overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2563   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mart (211) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 8, 2007
Bouteille, au Bières et cie à Montréal. Bourgogne foncée, presque opaque, mais claire, mousse très mince qui reste, trace légèrement le verre. Arôme intense, sûr, vineux, caramel et fruité. Goût complexe mélangeant le sucré et le sûr, très vineux, notes chocolatées, on détecte le chêne. Corps moyen, effervescence plutôt forte, mais douce. Évidemment un Grand Cru !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
foundmd (210) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 16, 2011
750ml bottle. Pours dark ruby brown with a white head that leaves heavy lacing. Aroma of tart fruit with hints of red wine oak and funk. Fantastic tart flavor that’s very balanced and not too acetic. Notes of sour cherries, grapes, bread, yeast, umami, vinegar, and wood. Delicate on the palate with lively carbonation and a lingering tart finish. A world class brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 19, 2004
Very dark, tan head which collapses pretty quick. Aroma is cool as all get out, cherries, those evil black ones, and the vinegar overtones everyone speaks of. Already I am worried that I am not at a level to appreciate this one, it's obviously very complex but so different, like the first time I tried a kriek but more so... and I am right, this is weird, but great. The sour is finished with a tart flavour. Very quick and clean completion of the drink off the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - SEP 16, 2006
Bottle. Pours a amber colour. I have never had anything like this ! When I took the first sip the sourness hit me hard. Its not only sour but also very complex. I dont think I could drink more than one of these at a time, but I will definitely drink it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
hiddenvariable (209) - pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2008
bottle. pours a clear reddish brown with a thick off-white head that starts to fade quickly but slows down and fluffs up, leaving a good amount of lacing as it hangs around. fantastic smell of sour grapes, balsamic vinegar, some sour cherries, and some wood. strong oaky flavor with sour cherries dominating a solid fruity ester profile, maybe a bit of lemon and sour apple as well. the finish is unlike anything i’ve had: intense, biting sour (in a good way), with a touch of sweetness backing it up, leaving a sort of grape preserves flavor lingering in your puckering mouth. lots of carbonation, and a medium body, with a mouthfeel that disappears quickly as the acidic sourness thickens in your mouth what would be a coating, astringent beer and turns it into something else entirely. i’ve never had anything this sour that wasn’t a candy. a damned interesting beer that i have to be in the mood for, but when i am, it has no replacement.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
alvaro78 (209) - Sevilla, SPAIN - MAY 26, 2016
En aroma frutos rojos ácido y vino Buen color rojo intenso con espuma leve toda la birrA En boca se nota la vise del vino y frutos rojos ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - APR 13, 2002
Amazing, pilloy, off-white head, and it crackles if you put your ear to it! Got kind of careless with anticipation, had to use a two stage pour. Bright nose, taut mouthfeel. I love how the tartness wallops me right in the back corners of my mouth. This one had my full attention for quite a while, and it left me smacking my mouth for hours trying to relive the experience. That’s after I turned the bottle over looking for every last drop. Also gave me some of the best beer belches I’ve ever had. A truly incredible beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beerapprentice (207) - Hopatcong, New Jersey, USA - JAN 24, 2010
On draft at Rattle N Hum. Pours a dark colour. Aroma of sour grapes, funk and a vinous scent. Flavour is much the same as the aroma. Tastes like sour grapes and I dunno what else. Good stuff. Maybe it’s because I love sours but I thought this beer was great. Sorry to disagree, Slipstream.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Patdelichte (206) - - AUG 1, 2015
Als niet fan van Kriek achtige bieren vind ik deze nog best lekker. Rood/bruinachtige kleur met zurige smaak maar hele lichte afdronk. Lekkere kersen nasmaak.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nesta13 (205) - AUSTRALIA - AUG 20, 2003
Cherry and old wine aroma. Quite attractive with its murky red body and small cream head. It seems like there is a brand new flavour with every mouthful... the cherry-sourness is always there and then sometimes there is vinegar or caramel or wine. Amazingly complex. Just a weird beer but the more you drink of it the more it grows on you !(although if I had to make a criticism i'd say the "cherryness" is just slightly too dominant - I'd like to taste more of the wood for example) Palate is sour up front, bitter on the sides and sweet down the back. Definately NOT a session beer but a great treat. "Ewww, there's something wrong with that beer, nesta." says my mum. hehehehhehe