overall

RATINGS: 1840   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   IBU: 59   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Brutal combines Oregon hops with English Malts. The Oregon grown Crystal hop is a triploid variety developed from the German Hallertau aroma hop variety with contributions from Cascade, Brewers Gold, and Early Green. Crystal is the only hop used in brewing Brutal and it provides a massive amount of aroma without dry-hopping. The English malts used are floor malted Pipkin (a mellow cross of Maris Otter and Warboys, from an English company called Beeston), Cara Vienna and Cara Wheat.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mribm (450) - Hurley, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2002
I had this beer from a bottle. It poured without much of a head and was a cloudy copper-orange in color. The description at the top of the page says it has a massive amount of aroma. I detected a very slight malt aroma, no hops at all. The taste was another thing...very hoppy with a long lasting hop aftertaste and not much malt flavor. Iím a big fan of hops and of Rogue beers, however I donít think this has a very good hop/malt balance and it just isnít a very interesting beer to me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 7, 2002
Deep copper and cloudier than an Enron audit. Nice smell, flowery, I know thereís got to be some good hops in here....Ouch....yeah, brutal, pretty much a total hop attack. All else is lost in the mix, no balance. Not really an IPA, and not at all a bitter in the traditional sense, I think Iíd rather just get me a pack of crystal and a shot of vodka. Go for the newer íDouble IPAsí and compare. This just a mad hop experiment gone crazy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 4, 2002
HAd this from a menu that said it was an IPA. Lots of hops to be sure, but not exactly as styrong as I expected. So a little dissapointment due to false advertisment, but still an excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - JUL 30, 2002
On tap at Sunspot in Knoxville, TB. Hazy, copper color with bubbly head that dies down quickly. Definitely bitter but I didnít get any aroma or flavor hops. Overcarbonated for a bitter. Needs more balance - left a heavy feeling in my stomach, perhaps from residual sugars.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sleepdirt (169) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JUL 29, 2002
Very pronounced hop presence,good body. Excellent bitter!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Oops I have to re-rate. I accidentally submitted overall as 1/20. Strong Bitter. Very hoppy. It could use more of an after-taste but this Rogue Ale still could not let you down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cathcacr (630) - Oregon, USA - JUL 27, 2002
Update 7/27/02: A bit of a downgrade but itís still quite underrated at an average of only 3.8. This is like a really good American Pale Ale with lots of citrus thrown in. Yum!

A really excellent brew; I just tried this íbrutally bitterí beer, right after I tried Stoneís IPA, so maybe it didnít come across as bitter as it might otherwise would. (Somewhat milder in comparison.) Nice orange color just like the IPA, but translucent, contra the IPAís transparency. As other reviewers noted, thereís a lot going on with citrus flavors; a certain kind of citric acidity comes through. In fact, the look, smell and taste remind me of grapefruit juice. Strong and memorable, just really a fun drink. At $4 a 22 oz bottle, itís harder to come back to time and time again, but I expect Iíll buy another bottle next time at the store. Congrats to Rogue Brewing Co., creators of some of the best American brews Iíve had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2002
ESBPA. Starts out with strong malts like a good ole ESB, then finishes with heavy hops. Interesting attempt, not my favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HH (165) - Everett, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2002
The name says it all. Actually this is a good hoppey beer. Always a worthy pint whenever I can manage to find it. Another good one from Rogue. May try Fredís Rivertown Alehouse.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
aracauna (2994) - Georgia, USA - JUL 15, 2002
Rogue definitely impressed me with this beer. Iím definitely hard to impress when it comes to styles like bitters and IPAs, but I like this beer. Bitterness is well balanced by a fullness of flavor. Iíll come back and flesh out this review when I try it again with note-taking materials available.