overall

RATINGS: 1089   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with beer: Chipotle Ale is based on Rogue’s Oregon Golden Ale, but delicately spiced with smoked chipotle chile peppers. Deep golden in color with a tight head, rich malty aroma, delicately smooth and crisp flavor, and subtle chipotle chili finish. Formerly known and packages as Mexicali Rogue, Chipotle Ale is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, and Maier Munich Malts; Willamette and Cascade hops; and Smoked Jalapeno (Chipolte) Peppers. Chipotle Ale is targeted for spring release and available in a 22-ounce bottle and on draft. Blend it with Rogue Chocolate Stout and create a Mole’ black and tan!

Measurements: 12 degrees Plato, IBU 35, Apparent attenuation 82, Lovibond 23

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hotstuff (4058) - Indiana, USA - APR 2, 2004
Bottle. This beer formed a small sized white head with fine-small sized bubbles that quickly dissipated. The body was carbonated and transparent with a gold-orange hue. The aroma was malty, hoppy, sweet, spicy, fruity and some spicy notes. The taste was peppery and spicy. This was a medium bodied beer with very sparse lacing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - APR 1, 2004
Pretty much identical to the yellow snow pale ale. the only taste of the chilis was a tingle on the lips and in the belly and a sweetness at the end. otherwisea typical pale ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
thedm (4927) - Fort Wayne, USA - APR 1, 2004
This bottled brew poured a large head of fine to medium sized white colored long lasting bubbles that left behind a fair lacing. The body was transparent hazy carbonated light yellow orange brown color and the aroma was malty with a slight but noticeabole hop content. The mouth feel was hoppy tingly crisp with a slight lingering peppery finish. The flavor contained notes of malt hops peppers and clove. The flavor does build over time getting hotter and hotter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 11, 2004
Laid back in an old saloon, with a peso in my hand, Watchin’ flies and children on the street, And I catch a glimpse of black-eyed girls who giggle when I smile, There’s a little boy who wants to shine my feet. And it’s three days ride from Bakersfield and I don’t know why I came. I guess I came to keep from payin’ dues. So instead I’ve got a bottle and a girl who’s just fourteen, And a damn good case of the Mexicali blues. yeh! Is there anything a man don’t stand to lose, When the devil wants to take it all away? Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze, Cause thinkin’ and drinkin’ are all I have today.
This was a terrific Ale!
Golden body, a thick white head that lasted for eternity, caramel malts, and the aroma and flavor were KILLER! Lovely notes of smoky roasted red peppers; the chipolata presence was a faultless fit, I’ll remember this beer always……. And I’m going to go and buy 2 more bottles tomorrow morning. Unique, delicious, refreshing, and memorable….. What more could I ask for?

She said her name was Billy Jean and she was fresh in town. I didn’t know a stage line ran from hell. She had raven hair, a ruffled dress, a necklace made of gold, All the French perfume you’d care to smell. She took me up into her room and whispered in my ear, "go on, my friend, do anything you choose." Now I’m payin’ for those happy hours I spent there in her arms, With a lifetime’s worth of the Mexicali blues.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
envane (567) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 1, 2004
A pretty ho-hum Rogue ale, except with peppers. And despite what others have said, you can taste (and smell) them. The spicyness is subtle, as it should be, balanced with sweet malt, and a little smoky. The heat will build up if you drink it too quickly, which makes you want to drink more, which makes it even hotter... yeah, not much of a point. Interesting, no bad, just not what I look for in a beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DCopperfields (145) - Alabama, USA - FEB 3, 2004
A cloudy orangish amber, this beer has a white head which recedes to just a wisp in mere minutes. Globs of lace adhere stubbornly to the glass. The nose is doughy bread, ripe plums and a hint of sour apple. A sickly, fruity sweetness of sorts, makes me wonder what my first sip will be like. No peppers in my aroma, that is certain. Medium mouthfeel, somewhat acidic up front, followed quickly by a wave of sweet malt, with a lingering, smoky spiciness riding shotgun, just there for the ride. The back end has enough hops to give this beer some oomph, but like most of Rogue's brews, very well balanced indeed. Finishes somewhat cleanly, with a vaguely spicy, sweet aftertaste. Very good, all things considered, and unique.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3229) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - JAN 23, 2004
22oz bottle-Thanks to Phillybeer 2112 for sending this one my way. Pours a cloudy orange apearance-very nice. Medium carbonation with big bubbles. Malty aroma with a touch of smoke from the chipotle peppers. Similar to Rogue YSB. palate is pretty medium bodied. The peppers give a subtle spice in the finish. very cool and unique session beer. I like it!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 7, 2004
Not a damn chile to be found. Some malts, lightly hopped, slight malty aroma, overly unforgettable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
raymow (798) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2003
I liked it but I didn't notice any chili flavor. Slightly malty aroma. Light orange/yellow in the glass. Pretty good - as most Rogue's are.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kinz (3258) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Light hazy orange, decent head that faded away. Aroma faintly of malt, some undefined hops. Tasted like, well, ale. Balanced. No peppers or smoke detectable to me. Maybe a hint of smoke on the nose as it warmed.