Rodenbach Vin de Céréale

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 336   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
2004 Vintage, from a single "Foeder" (N° 135)(barrel), ripened for 3 years, uncoloured.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joergen (20476) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAR 3, 2008
Bottle. Clear orange coloured wityh a fast disappearing white head. Light acidic aroma of wood, wine and vanilla. Light acidic flavour of red wine and wood with notes of foie gras/liver/blood. Tart finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hapjydeuce (924) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 2, 2008
One of the specials from Chris’s stash at the 3rd Annual Woodshop Tasting. Thanks for busting out this rarity! I’m really stoked I was able to get a sip of this. A very unique beer. White-yellow chardonnay appearance that pours silky and still. Very vinous nose with notes of apple cider, pear and some balsamic character. The flavor transitions here were mind-blowing. Starts with white grapes and sour apple that moves towards a pleasant whole grain finish with some barrel presence. As WeeHeavy notes, like a bowl of Cheerios. Elegant palate, with a mild lasting sourness. Hell yeah.

WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - MAR 2, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2008 12th Rating from 3rd Annual Woodshop tasting in Temple City, CA. 3/1/08. One hell of a day put on by Cquiroga, thanks for a killer day Chris. Also spent the day there with bikesanbeer, my girlfriend Cyn, wetherel, JohnC, DenverLogan, dirty_martini, jasparg, DrBil, IPAFiend, awaisanen and many others, this was one crazy day. Bottle from cquiroga, people were joking this should be called vin de cheerios. Pours copper. Nose is huge with lots of vinegar and rodenbach grand cru comes to mind. Taste is sweet and big and very much like Rodenbach Grand Cru once again. Sweet, sour, tart, and cereal esque. Wow.

xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - MAR 2, 2008
I am having a hard time pouring this beer. I feel like I "need" a beer. I rarely have moments where I need a beer, but Leah has just dumped out half of my cellar in a fit of self-righteous fury. I’ve been waiting for number 500 for a long time, and I was not sure that I’d ever get here, but the closer that the event came, the harder it became to make a decision as to what beer would be number 500. It had to be special, and it had to be a special occasion. I was hoping to wait until Shawn graduated from Siebel and we could all share something exceedingly rare as a group, such as a Barrel Aged Alesmith, but I feel like my faith in beer has been violated. I worked so hard and spent so much money, just to see much of my hard work go for naught. Right now, I need this beer. I need the validation that beer hunting is worth it, and that all of the money spent and the stress associated with trading, and organizing tastings, and everything that goes along with the hobby is worth it. It’s been a very, very long time since I drank a rare beer by myself, in fact, I can’t even remember the last time, but here I go: Pours with no head and tons of champagne-like bubbles. The color of golden redemption, rays of sunshine shoot out of the bottle and into my glass. The beer quickly goes still, no bubbles or anything, just a rich, golden mead color with the viscous body to boot. Jesus, the aroma on this is so alluring; it is like La Folie, but more subdued: ripe, rich vinegar, oak, and tart cherries. Some diacetyl is present, but I think it is more oak derived than anything else, as it does not show up in the taste as much. Speaking of the taste, Vin de Cereale is a very apt name for this beer. A creamy, ripe, but slightly soured, cherry is what I notice more than anything else initially (very similar in profile to the 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek), but the finish is a more malted caramel graininess-with touches of alcohol- than the Schaerbeekse and is much more balanced and nuanced overall. This is a beautiful beer. I needed this today. By the way, thank you to MikeTD for this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - MAR 1, 2008
sampled at the woodshop tasting, thanks to cquiroga cider aroma, golden color, sour, sour , sour

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DenverLogan (770) - MileHi, Colorado, USA - MAR 1, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2008 Big sweet cider aroma. Color of 18 caret gold. Amazing aroma, flavor, unique and distinctive, though not like a "normal" bier...haha spritzy ...hehe...hoho...alalala... green apple notes...lovely and fun.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Brix (633) - DENMARK - FEB 28, 2008
Tasted 2008-02-27. 2004 vintage. Pours beautiful, clear, golden, light amber with off-white head. The head disappears fast - still beautiful! Aroma: A nice acidic background, but what dominates this bottle is a strong paste-like diacetyl scent. Totally ruins it for me! Same with flavour: Very nice acidic barnyard-like background, but in the aftertaste, all that’s left is that nasty paste! Despite all, it’s very complex and has a full body, but I’m very disappointed! 3-5-7-4-7 (2,6) ---- Rerate: The day after I had another bottle. This time the diacetyl was a lot less pronounced, but it was still there. 7-5-7-4-14 (3,7) I rate the average of the two bottles!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 27, 2008
Courtesy hopscotch. Thanks Eric for another rarity! Pours a clear, golden apple cider color with virtually no head or lacing. Scents of tart apples, light bretty funk, lemon rhind, dry grains, and some woodsy barnyard notes work in unison to tantalize the nose. The flavor is quite tart, yet sufficiently sweet to enhance drinkability. Tart apples, musty cider notes, lemony acidity, and sour white grapes all are present. The finish is quite ascorbic, with the citrus elements really asserting themselves. Alcohol is well hidden. Medium bodied and perfectly carbonated, this one is incredibly refreshing. Awesome brew! This is just how I like my blonde sours.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Madsnp (933) - DENMARK - FEB 27, 2008
Bottle. Clear and copper coloured beer with almost no head. Aromas like honey, wood, grain and cereal. The taste is sweet at first but ends in a citric way. The 10% alchohol is not dominant at all and the result is a refreshing and very complex sour ale. Well worth a try!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ungstrup (29017) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - FEB 25, 2008
Bottled. A copper colored beer with next to no beige head. The aroma is lovely complex with an acidic note in the background on which is notes of wood, brettanomyces, unripe wine grapes, unripe apples, and cloudberries. The flavor is sweet just when it hits the lips, but from then on the tartness hits combined with lots of complexity of wood, brettanomyces, grapefruit, cloudberries, dry white wine, fresh green apples, and more - lovely complexiity. The finish is tart and the acidity burns slightly in the throat. The alcohol is only just felt. This should be listed under a new style: Imperial Flemmish Sour.