overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2081   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
drewaha (129) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 27, 2012
Typical sour ale flavor (nail polosh remover) but I felt that the palate was a little more watery than I would have liked. Very little carbonation I think takes away from the potential of the beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zmanzorro (128) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 11, 2012
On tap in a tulip glass. Pours a very dark reddish color with a thin white head. Aroma is fruity and vinegary. Taste is sour with some fruitiness. Low carbonation with a slight burn.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ReverendMoon (128) - Illinois, USA - AUG 22, 2013
So this is my first sour rating. At first, I wanted to take it back (however tht was due to the style and my tastes not initially meshing, not the quality of the beer). As I had more, though, it grew on me Considerably. It is tart, sour certainly. But if this is a style you enjoy, I have little trouble saying that this will be a pleasant experience for you.

GenkiGonzo (128) - Kyoto, JAPAN - MAR 27, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2014 Draught at Craft Beer Base. Crimson colour with small head, very little lacing. Aroma has lots of cherry and oak, reminds me of a watered down Macallan single malt. Flavour has plum and cherry well balanced with sour notes. Surprisingly drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jacob23_5 (128) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JAN 8, 2012
Bottle at Edinburgh Brauhaus. Dark red, thin off-white head, half-centimetre thick at most. Aromas of balsamic vinegar, wood, cherries and big wafts of sour tomatoes. The flavours are sweet-sour, pretty acidic, with notes of liquorice, pistachio and even good sauvignon blanc. Perfect carbonation and a smooth mouth-feel complete this fantastic beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
Ansset13 (127) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - FEB 16, 2008
I may have had a bad bottle, or simply think this style is not great. I’ll try another, and re-rate. For now my first drain pour!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rebelbrewer (125) - Lithonia, Georgia, USA - MAR 6, 2006
Served from a 750 ml cork and caged bottle. The neck of the bottle was wrapped in gold foil. There is a picture of some oak barrels on the front label. On the back label is a description of the beer and a suggestion to try this brew with seafood or other dishes garnished in lemon. This poured up a cloudy light reddish brown with almost no head. There is a small ring of foam that does stay around the entire time. Of course there is a sour smell to this brew. As soon as the cork came out of the bottle I smelled cider vinegar. Once it was in my snifter and I sniffed it I got some fruity aromas lying around under that big sour smell. No way could any hops ever get through this. Taste - Wow! The word "complex" was invented to describe this beer. The sour is always there, but as this Red Ale roams around your mouth you get a huge refreshing lemon hit. Then a cherry like flavor comes through as you swallow. Finishes with a sharp sour slap on the back of your throat and leaves your mouth watering and your brain going, "Whut?" This stuff fits its style well. This Red is so light on the palate it jumps around in your mouth. The carbonation makes it a bit course, but that is just some of the fun of this one. This is one I could drink all night. I love sour stuff like shock tarts and this brew. This definitely goes on my buy more list. Note: Well I didn’t have any seafood lying around or any dishes in my fridge garnished in lemon, but I did have some sharp cheddar and Colby jack cheese. When I finished reviewing this brew I sat back and relaxed and enjoyed the remainder of the bottle with some of that cheese. Very nice! I can see having this with a hunk of sea bass or a huge pile of boiled shrimp.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
PolishHammer (124) - Norwalk, Connecticut, USA - MAY 18, 2009
Wow. The first sour I’ve really enjoyed. Flavor smells of sour green apples, under-ripe citrus, and tart cranberry. Flavor matches, and the wild yeast/bacteria flavor that I’m used to is very understated, which is great. There are no off or unpleasant flavors...or if there are, they are well hidden. A very mellow sour, which may come from the blending of aged beer with fresh, which is characteristic of this style. A very interesting, easy drinking sour, that I’m glad to have experienced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
str023 (123) - Stokmarknes, NORWAY - JUL 27, 2011
Beige fizzy head which disappears quicly. Hazy redbrown body. Smells of cherry, citrus, oak and yeast. Intense citrus taste with cherry notes and vinegar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Whelk (123) - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - NOV 12, 2007
Bottle, best by 21/02/09. Pours dark reddish brown with a light tan head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is vinous with raspberry/cranberry notes. Very fruity in the mouth, lots of raspberry/cranberry. Vinous, little spicy carbonation, with a sour tangy finish.