overall

RATINGS: 1910   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68   IBU: 59   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Brutal combines Oregon hops with English Malts. The Oregon grown Crystal hop is a triploid variety developed from the German Hallertau aroma hop variety with contributions from Cascade, Brewers Gold, and Early Green. Crystal is the only hop used in brewing Brutal and it provides a massive amount of aroma without dry-hopping. The English malts used are floor malted Pipkin (a mellow cross of Maris Otter and Warboys, from an English company called Beeston), Cara Vienna and Cara Wheat.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BekaTheWrekka (4) - Berkeley, California, USA - FEB 11, 2005 does not count
This is a good all-around brew. I’m a big IPA fan, and I am used to a variety of complex hops flavors. As there is only one kind of hop used in this ale, the hop complexity is limited. It smells great, but that may be because I am hyper-sensitive to hops right now (I brewed my first batch of beer yesterday, and now everything smells like hops, and my closet smells *dreamy*). Brutal Bitter is indeed a bit bitter (but I am quite used to double IPAs like Stone’s Ruination and Rogue XS I2PA), but it is perhaps a little bit more malt-centric than I like in a bitter brew. But those are just my personal tastes. This is a well-crafted, and if I may, daring, brew. To absolutely rely on Crystal hops is bold. I reccomend Brutal Bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonas (5637) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - FEB 10, 2005
Tap@Max’s, Baltimore MD
Mild grassy nose. Cloudy amber, creamy lacing head. Nice hop flavors (grass, herbs) plus some apricots. Medium body, smooth mouthfeel. Grassy aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - FEB 7, 2005
A chewy, toasty, malty bitter from the geniuses at Rogue! A clean-tasting, no frills bitter with hints of honey and wood. Excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 5, 2005
I bought this beer not knowing what I was getting myself into. I was expecting something more similar to an American IPA. The pour is coppery amber with a thin white head. There is a strong hop aroma, which maintained my optimism, but the hops are only present to create bitterness in the flavor. There’s little citrus or grass or any other standard hop flavors at all, just a serious amount of bitterness. Malts, and bitter. Aftertaste is mostly clean -- the bitterness doesn’t linger. It’s a good beer, just not what I expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 4, 2005
On draught. Pours a golden amber. Starts out with a watery but potent hit of floral hops. Nice citrissy lingering taste. Goos as a session ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jigglyjock (161) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 4, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2005 Pours a light cloudy honey color. Descent medium thick head which lasts a while. Aroma of bitter hops and citrus. Excelent citrus hop taste with a strong malt flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 3, 2005
Pours cloudy dark orange-amber, smells strongly of hops but not in an offensive manner. Not as bitter as I had hopped for with a name like brutal but still bitter and damn good. Tastses a lot like an IPA, nice lingering hop taste, thin lacing and medium pure white head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - FEB 1, 2005
Bottle 2004. Hazy amber/orange color with a medium size white head. Sweet aroma of hops, grapefruit and biscuit malt. Flavor is mildly bitter/hoppy at first with a decent malt backbone for balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
oh6gdx (20313) - Vasa, FINLAND - JAN 26, 2005
Hazy orange/brownish with white head. Smells of hops, barley and honey. The taste is mainly hops with influence of citrus and wheat. Hoppy and bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
rickgordon (3843) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - JAN 24, 2005
Bottled. Hazy orange. Big American Style hoppy nose, like an APA. Flavour is nutty, with hints of citrus. Finish is brutal bitter.