overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2148   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
omhper (19225) - TyresŲ, SWEDEN - MAY 2, 2002
Dark brownish red. Big fruity, balasamic aroma. Tart, with balanced acidity and cask character. Complex and simply wonderful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - APR 28, 2002
Alot of spiciness and fruitiness going on in this one. The malt along with oak and acid make this a perfect appetizer.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
karsten (240) - odense, DENMARK - APR 13, 2002
Sour and sharp bouquet. Not my beer at all. It is more like a awful cider.

NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - APR 13, 2002
Amazing, pilloy, off-white head, and it crackles if you put your ear to it! Got kind of careless with anticipation, had to use a two stage pour. Bright nose, taut mouthfeel. I love how the tartness wallops me right in the back corners of my mouth. This one had my full attention for quite a while, and it left me smacking my mouth for hours trying to relive the experience. Thatís after I turned the bottle over looking for every last drop. Also gave me some of the best beer belches Iíve ever had. A truly incredible beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - MAR 28, 2002
Pretty much my favorite beer of all time. Perfect if you like the style. I wish I had a wooden cask full of the stuff. My only complaint is that I canít get enough.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - MAR 17, 2002
Nice sweet aroma. Wonderful sweet body with a slight sourness and fruit taste. WOW! I guess I will have to save some for those hot Atlanta days.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Suttree (5068) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 15, 2002
If you havenít had this, at least try it. Not at all íbeeryí in a traditional sense. Very quenching, very sour. Not something for everyday, but it is a unique change of pace.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
pivo (2545) - GERMANY - MAR 6, 2002
Holy cow. This thing is sweet and sour at the same time. The sourness starts with the nose and goes through to the finish. But, as the chocolate brown color indicates, there is a full malty body that imparts sweet undertones. Itís like a candy sour ball - Makes you pucker. Slighlty spicy, too, probably from the hops, but this is generally unbitter. More fruity, like a mango or kiwi. Hard to tell in this complex brew. Unusually, complex and challenging. Goes with just about no food.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 26, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2004 Wonderful cherry aroma combined with acidy components. Sweet, but not too sweet, balanced by the sour component. Very well balanced.

canary dog (655) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - FEB 21, 2002
UPDATED: APR 1, 2012 Updated review: I needed to re-rate this beer. My general impression hasnít changed, I just appreciate this unique(?), totally delicious beer a lot more. Deep, hearty fruity smell, similar to Dr. Pepper; but maltier. The ruddy red color is a joy, and if you can pour it fast enough, you can get decent foam on it. The taste is bracingly tart, but gets more enjoyable with each sip. As you can imagine this does a number on the palate. An awesome beer that is actually difficult to describe. Just try it for yourself. Delicious as both a room temperature sipper, and as a quaffable chilled drink. Not only is this the best beer ever.....it is the best beverage of all time. It is the single greatest consumable liquid known. Wow.