overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2177   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
Panzuriel (1308) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2002
Maybe the one I had had turned or something, but mine was uber acrid and nasty. Very close to vinegary. This was a major disappointment as you can imagine. I’m too scared to try again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 11, 2002
Rerate: I have been meaning to rerate this when the weather got warmer and seeing as its mid-August here in Belgium and this is probably as hot as it’s going to get, then here goes.
Deep cherry red/brown clear colour. This time I got a much better tan lasting head and comprehensive full lacing as well. Aroma is even more impressive than last time. Strong cider-citrus-balsamic vinegar sour and oak plus fainter ripening strawberries and floral aroma. Serious full sour body. More tartaric than acetic but plenty of full mouth stimulation, wrinkled nose and puckering lips action, faint bitterness, some spices and old socks yeast flavours. Middle has continuing sour and mild bitter. Exceptionally clean dry refreshing finish. Still needs practice but hey, I dont mind doing that at all.
First rated: 4/17/2002 3.5

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocKozzak99 (143) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 8, 2002
Great beer! Very tasty with a nice fruity background. Should be experienced. Nice one to have with a dessert or with beef!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 4, 2002
Thank you sir,may I have another.The best thing about this beer is when you are sitting ina Belgian Cafe they are only about 1.80 American LOL :)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jerohen (1995) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - AUG 1, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2009 I obviously have to revise my opinion about this one, this is flemish sour ale is (like many beers of this style) pretty good. Wonderful appearance. Kriek-like aroma, fruity and yeasty. Complex flavour, smooth long finish. Nice!

caesar (5119) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - AUG 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2003 Quite funny. My first encounter with the Rodenbach was also my first experience with a flemish red. I can remember i wasn't quite known with the more sour belgian styles, and this style in particular was overcherried in my opinion. But as my tastebuds have evolved throughout my presence on ratebeer, i can appreciate more and more different styles. So also, the flemish sour ales. There you go: a 4.0! Original Rate:Although i admire the perhaps greatness of this beer, i just cant appreciate fruitbeers, and this one does remind me of a simple Kriek, with it's enormous cherry taste. It's very fruity and that's the thing which f*cks up the flavour! Beer is made of hops and granes and not of fruit!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rauchbier (3607) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - JUL 26, 2002
Confusingly aroma and flavour seem unconnected in this brew, hints of cherry coconut and marzipan in the nose that do not translate to the flavour at all. First sip is tannin laced with an iron like note reminiscent of blood and a woody sourness like sucking a chunk of, er, wood. Suddenly a note of chinese five spice kicks in and totally throws me. Finish is tart and puckeringly astringent. Postscript: woke up this morning thinking I had bit my lip in my sleep only to realise it was the aftertaste of iron and blood still lingering from 8 hours earlier. now thats one hell of an aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 25, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2003 A bit too tart at times. Otherwise magnificent. Can only drink one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
leapinbass99 (15) - Goleta, California, USA - JUL 22, 2002
At first I wasn’t ready for this one. I actually thought it might be skunked. But by the time I finished it I wanted another one. The sharp fruity flavor is actually very refreshing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 22, 2002
I have had this bottle for nearly two years and decided to have this during the Summer Party though I was unable to attend. Brown to near burgundy in color with a soft tan head. Very sweet perfumey aroma that is almost winey. Some rather oaky hints on the perimeter. Rather sour, woody, viney and earthy (peaty) with a minimally bitter complement. The slight yeast pour yields some softening to the sour attributes. This is quite the sipping beer, which is what I will continue to do as I watch the sink over Barnegat Bay.