overall

RATINGS: 1084   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with beer: Chipotle Ale is based on Rogue’s Oregon Golden Ale, but delicately spiced with smoked chipotle chile peppers. Deep golden in color with a tight head, rich malty aroma, delicately smooth and crisp flavor, and subtle chipotle chili finish. Formerly known and packages as Mexicali Rogue, Chipotle Ale is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, and Maier Munich Malts; Willamette and Cascade hops; and Smoked Jalapeno (Chipolte) Peppers. Chipotle Ale is targeted for spring release and available in a 22-ounce bottle and on draft. Blend it with Rogue Chocolate Stout and create a Mole’ black and tan!

Measurements: 12 degrees Plato, IBU 35, Apparent attenuation 82, Lovibond 23

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DCopperfields (145) - Alabama, USA - FEB 3, 2004
A cloudy orangish amber, this beer has a white head which recedes to just a wisp in mere minutes. Globs of lace adhere stubbornly to the glass. The nose is doughy bread, ripe plums and a hint of sour apple. A sickly, fruity sweetness of sorts, makes me wonder what my first sip will be like. No peppers in my aroma, that is certain. Medium mouthfeel, somewhat acidic up front, followed quickly by a wave of sweet malt, with a lingering, smoky spiciness riding shotgun, just there for the ride. The back end has enough hops to give this beer some oomph, but like most of Rogue's brews, very well balanced indeed. Finishes somewhat cleanly, with a vaguely spicy, sweet aftertaste. Very good, all things considered, and unique.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3217) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - JAN 23, 2004
22oz bottle-Thanks to Phillybeer 2112 for sending this one my way. Pours a cloudy orange apearance-very nice. Medium carbonation with big bubbles. Malty aroma with a touch of smoke from the chipotle peppers. Similar to Rogue YSB. palate is pretty medium bodied. The peppers give a subtle spice in the finish. very cool and unique session beer. I like it!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 7, 2004
Not a damn chile to be found. Some malts, lightly hopped, slight malty aroma, overly unforgettable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
raymow (798) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2003
I liked it but I didn't notice any chili flavor. Slightly malty aroma. Light orange/yellow in the glass. Pretty good - as most Rogue's are.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kinz (3251) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Light hazy orange, decent head that faded away. Aroma faintly of malt, some undefined hops. Tasted like, well, ale. Balanced. No peppers or smoke detectable to me. Maybe a hint of smoke on the nose as it warmed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aubrey (3430) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2005 Into my first sip, I had about three-fourths of a second to detect the light, sweet malts before the chipotle took over. A peppery hotness shot up my nose and made me want to sneeze. On my second sip I was like, "this isn’t very hot ... and I can really taste the flavor of the pepper." But the spicy hotness kept building. It warmed my throat and I thought it was going to give me heartburn. Not bad, but I couldn’t drink too much of it. I’m sure it would be awesome to cook with though! Rerate Chipotle: Roasty and toasted, with a healthy smoky note. Slight pepper burn in the finish, but nothing like Cave Creek. Great to cook with ...

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Okay, had this in a 22 oz bottle that I couldn't finish. Without the peppers it would be too light, with the peppers it just becomes disgusting. Had a smoked taste to it, but that was all I got out of it. Maybe I got a bad bottle, I'll give it another try some time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2003
Comes across like a crisp pils - with a bit of spice from the peppers mixed in. Spice is subdued, almost hidden completely, but it does warm up the belly just a bit. Not bad at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ARMed (597) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 1, 2003
A very hoppy beer that resembles the Victory Prima Pils and the Hop Devil, though not nearly as nice. Not the most pretty beer in the world. Dark orange golden couldy beer with a nice bubbly head. Can't taste the peppers at all, just the full-bodied hoppiness that penetrates the brew. Not one of my favorites.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Light with hoppy flavors and aromas. When you drink this you feel the warmth in your belly of the chili peppers, nothing to taste of spicyness though. Good malt profile but I detected a little DMS in the aroma but not that bad.