Rodenbach Vin de Céréale

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 339   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
2004 Vintage, from a single "Foeder" (N° 135)(barrel), ripened for 3 years, uncoloured.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mcberko (6272) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 10, 2013
2004 Vintage. 375mL bottle at DHVL, pours a fairly clear amber / copper with a small beige head. Aroma of sweet liqueur, like cognac and sherry, red wine notes, and some sour red fruits -- you can certainly detect the higher alcohol. Flavour is very vinous, with complex notes of red wine, sweet liqueur and oak. Very sweet and sort of cidery, with also prominent vinous and liqueur notes. Bizarre stuff - the body is very thin, with an almost cloying sweetness. The aromatics were a lot more pleasant to me, while the body kind of cloys. Weird stuff - fairly good in small samples.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
berntholer (850) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - MAY 3, 2013
no head at all. slight pinkish colour. aroma of red fruits, raspberry, strawberry and somewhat sour. delicious long sour taste with aftertaste of raspberry and some balsamico. great stuff! 37.5 cl bottle / notes from backlog

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Flocci (35) - BELGIUM - APR 29, 2013
I have caught a double-agent. The owner of "d’Afspraak" in Mechelen told me it was hiding in his cellar. Un-be-liev-able it hadn’t yet been discovered there. It’s a wine pretending to be a beer, and a beer posing as a wine. It is neither and yet both. It doesn’t don the expected white hat, nor does it wear the classic frivolous lace. No-nonsense attire, and a nice tan to boot. Suspicious already, I wanted to sniff it out. And oh, this Rodenbach was good at its job; it confused me even more. Cider, oak, chocolate, grass, malt: it was all there. An eau de toilette that could conceal anything and everything. Now that I had my teeth into it, I was determined to reveal it as a fraud, but it threw everything it had at me. Sweet and alluring, sourly contradicting my accusations, flirting and warm, such a smooth operator. Nearly had me calling it honey. I may have caught it, but I have to admit it seduced me - like you might expect of the goodlooking spies in a James Bond movie. And I don’t regret it one bit, nor will I ever turn it in. There are few of them left in the world, and less every day - you’ll be lucky if you ever get to see one, let alone catch it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Staffan47 (860) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - APR 27, 2013
2004 helt unikt otippat. Lenner drar fram den när vi är på väg hem. Kjellander tycker att vi hetsar. Som rodenbach Grand cru men lite mer av allt

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhillyCraft (3167) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 3, 2013
04 bottle shared by Barry at a tasting. Poured blood red with light head and lacing. Aromas/taste of vinegar, apples, malts, acetone, leather, and oak. Light mouthfeel with lots of sour fruits and other weird stuff. I think this may have been a little too old or im not that crazy about rodenbach.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jredmond (5295) - Manhattan, New York, USA - MAR 2, 2013
2004 vintage bottle courtesy of Barry, shared at Franks. Pours a deep amber with no head or pacing. Aroma is muted ice cider - faint apples, light vinegar and sweet sugar. Mouthfeel is medium to light with notes of apple, light muted sour fruit, and sugar. Interesting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
thome50 (1018) - Boringville aka Irvine, California, USA - FEB 6, 2013
Opened my bottle at Woodshop 7 last year. Pours a deep orange with no bubbles or carbonation at all. Lots of apple and some vinegar and sugar in the aroma. Taste is not the distinctive Rodenbach flavor profile I’ve noticed in the other beers of theirs I’ve had. More toffee, malt and just a bit of fruit. Overall, a beer that was probably a lot better a few years ago.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ianhuntley73 (21) - - JAN 21, 2013
Pour is an apple juice looking amber with no head. The nose is of green apple, sweet caramel malt, light vinegar, sour cherries and light acetic acid. Flavor follows the nose, sweeter and brighter cherries and less acetic. Creamy medium to full body with decent carbonation. Rather sweet and a touch vinegary with light carb to balance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
teorn88 (1923) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 3, 2013
Bottle at Delirium, Brussels. It pours a flat bruin colour with no head or bubbles whatsoever. Smell is vinegarish and winey, with that ethanol reminescense. Taste is unidimensional on the vinegar with little wine notes. Could not find the typical vanilla, oak and leather notes I learnt to love in my Rodenbach. I guess time took it’s fair share from my bottle. Worst of the Rodenbach family so far.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bamsen78 (3078) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - JAN 2, 2013
Bottle. Pours clear tea brown with nearly no head. Distinct vinous aroma with clear notes of hops and malt. Very sour, but pleasant taste. Nearly no carbonation. Rough aftertaste. Interesting.