overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1428   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 75% young beer fermented in steel tanks and 25% old beer aged 2 year in large oak casks. Rodenbach bears the proud title of "the most refreshing beer in the world".

booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 20, 2002
Sour and tasty. Lots of cherry flavor. Nice long finish.

Tolik99 (47) - USA - DEC 15, 2002
Red, winey, cherryish, refreshing wonder. My second 20/20 after Schlenkerla Marzen. 25 cl bottles make me crazy.

token25 (1) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 15, 2006 does not count
Taste is subjective...and while this is my very favorite beer in the world, it may not be yours. Try it and decide for yourself. I discovered this beer at the Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston, Ma. I’ve also encountered at at the Publick House in Brookline, MA. As far as bottled, I’ve found it at the Marty’s Liquors in both Newtonville, MA and Allson, MA.

gschrade (678) - Collinsville, USA - JUL 28, 2014
I had this at Global Brew. Pours reddish brown with a off white head. Taste sour, fruity, tart. I thought this was very good. I would definitely drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Perm (151) - Tryon, North Carolina, USA - MAR 30, 2008
750 mL bottle from the Hendersonville (NC) Food Co-Op....for $1.99/bottle!!

I’m stingy with my perfect 5’s, so I opted for a 19 on the Overall...after all, as another reviewer said, it’s hard to drink more than one of these at a go, even with the 5.1% ABV.

It is, nevertheless, an absolutely glorious concoction. I have been a champion of the Duchesse de Bourgogne for some time, but after a head-to-head with Rodenbach, the Duchess has been dethroned.

Poured into an oversize Merlot goblet.

Appearance: The color of madeira (or, for you low-brow types, Dr. Pepper. :) ). Burnt russet-brown with a lovely light-tan lacing of head. Beautifully stunning in the glass.

Nose: An extensive bouquet -- wild grapes, sour cherries, vanilla, a hint of balsamic vinegar, cloves, cardamom, white pepper, deep, dark hops, sourdough yeast, fresh-cut hay, plums, and maple syrup.

Taste: Similar to the nose -- a yummy sweet and sour! Balsamic vinegar, apple, plum, scuppernong grapes, cherries, white pepper, maple syrup, cloves, and sourdough bread.

Mouth/palate: Sharp, dry, spritzy, smooth, and full-bodied.

This really puts the Duchesse to shame. Try with artisan cheese, grilled meats (duck), or even Chinese food.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JamesD (243) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - APR 19, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2008 I adore this beer. I have a huge affinity for sour things and this beer is like a gift from god. It pours a rich brown, and the aroma is very sour with hints of earthy berries. The flavor is heavenly. Rich, smooth, sour, just the right amount of tartness. Hints of currants, cranberries, and figs permeate the taste of this beer. It has a vinuous character to it, which makes its palate quite complex. If you like sour ales, seek this out.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
stinkystinky (10) - columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 8, 2006
in honor of herb spencer my beer guru, "ahhhhh there’s nothing better than a rodenbach" followed by a long deep chuckle, a toast and a drining of the glass, good ol’ herb we miss you

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HellesBunny666 (186) - Virginia, USA - MAR 18, 2014
Sour macerated berries on the nose, funky, slightly metalic aroma. Sour cherries, oaky, overripe/fermented fruit flavors that linger. Light body, deliciously refreshing, I can?t get enough of it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 17, 2001
On tap at the Map Room in Chicago, during a drinking session with the visiting muzzlehatch. He pointed me in the direction of the Rodenbach, and I loved it. The tartness reminded me of the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic I had the other day, but this is a much more complex and rewarding beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
tjbjcpmaster99 (5) - Illinois, USA - DEC 4, 2001 does not count
World Classic, fairly easy drinking Flanders Red. Get it on tap if you can find it!