby body, off-white head, sour, fruity nose. Extremely tart start, astringent yet fruity middle, acetic and citric finish, lingering. Complex.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - MAY 8, 2006
Tart, sour, lip-smacking. Not really my thing, but a beer that earns my respect.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
NewCastle1 (59) - Indiana, USA - MAY 6, 2006
The pour from the bottle was just about the only good thing about this beer. Nice golden brown color was very nice. But that is where th good ends for me. Way, way to much vineager aroma to this. Taste was just about the same. Vineager and a spoiled, sour apple taste to it. Not good at all. Actually made me sick to my stomach and could not drink anymore the rest of the night. Not a good experiance for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - MAY 6, 2006
Brown with a huge head. Horsy, sour aroma. Tart and funky, not too acidic and balanced with sweetness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
bp (847) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 5, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2007 Bottle purchased at Le Bier Temple in Brugge: Redish brown, sour, tart and acidic. The sour apple taste mentioned in the post below is a pretty accurate deScription. I had the regular Rodenbach and found it quite bland. This is a definite upgrade from that beer. Not something I could drink regularly but definitely enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
EithCubes (5366) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 3, 2006
As I suspect is the case with many of us, this was my first Flemish Sour. Bottled. Opaque brown burgundy under a smooth tan head. Cherry and wine aroma with a healthy dose of vinegar. Taste immediately attacks the tongue. Sour! but enjoyably so. Smooth yet acidic with an extremely tart finish. Sour cherry, sour apple, etc. Complex, tangy, has a ballsy personality. Quite a memorable experience for my throat.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Rune (9994) - Tromsø, NORWAY - MAY 1, 2006
330ml bottle (bb.01.03.2006). Deep brown red-tinged in colour. Off-white head, mostly disappearing. Medium aroma of sour dark fruit. Intense sourish flavour combined with a yeasty ending. I used nearly two hours to finish the bottle. This is not really my kind of beer, yet - will give it another try in a few years time (30.04.2006).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2006
If you like the taste of sour fruit and vinegar this beer is for you. I thought it was something else when i got the big bottle from a resturant( i could’nt send it back) Waaay too sour for me!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
oldrtybastrd (3448) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 24, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2009 Pours a reddish brown color. Aromas of dark fruit, yeast, and a touch of wood. Flavor is sour cherries, yeast, wood, and a couple of sweet tarts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
boojummy (50) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - APR 23, 2006
From a 750 ml bottle from the local package store. Pours a reddish-brown with an off-white head. Aroma is fruity and... vinegary. All of those wonderful, fruity flavors in Rodenbach Classic are there, working in the background-- but holy cow is this a sour beer! That flavor really hits you. Only a hit of oak flavor/aroma that I can detect depite the claim that it is oak-aged for 18 months. A nice treat, but I think I prefer the sourness in the background as in Rodenbach Classic.