overall

RATINGS: 1084   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with beer: Chipotle Ale is based on Rogue’s Oregon Golden Ale, but delicately spiced with smoked chipotle chile peppers. Deep golden in color with a tight head, rich malty aroma, delicately smooth and crisp flavor, and subtle chipotle chili finish. Formerly known and packages as Mexicali Rogue, Chipotle Ale is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, and Maier Munich Malts; Willamette and Cascade hops; and Smoked Jalapeno (Chipolte) Peppers. Chipotle Ale is targeted for spring release and available in a 22-ounce bottle and on draft. Blend it with Rogue Chocolate Stout and create a Mole’ black and tan!

Measurements: 12 degrees Plato, IBU 35, Apparent attenuation 82, Lovibond 23

ChrisBeest's rating

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
ChrisBeest (43) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - FEB 18, 2002
To save money, I’ve decided to take shots of Tabasco sauce instead of drink this unbelievably spicy beer, not something I’m used to.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Buongiorgio00 (720) - - JUL 8, 2014
Niente di superlativo ma comunque buona, maltata, leggermente amara e con un tocco tostato invitante.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lownote (37) - USA - JUL 3, 2014
Pours a cloudy copper color with a quickly dissipating thick white head from bottle into a pint glass. Smells like barbecue! Tastes full of mild hops chipotle and a bit of smokiness. Finish is bitter. Light mouth feel. Enjoyable and refreshing but not particularly exciting

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
seanpg (27) - IRELAND - JUN 27, 2014
Rogue either nails it or they fall into the middle ground and for me this one is in the middle ground. While the chilli is there is just not nice and not balanced within the beer. I had this froma Rogue brewpub in San Francisco and I wouldn’t want to try it again. Mediocre

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jkharper2007 (20) - Grovetown, Georgia, USA - JUN 26, 2014
Not sure what’s up with all the low ratings with this beer. I enjoyed it, had it last year and got another growler this year. Pour a nice reddish/golden color, not a lot of head or lacing though. Carbonation throughout. Smells spicier than it tastes. Tastes like a nice pale ale with a slight hint of spice on the finish, the spice lingers for me. Not hot at all though, just enough to give a warm feel to your tongue. Carbonation is nice, a little light on body for me. Overall a nice beer. I liked it enough to grab a Growler two years in a row

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
dfinney23 (1573) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 25, 2014
What’s with the low ratings for this beer? If you don’t know how to pronounce chipotle you probably shouldn’t drink it. Just saw the "Mole black and tan" suggestion in the commercial description -- will have to try that! Terrific roasted pepper aroma. Taste is a little one-dimensional but yummy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jimmythefalcon (26) - Florida, USA - JUN 10, 2014
Overall I like this beer, even if the ratings are a bit low. I am a fan of spicy beers and this beer delivered that for me. The chipotle flavoring and crispness were well done in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ads135 (2814) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - JUN 7, 2014
The pepper is certainly the most dynamic part of an already nice beer. Light caramel base, some subtle hops. Tried at the DC Drink the District Derby Days with Matt and Justin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
KansaiBeerLvrs (1592) - Kyoto, JAPAN - JUN 6, 2014
On tap at Beer Keiyaki Spring 2014. I just found this scrunched up not with my rating. It was probably my last beer of the night so I will do my best do get through the semi-legible scrawl. A dark reddish copper pour with a filmy white head. Biscuity & fruity with some sourness. I got to try this again when I haven’t had 20 beers beforehand... my hazy recollection is that it was satisfying.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ThomasRL (1) - Quebec, CANADA - MAY 29, 2014 does not count
Ambrée relativement légerte, correcte. Pauvre mousse. Fumé dominant. Légčrement piquante en finale

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
vinhol (242) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 24, 2014
On tap beer delux malt aroma deep amber in colour taste us spicey malty really good stuff