Rogue Chamomellow
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 80   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31   ABV: -
Chamomellow is an herbal golden ale infused with chamomile, which provides an enticing floral aroma. Chamomile is one of the oldest garden herbs used by ancient Egyptians and other cultures to battle illness, promote calm and relieve anxiety, hence the name Chamomellow. Dedicated to Caleb McLoughlin, a revolutionary brewer who created this elixir at Rogue’s Issaquah Brewhouse and won a Gold medal in the Herbs & Spice category at the 2003 Great American Beer Festival.

Chamemollow is created from Northwest Harrington and Klages, and Maier Munich Malts (18% speciality grains, .19 lbs grain per bottle). Kent Golding and Cascade hops, and infused with Chamomile. Available in a limited edition 22-ounce bottles (originally as Test Batch 1 - Gold Medal Series), and on draft at Rogue’s six Public Houses.

Nuffield (3671) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Very herbal aroma, plus a strong apple bake (when you core apples and bake them in aluminum foil with some spices like cinnamon chucked in the center). Attractive. Moderate hazy amber color, no head. Big time chamomile tea flavor and there is the sense that someone waved a mint leaf over the bottle before it was capped. Good life in body, smooth but with carbonation coming out on the palate. I returned to the remnants in the bottle at the end of the evening and it was still a fascinating and fun beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Bottle. Crystal-blonde appearance. "Christmasy" is the best way to describe this stuff. Of the attendees of the great Dallas tasting of summer 2003, we came up with all of the following words to describe it: ginger, cinnamon, cookies, gingerbread, apple pie. I agree with all of it, and it made a nice sweet mix.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mushi (18) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - AUG 12, 2003
On draft at the brewpub. Pours a nice golden color. I couldn't tell if it smelled sweeter or tasted sweeter. Definite honey and tea flavors. Overall, this is almost too sweet to be a beer. Almost something you'd want for dessert, if you were in the mood for something different. Easily the most sugary brew I've had though my experience is limited. Also, beware, this stuff can put you to sleep. (was temporarily dubbed 'sleepy time' at the brewpub)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
legion242 (2187) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUL 29, 2003
Strange was the first thing that I thought. Lots of sweetness lent from the tea. I detected a lot of cinnamon and it just felt a lot like to chirstmas to me?!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
3fourths (8020) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUN 26, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2004 Chamomellow: Sweet chamomile and apple crisp aroma, with a sweet fruity and spiced chamomile flavor, really delicious. Very mellow with orange and peach flavors, and a light crisp finish. Better than the first time I had it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
Crit (3350) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 22, 2003
Flowery nose and taste of chamomile. Just an experiment, and not a great one

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GermanBrews76 (678) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 28, 2003
Fortunately I got to drink a few of these while getting a ride around the Newport Bay in this really cool little boat from the 1940's. It was a treat. I just forget to rate this every time I drink it, but I'm certain I can roll off exactly what I was thinking. I really like chamomile tea, so that helps immediately. Light and a bit cirtucy, bubbly and crystal clear, chamomile is all over for sure, especially on the finish. It is a great beer for my mother, who was raised in the macrobrew capitol of the world, as she truly enjoy tea, including chamomile, and also some of the sweeter belgian goldens, belgian wheats and some pilseners. definite "ginger bread" character to it (thanks Zach). I like it for what it is, artful, creative, original and drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - APR 27, 2003
chamomile flowery aroma, looks like a kolsch, strong chamomile finish, tastes like a ginger snap in beer form, lacks complexity but a nice experiment

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - MAR 31, 2003
Oh my god...who thought this up? Amazingly it's pretty damn good. The Chamomile is very strong but tastes more like a lemon/limey sweet treat like 7-up, lime Talking Rain, or something from my childhood I can't quite put my finger on. Compared to Chamomile tea this is much less flowery (dandelion) and lacks that rooty herbal flavor - instead this is very refreshing, tasty, and a bit of a fresh breath after a few Shakespears.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 29, 2003
Big chamomile taste, as you would expect. Rogue can put any taste into a beer if they try to. However, this was pretty much all that was going on, not too complex. Very drinkable and pleasent though.