Rodenbach Vin de Céréale

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 339   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
2004 Vintage, from a single "Foeder" (N° 135)(barrel), ripened for 3 years, uncoloured.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Tasted at 2008 Woodshop hosted by cquiroga. Malty, a hint of sour. Very little carbonation. Sweet. Light amber color. Very Rodenbachy with a great combination of sweet and sour. Delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Fin (7267) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 5, 2008
Bottle at Oude Arsenaal, Antwerp, Belgium, 02-03-08 Pours very clear but looks quite aged as indeed it is, the look and aroma make me think of an old much loved leather sofa, no head to this beer, there is also some sherry vinegar wafting through. Taste is surprisingly soft sourness, with woodiness and tartness showing along with some vanilla. The sherry vinegar on the nose also makes a guest appearance in the mouth but it’s fleeting and interesting. Absolutely amazed that this was 10%, I really liked this but once again with Rodenbach think I need to revisit it to truly appreciate what they have created here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
yespr (30713) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - MAR 4, 2008
RB BE # 500: From bottle@Alvinne PreZBF2008 open house (crazy Alvinne Special sampler with Struise Pannepot Grand Reserva, Westvleteren 12, Vin de Cereal and Alvinne Oak Podge). Pours clear cobber and with no head. Dry woody and wineous brett nose. Sweet caramel and intense estery woody sour flavour. Distinct barrel notes to the woody flavour. Solid bite in the finish. Light woody lingering and wineous. Light spiced too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joergen (20569) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAR 3, 2008
Bottle. Clear orange coloured wityh a fast disappearing white head. Light acidic aroma of wood, wine and vanilla. Light acidic flavour of red wine and wood with notes of foie gras/liver/blood. Tart finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hapjydeuce (926) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 2, 2008
One of the specials from Chris’s stash at the 3rd Annual Woodshop Tasting. Thanks for busting out this rarity! I’m really stoked I was able to get a sip of this. A very unique beer. White-yellow chardonnay appearance that pours silky and still. Very vinous nose with notes of apple cider, pear and some balsamic character. The flavor transitions here were mind-blowing. Starts with white grapes and sour apple that moves towards a pleasant whole grain finish with some barrel presence. As WeeHeavy notes, like a bowl of Cheerios. Elegant palate, with a mild lasting sourness. Hell yeah.

WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - MAR 2, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2008 12th Rating from 3rd Annual Woodshop tasting in Temple City, CA. 3/1/08. One hell of a day put on by Cquiroga, thanks for a killer day Chris. Also spent the day there with bikesanbeer, my girlfriend Cyn, wetherel, JohnC, DenverLogan, dirty_martini, jasparg, DrBil, IPAFiend, awaisanen and many others, this was one crazy day. Bottle from cquiroga, people were joking this should be called vin de cheerios. Pours copper. Nose is huge with lots of vinegar and rodenbach grand cru comes to mind. Taste is sweet and big and very much like Rodenbach Grand Cru once again. Sweet, sour, tart, and cereal esque. Wow.

xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - MAR 2, 2008
I am having a hard time pouring this beer. I feel like I "need" a beer. I rarely have moments where I need a beer, but Leah has just dumped out half of my cellar in a fit of self-righteous fury. I’ve been waiting for number 500 for a long time, and I was not sure that I’d ever get here, but the closer that the event came, the harder it became to make a decision as to what beer would be number 500. It had to be special, and it had to be a special occasion. I was hoping to wait until Shawn graduated from Siebel and we could all share something exceedingly rare as a group, such as a Barrel Aged Alesmith, but I feel like my faith in beer has been violated. I worked so hard and spent so much money, just to see much of my hard work go for naught. Right now, I need this beer. I need the validation that beer hunting is worth it, and that all of the money spent and the stress associated with trading, and organizing tastings, and everything that goes along with the hobby is worth it. It’s been a very, very long time since I drank a rare beer by myself, in fact, I can’t even remember the last time, but here I go: Pours with no head and tons of champagne-like bubbles. The color of golden redemption, rays of sunshine shoot out of the bottle and into my glass. The beer quickly goes still, no bubbles or anything, just a rich, golden mead color with the viscous body to boot. Jesus, the aroma on this is so alluring; it is like La Folie, but more subdued: ripe, rich vinegar, oak, and tart cherries. Some diacetyl is present, but I think it is more oak derived than anything else, as it does not show up in the taste as much. Speaking of the taste, Vin de Cereale is a very apt name for this beer. A creamy, ripe, but slightly soured, cherry is what I notice more than anything else initially (very similar in profile to the 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek), but the finish is a more malted caramel graininess-with touches of alcohol- than the Schaerbeekse and is much more balanced and nuanced overall. This is a beautiful beer. I needed this today. By the way, thank you to MikeTD for this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - MAR 1, 2008
sampled at the woodshop tasting, thanks to cquiroga cider aroma, golden color, sour, sour , sour

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DenverLogan (772) - MileHi, Colorado, USA - MAR 1, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2008 Big sweet cider aroma. Color of 18 caret gold. Amazing aroma, flavor, unique and distinctive, though not like a "normal" bier...haha spritzy ...hehe...hoho...alalala... green apple notes...lovely and fun.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Brix (633) - DENMARK - FEB 28, 2008
Tasted 2008-02-27. 2004 vintage. Pours beautiful, clear, golden, light amber with off-white head. The head disappears fast - still beautiful! Aroma: A nice acidic background, but what dominates this bottle is a strong paste-like diacetyl scent. Totally ruins it for me! Same with flavour: Very nice acidic barnyard-like background, but in the aftertaste, all that’s left is that nasty paste! Despite all, it’s very complex and has a full body, but I’m very disappointed! 3-5-7-4-7 (2,6) ---- Rerate: The day after I had another bottle. This time the diacetyl was a lot less pronounced, but it was still there. 7-5-7-4-14 (3,7) I rate the average of the two bottles!