overall

RATINGS: 262   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Beard beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maierís beard. No need to freak out, brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same old growth beard since 1978 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great surprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard. What does beard beer taste like? try it, we think youíll be surprised...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 3/20
Pailhead (5748) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - MAR 28, 2015
Courtesy of tectactoe

Bottle: The aroma is pretty minimal...maybe some sweet lemon and grass...but itís barely there. It pours a hazy orange with with two finger white head that fades to a thin film outlined by a thicker ring. The flavor starts with light sweet cereal grains. The finish has light apple, grass, and faint grain. Itís light bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, I donít like the apple flavors and I donít understand what the goal was here. Itís not very good.

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
tectactoe (3125) - Michigan, USA - MAR 28, 2015
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2015 Bottle: Super cloudy, golden-orange buddy with a thick bubbled, off-white head. Smell is almost nonexistent. Faint musty cotton? Mild lemon? Weird plastic notes. Taste is plasticy, full of shitty cotton, mold, what the fuck is this crap. Fuck Rogue. This shit is fucken repugnant. They should have their goddamn brewing license revoked for putting this goddamn garbage juice on shelves. Son of a motherfucken bitch.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Listigovers (531) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 25, 2015
Maybe my love of facial hair makes me biased, or maybe itís my love of sour beers, but this is a home run. Wonderful sour aroma without the acidic smell. Orange pour with a long lasting white head. Taste is great, not really sour but funky with a long complex aftertaste. Taste is bretty, yeasty, really good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sledutah (6103) - Utah, USA - MAR 25, 2015
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2015 22oz bottle picked up at Albertsons in Boise
Pours slightly cloudy golden with a small off-white head, spotty lacing. Aroma of ripe fruit, Belgian yeast and herbal. Taste is tart, fruity, herbal, grains and oranges, spicy
I footbalmed this about half way through and changed my original rating. The warmer this gets the sweeter it gets. Reminds me of a cheap lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
magicmn (123) - Moscow, RUSSIA - MAR 24, 2015
Bottled. Very pale, aroma is soar but pleasant and clear for such kind of experiment. Taste is really friendly not too soar no catty or cheese, close to lambic or clear wild belgian ale. Interesting and refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
cards04 (2380) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 14, 2015
Pours a copper colour. Nice aromas of sweet bread and Belgian yeast. Similar flavours. A bit of a tang at the end. Pretty decent stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GJF (1371) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - MAR 7, 2015
Bottle from Johnís. Pale yellow pour. Subtle yeastiness. Slight sweet and fruitiness. Itís a nice creamy body, but so-so flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
northropfrye (2817) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - FEB 19, 2015
Orange body. Sweet bubblegum aroma. Sweet taste with a touch of fruit bubblegum cities and funk but not very sour at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
andrewje41 (1466) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - FEB 7, 2015
22 oz bottle poured. Poured at Special Brews, with two very well bearded individuals. My inability to grow a beard myself caused me to hesitate on trying this, out of pure peanut butter and jealousy. Maybe this stuff is some sort of magic potion that will allow someone with an ugly patchy thin beard such as myself to join the party. Either that or this is just a normal belgian style beer with a novelty idea to sell bottles. Iíll stick with option A. The beard growing process begins today. Now Iíve never tasted a beard before, so my opinion on this beer might be a little jaded. Pours a nice orange color with a foamy white head. Aroma is sweet apricot fruit, and belgian yeast. Or maybe itís beard yeast. Like I said, I have no idea. Is having a beard like a prerequisite for being a brewer? Iíve always wondered this. Iíve never seen a brew master that didnít have one. I make beer myself, but itís not very good. Maybe itís the beard. Iím learning a lot drinking this beer. Sweet fruity flavor throughout. Apricots, and oranges. A bit of a metal taste as well, which I found a little strange. Nice bready flavor in there as well, but mild. Iím not offended by this beer by any means. More or less for me, itís a very plain belgian ale, but I love the style, so ultimately, I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. If this beer enabled me to grow a beard, I will be sure to update this rating. Iíll drink this again. Enjoyed it. This entire rating could have been summed up with just two words, that I typically use for beer ratings a lot: good stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
PartyFowle (670) - - FEB 3, 2015
Bottle into a snifter. Translucent gold, topped with a fizzy head of white that pops away after a few seconds. The nose: sweet pear, red apple, white crackers, black pepper, some kind of moldy grossness. The yuck is subtle, but there. Slightly funky pear and apple flavor, with a backbone of moldy bread. Fairly dry finish. Drinking this beer is like those scenes in movies in which people eating some mystery meat talk about how good the meat tastes until they realize itís monkey or something. Itís a good beer until you think about what went into making it.