overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2340   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
brinehart (212) - Colorado, USA - JAN 29, 2014
Beautiful red pour. Funky fruits and just a hint of vinegar on the nose. Flavor is fruity with good sourness mid-palette finishing almost creamy. Sourness is tart cherry and pleasant vinegar. Very little lemon. Refreshing brew. On draft at Flying Saucer in Houston.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mart (211) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 8, 2007
Bouteille, au Bières et cie à Montréal. Bourgogne foncée, presque opaque, mais claire, mousse très mince qui reste, trace légèrement le verre. Arôme intense, sûr, vineux, caramel et fruité. Goût complexe mélangeant le sucré et le sûr, très vineux, notes chocolatées, on détecte le chêne. Corps moyen, effervescence plutôt forte, mais douce. Évidemment un Grand Cru !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 19, 2004
Very dark, tan head which collapses pretty quick. Aroma is cool as all get out, cherries, those evil black ones, and the vinegar overtones everyone speaks of. Already I am worried that I am not at a level to appreciate this one, it's obviously very complex but so different, like the first time I tried a kriek but more so... and I am right, this is weird, but great. The sour is finished with a tart flavour. Very quick and clean completion of the drink off the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - SEP 16, 2006
Bottle. Pours a amber colour. I have never had anything like this ! When I took the first sip the sourness hit me hard. Its not only sour but also very complex. I dont think I could drink more than one of these at a time, but I will definitely drink it again.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
zootfinster (210) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 16, 2008
I really don’t like this beer. The taste of cherries and currants is far too strong and so is the acidity. The aroma is equally as distasteful as the taste. It looks like coca cola and I personally think coke tastes better I’d rate it lower but I didn’t want to get into the Bud Light territory

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
foundmd (210) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 16, 2011
750ml bottle. Pours dark ruby brown with a white head that leaves heavy lacing. Aroma of tart fruit with hints of red wine oak and funk. Fantastic tart flavor that’s very balanced and not too acetic. Notes of sour cherries, grapes, bread, yeast, umami, vinegar, and wood. Delicate on the palate with lively carbonation and a lingering tart finish. A world class brew.

NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - APR 13, 2002
Amazing, pilloy, off-white head, and it crackles if you put your ear to it! Got kind of careless with anticipation, had to use a two stage pour. Bright nose, taut mouthfeel. I love how the tartness wallops me right in the back corners of my mouth. This one had my full attention for quite a while, and it left me smacking my mouth for hours trying to relive the experience. That’s after I turned the bottle over looking for every last drop. Also gave me some of the best beer belches I’ve ever had. A truly incredible beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dzhigga (208) - Kirov, RUSSIA - MAR 27, 2015
Bottle. Dark brown color with small unsteady head. Aroma of apple vinegar, some champagne-like notes. Taste is heavy sour, but well-balanced and pleasant. Finish is sour and astringent. Interesting beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beerapprentice (207) - Hopatcong, New Jersey, USA - JAN 24, 2010
On draft at Rattle N Hum. Pours a dark colour. Aroma of sour grapes, funk and a vinous scent. Flavour is much the same as the aroma. Tastes like sour grapes and I dunno what else. Good stuff. Maybe it’s because I love sours but I thought this beer was great. Sorry to disagree, Slipstream.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
hiddenvariable (206) - pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2008
bottle. pours a clear reddish brown with a thick off-white head that starts to fade quickly but slows down and fluffs up, leaving a good amount of lacing as it hangs around. fantastic smell of sour grapes, balsamic vinegar, some sour cherries, and some wood. strong oaky flavor with sour cherries dominating a solid fruity ester profile, maybe a bit of lemon and sour apple as well. the finish is unlike anything i’ve had: intense, biting sour (in a good way), with a touch of sweetness backing it up, leaving a sort of grape preserves flavor lingering in your puckering mouth. lots of carbonation, and a medium body, with a mouthfeel that disappears quickly as the acidic sourness thickens in your mouth what would be a coating, astringent beer and turns it into something else entirely. i’ve never had anything this sour that wasn’t a candy. a damned interesting beer that i have to be in the mood for, but when i am, it has no replacement.